MWC Championship Game- SDSU@WYO

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

LanderPoke wrote:
Wyo2dal wrote:Quite possibly the worst game all year, the effort wasn't there except a couple plays. Very disappointing way to end the season and it's just going to keep the fans away instead of them embracing the team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lol step off the ledge, man. To make a comment like that you must be drunk. The kids played their butts off and tried their damndest
Compare this game to games we lost and they still played better. The effort wasn't there tonight I'm sorry you think it was and I'm not drunk I watched the game SDSU wanted this game more and they played like it.

Even games we lost I saw more effort than I saw during some of the game tonight. There were a number of plays were were not plugging lanes and not playing sound defense.

I'm not watching in Brown and Gold glasses. Maybe you saw 100% effort but I for one saw a lot of bad play.

Just because I'm being realistic sure doesn't mean I don't respect them. I just saw a lack of effort and it's disappointing that we beat ourselves.

LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 595 times
Been liked: 238 times

Wyokie wrote:
LanderPoke wrote:
Wyo2dal wrote:Quite possibly the worst game all year, the effort wasn't there except a couple plays. Very disappointing way to end the season and it's just going to keep the fans away instead of them embracing the team.

lol step off the ledge, man. To make a comment like that you must be drunk. The kids played their butts off and tried their damndest
Yeah but we still lost! You play to win, not to get a participation award.

Last outright conference title....1988....when's the next one going to be? 30 more years????!!!
You are stupid. Division champions, nearly won the conference. Go ahead complain some more. Geez. :eek:
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

rich22 wrote:
fromolwyoming wrote:
rich22 wrote:
Wyokie wrote:Vigen needs to be fired ASAP!!!!

Losing 3 out of the last 4 games INCLUDING hosting the MWC Championship is BEYOND PATHETIC!!!!!!!!!!!!
Knee jerk reaction would not help anything.
Fire him? Maybe not just yet. But he has GOT to make adjustments, change things up when what he is using, isn't working at all.
I agree he needs to make better adjustments but the underneath receiver was open all night. Josh just had guys in his face all game. Also how do we even consider firing the coordinator for the number one offense in the conference?
No joke. People that want Vigen fired are prisoners of the moment. Our offense was great most of the year. Holy crap
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Wyokie wrote:Yeah but we still lost! You play to win, not to get a participation award.

Last outright conference title....1988....when's the next one going to be? 30 more years????!!!
So basically your saying that there's no difference between any season that doesn't end in a title? That thos season was the same as going 2-10 a season ago?

Okay then....
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
Poke-proud
Cowpoke

LanderPoke wrote:
rich22 wrote:
fromolwyoming wrote:
rich22 wrote:

Losing 3 out of the last 4 games INCLUDING hosting the MWC Championship is BEYOND PATHETIC!!!!!!!!!!!!
Fire him? Maybe not just yet. But he has GOT to make adjustments, change things up when what he is using, isn't working at all.
I agree he needs to make better adjustments but the underneath receiver was open all night. Josh just had guys in his face all game. Also how do we even consider firing the coordinator for the number one offense in the conference?
No joke. People that want Vigen fired are prisoners of the moment. Our offense was great most of the year. Holy crap
I won't go so far to say Vigen needs to fired. You have to give a lot of credit to Allen and Hill for the offensive numbers this year. That said, there were some suspect play calls, most notably Allen off tackle "twice" on key 3rd and 4th down. That was "weird" in this game. I also don't understand why we weren't doing more screens underneath passes with the amount of pressure SDSU was bringing. I think the play calling was suspect.

LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Poke-proud wrote:
LanderPoke wrote:
rich22 wrote:
fromolwyoming wrote:
rich22 wrote:

I won't go so far to say Vigen needs to fired. You have to give a lot of credit to Allen and Hill for the offensive numbers this year. That said, there were some suspect play calls, most notably Allen off tackle "twice" on key 3rd and 4th down. That was "weird" in this game. I also don't understand why we weren't doing more screens underneath passes with the amount of pressure SDSU was bringing. I think the play calling was suspect.

Those two calls were atrocious, yes. But he's grown into his position as OC and has done a great job this year, imo. Any talk of firing Vigen is laughable.
Poke-proud
Cowpoke

LanderPoke wrote:
Poke-proud wrote:
LanderPoke wrote:
rich22 wrote:
fromolwyoming wrote:
rich22 wrote:

Those two calls were atrocious, yes. But he's grown into his position as OC and has done a great job this year, imo. Any talk of firing Vigen is laughable.
Lander I'm not calling for Vigens head, however I would have expected adjustments, that weren't made. I think many would say that we've heard that same complaint all year.

LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Poke-proud wrote:
LanderPoke wrote:
Poke-proud wrote:
LanderPoke wrote:
rich22 wrote:
fromolwyoming wrote:
rich22 wrote:

Lander I'm not calling for Vigens head, however I would have expected adjustments, that weren't made. I think many would say that we've heard that same complaint all year.

I would agree that he is slow to adjust when things aren't working (which isn't very often).
Poke-proud
Cowpoke

LanderPoke wrote:
Poke-proud wrote:
LanderPoke wrote:
Poke-proud wrote:
LanderPoke wrote:
rich22 wrote:
fromolwyoming wrote:
rich22 wrote:

I would agree that he is slow to adjust when things aren't working (which isn't very often).
I would hope next year we'll see a lot less to complain about. Josh will have more experience, if Hills back I honestly believe we'll be playing for another conference championship. We'll definitely see a stronger defense.

pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

I loved seeing the pokes play on that stage and compete. We didn't win but we were competitive.

C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 141 times

Any "adjustments" that needed to be made still required the O line to stop the D line which wasn't happening

W-Y, Until I Die!
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Although it was fun to be there etc.....that cheatin low blow SDSU team has lost all my respect, thugs anyway. Here's to a wonderful year and on to next year!!!! GO POKES
Cosmic Cowboy
A Real Cowboy

Been super busy out here but I got to watch this game with my friend who went to SDSU. It's great to watch with someone who knows the other side so you can fill each other in our your squads. We both kinda view our teams has being sort of the unfinished product and the MWC being down. I really think Wyoming smokes SDSU if they hadn't lost 2 out of the 3 D starters but C'est la Vie as they say.

Letter grading the game for UW

The Offense- I posted that they needed 38+ to win (difficult in those elements for sure) and that would've been comfortable ass kicking. For a moment it looked like that was exactly what might happen. They really came out the looking great. The O line just couldn't dictate enough, they played well but they really had to have more. Couldn't get Hill going and Allen had a rough day with TO's. They were also hampered by play calling/some poop calls. Still had some electricity but not enough for a title on this frozen day. C+

The Defense- Given the personal I thought they played pretty damn good. Our D line couldn't get a push all day so it quickly became a 2nd level, 3rd level game. They filled the gaps pretty well at times using our speed with good play calling to get some stops. I loved that gang tackling/swarming of the ball which was exactly how they needed to play. They just slowly gave way and weren't aided by enough offensive momentum. For the heart on display though given the circumstances they did just about enough to win this thing while conceding too much. B-

Special Teams- I thought this was probably our highlight. That just barely enough FG to begin with was great and I really thought it'd be our day with things like that happening. They had the mojo going with coverage and were winning the field position battle. We had one missed FG and one big return on us. I mean overall I felt like the special teams did their job. B

Coaching- Well we seemed pretty ready to go to begin with. Defensive play calling was pretty solid and that wasn't an easy game to call defensively with our personnel issues. Our offensive play calling however easily cost us this game in the clutch. There is no way around that. To not let Allen throw at least once on that 3rd and 2 was a total fail, especially since we looked like we could toss it for a big play at any moment. Going out like that was painful to watch. I feel like I didn't love the O play calling for stretches that went on too long. We also lost the adjustment battle as SDSU came out smashing us in the mouth at halftime. C

Conclusion- Just not enough offensive fireworks to hold us in a game that needed them to find another level. Still a lot of magic and heart on display for Wyoming fans/players/coaches. Everyone should be proud of this season.

P.S. How come Wyoming is like the only team that can get kinda jobbed on officiating at home in a game like this?????? It's truly f-word maddening...........but hey we're UW fans we should be used to losing our minds at this point.
Riding High!!!
Poke-proud
Cowpoke

Cosmic Cowboy wrote:Been super busy out here but I got to watch this game with my friend who went to SDSU. It's great to watch with someone who knows the other side so you can fill each other in our your squads. We both kinda view our teams has being sort of the unfinished product and the MWC being down. I really think Wyoming smokes SDSU if they hadn't lost 2 out of the 3 D starters but C'est la Vie as they say.

Letter grading the game for UW

The Offense- I posted that they needed 38+ to win (difficult in those elements for sure) and that would've been comfortable ass kicking. For a moment it looked like that was exactly what might happen. They really came out the looking great. The O line just couldn't dictate enough, they played well but they really had to have more. Couldn't get Hill going and Allen had a rough day with TO's. They were also hampered by play calling/some poop calls. Still had some electricity but not enough for a title on this frozen day. C+

The Defense- Given the personal I thought they played pretty damn good. Our D line couldn't get a push all day so it quickly became a 2nd level, 3rd level game. They filled the gaps pretty well at times using our speed with good play calling to get some stops. I loved that gang tackling/swarming of the ball which was exactly how they needed to play. They just slowly gave way and weren't aided by enough offensive momentum. For the heart on display though given the circumstances they did just about enough to win this thing while conceding too much. B-

Special Teams- I thought this was probably our highlight. That just barely enough FG to begin with was great and I really thought it'd be our day with things like that happening. They had the mojo going with coverage and were winning the field position battle. We had one missed FG and one big return on us. I mean overall I felt like the special teams did their job. B

Coaching- Well we seemed pretty ready to go to begin with. Defensive play calling was pretty solid and that wasn't an easy game to call defensively with our personnel issues. Our offensive play calling however easily cost us this game in the clutch. There is no way around that. To not let Allen throw at least once on that 3rd and 2 was a total fail, especially since we looked like we could toss it for a big play at any moment. Going out like that was painful to watch. I feel like I didn't love the O play calling for stretches that went on too long. We also lost the adjustment battle as SDSU came out smashing us in the mouth at halftime. C

Conclusion- Just not enough offensive fireworks to hold us in a game that needed them to find another level. Still a lot of magic and heart on display for Wyoming fans/players/coaches. Everyone should be proud of this season.

P.S. How come Wyoming is like the only team that can get kinda jobbed on officiating at home in a game like this?????? It's truly f-word maddening...........but hey we're UW fans we should be used to losing our minds at this point.
Good assessment. I believe the defense too did what was required of them, and that was lacking some huge players in Granderson, May and Applebee. Some others stepped it up.

I think too much was required of Allen with the offensive, scheme or lack of. Other games he was able to bail Vigen out - not Saturday. I don't understand why more screens underneath passes weren't used - the pressure SD was bringing the underneath stuff was open.

We have a lot to be excited about next year.