In case you young guys we're wondering, this IS Cowboy Tough football.

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

yopaulie wrote:
cali2wyo wrote:
joshvanklomp wrote:
cali2wyo wrote:???
All I saw is a team that won't be able to hold Boise under 700 pass yards.
Apparently it's no longer about if you win the game but how you play the game?? Maybe the biggest statement as to where this program is going. Fans are no longer satisfied with just getting a road victory.
Nice job only quoting part of my post to drive your point. Obviously I'm stoked we're 3-0 in conference, better than 99% of us expected, and our team is making major strides in some areas. All I pointed out is that our pass defense needs to improve drastically if we want to be 4-0
No, your point was to say ???? to the assertion of cowboy tough. Seems absurd after running for 400 yards, getting a road victory, and doing it without our top two dlineman.
No poop. We almost outgained their total offense in rushing yards alone. We didn't need to open up the offense because we were playing with a two TD cushion most of the game.

That was Nevada's first home loss of the year and they played inspired. I'll take the win and look forward to the D bouncing back next weekend in front of a large home crowd.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

yopaulie wrote:
cali2wyo wrote:
joshvanklomp wrote:
cali2wyo wrote:???
All I saw is a team that won't be able to hold Boise under 700 pass yards.
Apparently it's no longer about if you win the game but how you play the game?? Maybe the biggest statement as to where this program is going. Fans are no longer satisfied with just getting a road victory.
Nice job only quoting part of my post to drive your point. Obviously I'm stoked we're 3-0 in conference, better than 99% of us expected, and our team is making major strides in some areas. All I pointed out is that our pass defense needs to improve drastically if we want to be 4-0
No, your point was to say ???? to the assertion of cowboy tough. Seems absurd after running for 400 yards, getting a road victory, and doing it without our top two dlineman.
If Cowboy Tough means you have a mean right hand and a withered left one, then yeah, we're "Cowboy Tough".

Being as this game requires both offense AND defense, then I, and any rational person, would consider this team Cowboy Semi-Tough.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
JohnnySunshine
Buckaroo

Cowboy tough sure doesn't have high expectations.

The run game (Brian Hill) looks nice. The defensive line is coming along. The defense has a long ways to go before it's Bohl Cowboy tough.

Good to see the wins rolling and I think he'll continue to build your program in the right direction.
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

This program is still a work in progress. Everyone can see that. Defensively: Bigger, stronger, faster, more depth, more experience needed. Lack of pressure upfront without Appleby and Granderson last night hurt.

The great news is this is a 180 from last year and the Pokes are playing a very meaningful game next week. By Year-Five, Bohl and the Boyz could/should be at a point to start wiping the smirk off Boise's face. Still hoping for a lights-out upset this week. Students need to bring intense energy early for the players and other fans to feed on.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

POKE FAN wrote:This program is still a work in progress. Everyone can see that. Defensively: Bigger, stronger, faster, more depth, more experience needed. Lack of pressure upfront without Appleby and Granderson last night hurt.

The great news is this is a 180 from last year and the Pokes are playing a very meaningful game next week. By Year-Five, Bohl and the Boyz could/should be at a point to start wiping the smirk off Boise's face. Still hoping for a lights-out upset this week. Students need to bring intense energy early for the players and other fans to feed on.
If Wyo wins this week, that smirk will be wiped off.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

The fact that its a evening game should help, at least I'd assume. Not too late like the NIU game is but late enough for the student section to be buzzing really good, at least for the first half
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

I agree with the posters that say our defense has a long way to go. We don't have the depth and personnel on that side of the ball to dominate people yet. That doesn't mean they can't play Cowboy Tough. Cowboy Tough is more a mentality, not a reflection of depth/talent. The defense certainly didn't give up and they found a way to win. They we're playing without our two best defensive linemen on a team with little depth. Yet, they got off of the field when we needed them to and improved to 3-0.

My point was more about the offense. When you can run the ball for 400 yards, with 12 total passes, and everyone on Nevada's sideline knowing we're going to run the ball almost every down: that is Cowboy Tough.

My point was that Craig Bohl was right. He said I would recognize when I saw it, and I saw it when we lined up and smashed the ball down Nevada's throat for the better part of four quarters. Finding out that we did it with Brian Hill sick, only shows that I'm right. We are playing Cowboy Tough football.

I completely agree that the defense has a lot of work to do, but that has more to do with limited personnel due to Craig Bohl only having three recruiting seasons to rebuild the worst tackling, smallest, slowest and weakest defense that I can remember in the history of Wyoming football. That doesn't mean that they can't have a Cowboy Tough mentality. I think they've shown that with the bend but don't break mentality on a defense that is realistically a year away(at the least) from having a dominant personnel group to play with.

Some fans need to keep their heads on straight and remember where we're at. We're in year three of the Bohl rebuilding cycle after one of the worst Wyoming defenses in Cowboys history.

Go Pokes!!
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Did anyone else notice that we played a different pass defense last night than we have played all season so far? It sure looked like it to me - this looked like the pass defense we played last year giving the receivers a 10 yard cushion instead of playing the receivers tight like we had been.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
yopaulie
Ranch Hand

I think we actually blitzed quite a bit last night, but were very unsuccessful with it, and maybe had our corners play off to compensate.
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

Definitely blitzed more and didn't get there a lot
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

WYCowboy wrote:Did anyone else notice that we played a different pass defense last night than we have played all season so far? It sure looked like it to me - this looked like the pass defense we played last year giving the receivers a 10 yard cushion instead of playing the receivers tight like we had been.
Yeah, I think that has more to do with us jumping out to a lead and trying to dominate the game with our rushing offense. We looked like we were content to force Nevada to drive the ball down the field on us. We we're trying to eliminate the big plays and make them go the long, hard way to score.

Stanard seemed like he was perfectly content to play conservatively on defense to allow our rushing offense to beat Nevada down and get the win.

It worked. It just doesn't make the defense look great. We give up tons of yardage when we play that way.

National Champions 1943.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

I do.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

BeaverPoke wrote:
POKE FAN wrote:This program is still a work in progress. Everyone can see that. Defensively: Bigger, stronger, faster, more depth, more experience needed. Lack of pressure upfront without Appleby and Granderson last night hurt.

Plus, I could drive a buddy of mine completely insane! :winky: :D
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

Cowboy Junky wrote:
WYCowboy wrote:Did anyone else notice that we played a different pass defense last night than we have played all season so far? It sure looked like it to me - this looked like the pass defense we played last year giving the receivers a 10 yard cushion instead of playing the receivers tight like we had been.
Yeah, I think that has more to do with us jumping out to a lead and trying to dominate the game with our rushing offense. We looked like we were content to force Nevada to drive the ball down the field on us. We we're trying to eliminate the big plays and make them go the long, hard way to score.

Stanard seemed like he was perfectly content to play conservatively on defense to allow our rushing offense to beat Nevada down and get the win.

It worked. It just doesn't make the defense look great. We give up tons of yardage when we play that way.
Seems to me like he coaches not to lose instead of coaching to win anytime we're In the 4th quarter.

If he coaches that way against BSU we'll all be blaming the loss on him. He has to nail the coffin shut and keep the hammer down the entire game the second he lets up we lose focus and momentum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Wyo2dal on Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Wyokie wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:

That would be worth the price of admission.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

Wyo2dal wrote:
Cowboy Junky wrote:

Seems to me like he coaches not to lose instead of coaching to win anytime we're In the 4th quarter.

If he coaches that way against BSU we'll all be blaming the loss on him. He has to nail the coffin shut and keep the hammer down the entire game the second he lets up we lose focus and momentum.

It's worked this year. It's taken a team with 2 losses, that has little depth at most positions, and put us in position to be bowl eligible in the 8th game of the year.

It didn't work against EMU. They came back and beat us.

It did work against UNI, CSU, AFA, UC Davis, and Nevada. We won all five of those games playing conservatively in the second half.

So far, the style has us sitting at 5-2.

National Champions 1943.

I do.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

This thread in a nutshell:

Poster A: This team has achieved an abstract concept that is unquantifiable by any known means of measurement.

Poster B: Are you crazy, this team is nowhere near achieving that immesaurable abstract conept.

Posters C-Z: I think we're shades of gray on our way to that abstract concept... :lol: :lol:
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

Cowboy Junky wrote:
Wyo2dal wrote:
Cowboy Junky wrote:

It's worked this year. It's taken a team with 2 losses, that has little depth at most positions, and put us in position to be bowl eligible in the 8th game of the year.

It did work against UNI, CSU, AFA, UC Davis, and Nevada. We won all five of those games playing conservatively in the second half.

None of those teams are nationally ranked, have put up video game numbers in previous games and have taken us to the woodshed every time they play us.

Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

Wyo2dal wrote:
Cowboy Junky wrote:
Wyo2dal wrote:
Cowboy Junky wrote:

None of those teams are nationally ranked, have put up video game numbers in previous games and have taken us to the woodshed every time they play us.

I don't disagree with you about Boise, just the implication that the conservative play calling hasn't worked. It has worked enough for us to have three more wins than last year with 5 games remaining.

I think Vigen is finding his legs. In fact, I think he's doing an outstanding job calling plays. The naked boot and the reverse pass worked to perfection and those were aggressive play calls.

Stanard didn't have to be aggressive with his play calling last night because Nevada couldn't stop us from jamming the ball down their throats. He went conservative after Chase went down and after we we're up by 15 points.

I don't think we'll have that luxury vs. Boise. If we get up on them by two touchdowns in the second half, we will need to remain aggressive or they'll beat us.

It has worked the majority of this season though.

National Champions 1943.

I do.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Anyone hear how Appleby is?
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

WYCowboy wrote:
Wyokie wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:

That would be worth the price of admission.
I've had lots of practice with other people over the years. :winky:
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!