MWC Championship Game- SDSU@WYO

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Cosmic Cowboy
A Real Cowboy

Man what a weird game. Both teams just looked like total poop and the MWC looks way down this year. All that aside Wyoming is the TOP team in the conference HOLY poop!!!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :orly: :orly: :orly: :orly: :orly:

That D is banged up so bad :nutkick: :nutkick: :nutkick: :grenade: Everyone on here knew that would be what hurt us the most when we lost D starters and especially in our thinnest areas (D line/LB's). Now they still gotta play this game. All year long they've had another level at the War. I think they'll find some stops again, somewhere, somehow, someway on Saturday. Not gonna be an EZ day for them.

The O needs to be LIGHTS f-word OUT. :deadhorse1: :deadhorse1: :deadhorse1: There is no other way around it. The guys need to get 38+ points in this game and look unstoppable. I hope our O line can lean on these SDSU boys all day long. SDSU has had 2 bad weeks delivered by the front range and now must return to an even colder Laramie. The WYO O needs to keep that cold Wyoming crowd alive and engaged in this game.

Can't forget about special teams either. We'll need them step it up. They got torched against SDSU on coverage so they'll have to prepare heavily. A big game for our punter and kicker as well. I think they'll be just fine. A big part of this battle will play out in special teams.
Riding High!!!
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Think about it. What part of the game is affected most when it is colder than hell? I think it is the passing game. This means one of the Pokes better weapons will be muted. And SDSU? They don't rely that much on the pass. And is SDSU going to learn a lesson from the NM running attack? Damn right. They don't have to run the triple option to add some diversion plays to fool the Pokes, who, thanks to Stanard, don't know how to defend it. I would say advantage SDSU in this one.
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

The difference is that you can practice and be mentally prepared for the cold when you are Deleon here. They can't train for it at sea level. Fumbles and bad snaps etc.

We came off a poor performance against unlv and played well the next week against this same team. I don't see a lot of surprises as personnel dictate a certain level of play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
GoPokes86
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 10 times

I think we're all expecting SDSU to throw in some new wrinkles on offense, but Rocky Long is the kind of coach that's gonna stick with what they've had success with all year long. The big thing that concerns me is Pumphrey catching passes out of the backfield. He ripped us for some pretty decent chunks of yards in Laramie and I see no reason they don't go after that quite a bit. I don't think we'll see a ton of read-option from them, but hopefully Stanard has them ready for it.

Last night's defensive strategy was absolutely infuriating, New Mexico would fake left and everyone on the D would sell it out to the left, and all the UNM backs had to do was make one cut and have 70 yards of green ahead of them. I have no idea what Stanard was seeing out there, or why they didn't adjust and play assignment defense.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

GoPokes86 wrote:I think we're all expecting SDSU to throw in some new wrinkles on offense, but Rocky Long is the kind of coach that's gonna stick with what they've had success with all year long. The big thing that concerns me is Pumphrey catching passes out of the backfield. He ripped us for some pretty decent chunks of yards in Laramie and I see no reason they don't go after that quite a bit. I don't think we'll see a ton of read-option from them, but hopefully Stanard has them ready for it.

Last night's defensive strategy was absolutely infuriating, New Mexico would fake left and everyone on the D would sell it out to the left, and all the UNM backs had to do was make one cut and have 70 yards of green ahead of them. I have no idea what Stanard was seeing out there, or why they didn't adjust and play assignment defense.
Totally agree. Rocky saw the tape of EMU and UNLV before he played Wyoming and he didn't put any read option in the gameplan, because Chapman can't run.

He'll line up and try to smash the ball down our throats. He's committed to his style of offense and will live or die with it.

It's going to be smash mouth vs smash mouth part two in Laramie on Saturday.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
WyomingAg
A Real Cowboy

Appears SDSU is favored by 7. Vegas must be putting a lot of weight on the game against UNM and the thought that "it is hard to be a team twice). Line seems high to me since we are at home, just beat them 2 weeks ago, and SDSU got beat worse than we did yesterday.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Wyoming is not great away from home. That's nothing new. SDSU looking spooked ever since the loss in Laramie? That is new. They looked lost vs. CSU, unsure of themselves. A quick start would bode well Saturday.
cowboyz
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

My confidence level is high, as long as we squib kick on kick offs. On an earlier post someone mentioned that the game was close because they had two run backs and a hail Mary. I hope we don't gift them 3 TDs again. The score didn't show it, but we kicked their asses pretty bad. These past two weeks they played two winning teams and Pumphrey became human and they lost both games. SDS will be practicing and living all week in mid-60 degree weather. This weekend they'll be playing in below freezing weather with a bit of wind and our stadium hasn't come down from 7220, which will wind their big boys.

We both got creamed Saturday, but they were home, we were away, they got worse as the game went along, we improved. Their confidence has to be shot. I think our harder schedule and tradition of getting our ass kicked and bouncing back will serve us well.

I see another Pokes win.
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

cowboyz wrote:My confidence level is high, as long as we squib kick on kick offs. On an earlier post someone mentioned that the game was close because they had two run backs and a hail Mary. I hope we don't gift them 3 TDs again. The score didn't show it, but we kicked their asses pretty bad. These past two weeks they played two winning teams and Pumphrey became human and they lost both games. SDS will be practicing and living all week in mid-60 degree weather. This weekend they'll be playing in below freezing weather with a bit of wind and our stadium hasn't come down from 7220, which will wind their big boys.

We both got creamed Saturday, but they were home, we were away, they got worse as the game went along, we improved. Their confidence has to be shot. I think our harder schedule and tradition of getting our ass kicked and bouncing back will serve us well.

I see another Pokes win.
My favorite part of your quote "I think our harder schedule and tradition of getting our ass kicked and bouncing back will serve us well"
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

WyomingAg wrote:Appears SDSU is favored by 7. Vegas must be putting a lot of weight on the game against UNM and the thought that "it is hard to be a team twice). Line seems high to me since we are at home, just beat them 2 weeks ago, and SDSU got beat worse than we did yesterday.
I'm more comfortable playing as the underdog. It seems like every one of our losses with the exception of Nebraska we were favored it. I think this team plays better with a chip on their shoulder.
Cosmic Cowboy
A Real Cowboy

I refuse to get pessimistic about this game. SDSU has long been the overhyped, overrated team with a ton of talent. I know that the Wyoming D is f-word battered, but someone on that D line is gonna have to step up on a few snaps. The cold should hurt SDSU even more then us. I trust our receivers hands in the cold. This is one of those games. A place where Josh Allen can make a big name for himself. For Hill to cement Pumphrey one more time. It'll be epic if the D can hold Pumphrey back and Hill goes nuts.

I'm excited and there's no reason not to be. f-word it all bets are off on a title game in Laramie. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Riding High!!!
Cosmic Cowboy
A Real Cowboy

cowboyz wrote:My confidence level is high, as long as we squib kick on kick offs. On an earlier post someone mentioned that the game was close because they had two run backs and a hail Mary. I hope we don't gift them 3 TDs again. The score didn't show it, but we kicked their asses pretty bad. These past two weeks they played two winning teams and Pumphrey became human and they lost both games. SDS will be practicing and living all week in mid-60 degree weather. This weekend they'll be playing in below freezing weather with a bit of wind and our stadium hasn't come down from 7220, which will wind their big boys.

I see another Pokes win.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: That is classic man but true. It even makes it easier as a fan heading into this game. A Wyoming football fan has nothing to lose they haven't already lost. I mean most our fans should've lost their mind somewhere along the way. We've had the poop kicked out of us everywhere sideways even in a great year ahahah :lol: :lol: :lol: . Here they are playing game 1 again as they say. Let's get back to it.
Riding High!!!
bigblue
Buckaroo

Cheering for your Pokes to beat the poop out SDSU. Seems how my Aggies took a big poop this year I'm on to cheering for the division in the championship game, then the conference in the bowl games. I think your boys will get this one.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

I find it impossible to believe SDSU won't implement some sort of triple option after seeing last week's film. They'd be insane not to. The Pokes were absolutely clueless against it. Having said that, if you had told me at the beginning of the season we would be playing for the conference championship, I would have told you not to wake me from this dream. So, go Pokes, beat SDSU one more time!
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Been liked: 2 times

SDPokeFan wrote:I find it impossible to believe SDSU won't implement some sort of triple option after seeing last week's film. They'd be insane not to. The Pokes were absolutely clueless against it. Having said that, if you had told me at the beginning of the season we would be playing for the conference championship, I would have told you not to wake me from this dream. So, go Pokes, beat SDSU one more time!
Their QB is not really a dual threat one. He's, at best, a game manager (something even SDSU fans will say without hesitation).
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 222 times

SDPokeFan wrote:I find it impossible to believe SDSU won't implement some sort of triple option after seeing last week's film. They'd be insane not to. The Pokes were absolutely clueless against it. Having said that, if you had told me at the beginning of the season we would be playing for the conference championship, I would have told you not to wake me from this dream. So, go Pokes, beat SDSU one more time!
So we don't suck anymore!? We don't have to play Illinois State in the FCS?

GO Pokes! ...and I doubt Rocky Long will get too creative
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

SDSU has historically had success in Laramie when the weather is really poop. This is just a weird game, rematch 2 weeks later after both teams got creamed. For some reason I don't see this as a back and forth type of game, I think whoever comes out fired up and punches the other in the mouth will get control of the game and not give it up. If you're down 2 touchdowns in that cold I don't care if you're Wyoming or SDSU I think your more liable to just kind of shut it down and think about going home.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

pokefanchaz7 wrote:

I see another Pokes win.
My favorite part of your quote "I think our harder schedule and tradition of getting our ass kicked and bouncing back will serve us well"
it's all well done, and yes Pokes play our kinda ball and we should be AOK!!!
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 3 times

I think SDSU will have a lot more screens and short passes for Pumphrey.

I agree with assessment above that if a team gets up by several scores, they other may quit. Versus NM, the Pokes looked tired, lost and overall clueless on D.

I hope they realize that the Bowl game is not the end goal...Saturday is.
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

2 years ago SDSU played in Boise in 9 degree weather and came out and went up 20-0 on Boise. This won't be the first time for a lot of them, so I wouldn't count on the weather being some kind of factor hugely in our favor. Boise came back to win that game but if the same thing happened to us on Saturday I don't think we would be able to overcome that.