How is the west division so bad?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

With fertile recruiting grounds of California, Hawaii, and Las Vegas area why are these teams in the western division so awful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

pokefanchaz7 wrote:With fertile recruiting grounds of California, Hawaii, and Las Vegas area why are these teams in the western division so awful

Yeah, wondering how bad SJSU is versus how good SDSU's defense is. Really stinks (for the conference) that SDSU has that loss to South Alabama, but at least they beat Cal?
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

How many people are there rooting on a 5-1 team? Looks bad

W-Y, Until I Die!
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

At least , Hawaii, UNLV and Nevada have a decent fan base. SDSU and San Jose are just embarrassing.

SDSU put 20,000 in the stands for the MWC championship game in their own building, with San Diego weather.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

It might get worse too, rumors swirling Rocky Long will retire after 2016.

Hawaii and UNLV are making strides. Nevada is running in place. Fresno is horrible, BUT they have talent to work with when they bring in a new staff in 2017. I don't know why SJSU does things.

...but the Mountain Division has no room to talk. Air Force is looking a tad overrated, Utah State is 2-4 this season after going 6-7 in 2015. CSU has fallen from its brief high in 2014. Bob Davie has done a great job at UNM, but they'll always be the Lobos. The conference just isn't very good right now, Bohl and co. are well poised to ascend.

That said, who the f-word really knows? Three years ago, Fresno had the fiercest monster in the conference. Two years ago Colorado State won 10+ games. Didn't take long for it all to unravel. I have a hard to figuring out what will happen this week, let alone 2-3 years from now.

But as of this moment...the MW is :poop:
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

J-Rod wrote:It might get worse too, rumors swirling Rocky Long will retire after 2016.

Hawaii and UNLV are making strides. Nevada is running in place. Fresno is horrible, BUT they have talent to work with when they bring in a new staff in 2017. I don't know why SJSU does things.

...but the Mountain Division has no room to talk. Air Force is looking a tad overrated, Utah State is 2-4 this season after going 6-7 in 2015. CSU has fallen from its brief high in 2014. Bob Davie has done a great job at UNM, but they'll always be the Lobos. The conference just isn't very good right now, Bohl and co. are well poised to ascend.

That said, who the f-word really knows? Three years ago, Fresno had the fiercest monster in the conference. Two years ago Colorado State won 10+ games. Didn't take long for it all to unravel. I have a hard to figuring out what will happen this week, let alone 2-3 years from now.

But as of this moment...the MW is :poop:
Air Force beat Navy who beat Houston who beat Oklahoma..and so on and so forth. AFA was undefeated before playing Wyoming. Boise is undefeated. CSU is playing okay..they got blown out by CU, but played Minnesota tough. Their only other loss is to us. And the Pokes are much improved. USU was going to fall off eventually. They had been playing over their heads the past few years.
Last edited by JimmyDimes on Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

I'm not saying the mountain division is superior but saying that teams in the mountain division have to recruit players to colder climates, smaller cities etc. you can see why mountain teams have a challenging task . But we are talking about recruiting to the Bay Area, Southern California, Hawaii, and even Fresno. These teams have a built in advantage so it's that much worse.

C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

pokefanchaz7 wrote:I'm not saying the mountain division is superior but saying that teams in the mountain division have to recruit players to colder climates, smaller cities etc. you can see why mountain teams have a challenging task . But we are talking about recruiting to the Bay Area, Southern California, Hawaii, and even Fresno. These teams have a built in advantage so it's that much worse.

It is surprising no doubt. Remember when DeRuyter was Chris Petersen 2.0? I'm still trying to grasp what happened to them. They DO have talent. Best WR corps in the MWC. But it's just not happening for reasons I don't understand.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

pokefanchaz7 wrote:But we are talking about recruiting to the Bay Area, Southern California, Hawaii, and even Fresno. These teams have a built in advantage so it's that much worse.
They also have much more competition for recruits. Everyone recruits California. And closer to home you still have historic programs that recruits are more drawn to. SJSU is in Stanford's backyard, as an example.

Beyond that, I don't know Fresno's situation, but I'm pretty sure the other three are behind in the facilities arms race. That's huge in this era of college football recruiting.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

joshvanklomp wrote: They also have much more competition for recruits. Everyone recruits California. And closer to home you still have historic programs that recruits are more drawn to. SJSU is in Stanford's backyard, as an example.

Beyond that, I don't know Fresno's situation, but I'm pretty sure the other three are behind in the facilities arms race. That's huge in this era of college football recruiting.
Spot on.

http://www.fresnobee.com/sports/college ... 64302.html
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

I think it boils down to coaching, really. Long is the only coach that you could call decent in that division.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

joshvanklomp wrote:
pokefanchaz7 wrote:But we are talking about recruiting to the Bay Area, Southern California, Hawaii, and even Fresno. These teams have a built in advantage so it's that much worse.
They also have much more competition for recruits. Everyone recruits California. And closer to home you still have historic programs that recruits are more drawn to. SJSU is in Stanford's backyard, as an example.

Fresno was normally a solid program. But Pat Hill (their last HC) had one losing season, and got canned. In came Tim DeRuyter, who was known for defenses at Air Force and Texas A&M, and he rode Hill's recruits hard to two conference titles.

How do I know it was Hill's players and not his own? Because none of DeRuyter's players did a whole lot, and it was mostly Hill's. Since Carr left, Fresno has basically slid right off the cliff to join SJSU.