Does Brian Hill stay or go???

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

As much as I don't blame him due to injury or such, I honestly think he could be ultimately be in a better round/position next year, but when $ talks you gotta listen, here's what Dino's post said, and lots of good points. Just hope if Brian does sign with an agent, I hope he's done his homework and does it for your best interest. Remember you are special at UW and will go down as the Best Running back to ever don the Brown and Gold, NFL riches can wait...yes I'm selfish but you and Josh will have one hell of a 2017. Nuff said for now, get a chance go to Pokes Radio and read the article on Brian Hill
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

Like you said... injuries or such:
"NFL riches can wait."

If Hill has a knee injury playing with Pokes next year, he will never play in the NFL.
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

I think smart move is to stay but I bet he goes. It's a deep class and outside of talents like Zeke (no offense to Hill) guys don't go as early anyway
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

Asmodeanreborn wrote:Like you said... injuries or such:
"NFL riches can wait."

If Hill has a knee injury playing with Pokes next year, he will never play in the NFL.
You should tell all the backs that tore acls in college and are in the NFL now. A injury doesn't mean he will never play again.

Hill is the type of back that would work his ass off and come back earlier and stronger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Wyo2dal wrote:A injury doesn't mean he will never play again.
Definitely agree with this, but it would make the path to the NFL more difficult
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

Wyo2dal wrote:
"NFL riches can wait."

You should tell all the backs that tore acls in college and are in the NFL now. A injury doesn't mean he will never play again.

Hill is the type of back that would work his ass off and come back earlier and stronger.

How many of them played for smaller schools, though? It's one thing if people talked about you as a first or second rounder before the injury happened. If you're looking at 5th round or later and you're from Wyoming rather than LSU or Texas, missing a year is likely a catastrophe.
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

Asmodeanreborn wrote:
Wyo2dal wrote:
"NFL riches can wait."

How many of them played for smaller schools, though? It's one thing if people talked about you as a first or second rounder before the injury happened. If you're looking at 5th round or later and you're from Wyoming rather than LSU or Texas, missing a year is likely a catastrophe.
Exactly. Just look at Keith Marshall or Marcus Lattimore, who were both at big schools (and Marshall was supposedly better than Gurley)
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

That played at a small school so they don't have near the opportunity mentality is old and wrong.

Great players can and do come from small schools and absolutely are successful in the NFL.

joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

wyokoke wrote:Exactly. Just look at Keith Marshall or Marcus Lattimore, who were both at big schools (and Marshall was supposedly better than Gurley)
Poor examples. Lattimore had a torn left ACL as a sophomore and a catastrophic right knee injury (dislocated kneecap, torn ligaments, nerve damage) as a junior, and was still picked in the 4th round. Marshall missed most of his sophomore and junior seasons with ACL injuries.

Hill has gone through three full seasons with no games missed due to injuries. One injury wouldn't destroy his career.

The question he should ask is if he can improve his draft stock by staying. You guys mention how small schools hinder a guy coming back from an injury, but I'd add that declaring early out of a small school also can be more difficult. You don't have the predraft circuit (Shrine Bowl, Senior Bowl, etc) to showcase your game. Look at Jay Ajayi, who left early and was only drafted in the 5th round despite having a similar career as Hill. Meanwhile, a guy like David Johnson came from an even smaller school to be drafted two rounds earlier than Ajayi in the same draft because teams got to know him and his talent on the predraft circuit.
dakarpoke
Buckaroo

I can't imagine Hill not declaring for the draft and he definitely should. He's had 3 great years and this is his best chance. NFL teams will know he's not a flash in the pan, he's very consistent.
wyopoke123
Buckaroo

hill is most likely gone. and no one can doubt/second guess him for one second for going. He has close to 900 touches on his legs already. That is ALOT for a college running back and a career span for an NFL running back is usually 2-4 years. The exception is to play longer than that.

I think we should enjoy these last two games with Hill with the expectation it may be his last two in a WYO uniform because youre getting the chance to enjoy the best RB in WYO history. He will do the Pokes proud in the NFL. The kid has a rare skill set, nfl ready body and a great attitude. Those all play at the next level, whether it be as a starter or contributor as change of pace back.

Now lets get this win on Saturday so Hill can celebrate a conference championship.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

He should probably go.(unless he hears different from the draft scouts) It isn't about where you get drafted for a RB. NFL teams don't draft RB very high any more unless you are like Zeke. it is about trying to land in a situation where you can prove your worth and get a second contract. As a RB you only get so many carries before your body breaks down and it probably wouldn't be wise to spend another year piling up those carries for free.
That being said I wouldn't complain if he came back.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

TSpoke wrote:He should probably go.(unless he hears different from the draft scouts) It isn't about where you get drafted for a RB. NFL teams don't draft RB very high any more unless you are like Zeke. it is about trying to land in a situation where you can prove your worth and get a second contract. As a RB you only get so many carries before your body breaks down and it probably wouldn't be wise to spend another year piling up those carries for free.
That being said I wouldn't complain if he came back.
albeit a different position I just don't want it to turn into a Brett Smith decision, that's all
Aaron
A Real Cowboy

Pretty sure I read he said Momma would kill him if he didnt finish school and what momma says goes
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 142 times

Aaron wrote:Pretty sure I read he said Momma would kill him if he didnt finish school and what momma says goes
I remember that but I'm sure that means he'll finish after his NFL career or during

W-Y, Until I Die!
303cowboy
Cowpoke
Been liked: 9 times

USA today mock draft has him going in the 6th round. As much as I'd like him to stay, you can't hold it against him if he declares early. Shelf life at RB is limited, and it almost seems to be a negative to NFL teams nowadays if RBs play all 4 years in college.

http://draftwire.usatoday.com/2016/12/0 ... ojections/
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Something I thought was interesting. I was listening to the latest ESPN First Draft podcast this week, and they said Todd McShay is in Laramie this week "to watch Josh Allen." Nothing mentioned about Brian Hill.
Cosmic Cowboy
A Real Cowboy

Well it would be awesome if he stays. The offense line is loaded up and it seems to just be getting deeper. They need a 2nd back to step up much like Wick's role if he stays too. Take some of the burden off Hill's legs. I'm not as scared about Hill getting injured as everyone else, he just looks like a man amongst boys some games at this level. I noticed this year that I like the college game more since its a little less violent (not as big/fast/hard hitting) and your in the MWC which isn't like having to face power 5 team after team. Those are some other reasons I'd love to see him run the UW record books even more.

That said I'm with everyone else on him going if he can get that paper. If you get that once in a lifetime crack you gotta take it. Whatever he does you know Poke's fans are behind him. Seems like he'd be leaving if they take the championship today. It's not like there's a lot more to accomplish at this level. Could the Pokes make a run at a HUGE bowl next year with Hill???? Maybe.......but that seems far fetched because our D would need big time growth/depth in just one year to achieve that imo.
Riding High!!!
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

One of the more well-known college football analysts in the country thinks University of Wyoming junior running back Brian Hill has a good chance to be a late-round NFL draft pick.

But ESPN’s Todd McShay, who is part of the broadcast team for today’s Mountain West championship game between UW and San Diego State, also thinks Hill would be better served to return to UW for his senior season in 2017.

“Coming back and finishing here is the way to go for him,” McShay said Friday. “Even though he’s had the production here, continuing that production, further developing his patience as a runner and working on becoming that complete back would benefit him.”

“As a runner, I don’t think he has exceptional speed, but he’s light on his feet,” McShay said. “He has good vision. Occasionally, he’ll dance a little bit, but he’s a guy that can create yards on his own — and that’s what you want.

“Catching the ball is probably something teams will want to see more of moving forward. I know (UW) purposely keeps him in for blocking, and he’s good in that regard.”

“This is not a good year if you are kind of on the fence to make that jump,” McShay said. “In my opinion, to stay here to develop would make a lot of sense for Hill.”

http://www.wyosports.net/university_of_ ... 390a4.html
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

joshvanklomp wrote:Something I thought was interesting. I was listening to the latest ESPN First Draft podcast this week, and they said Todd McShay is in Laramie this week "to watch Josh Allen." Nothing mentioned about Brian Hill.
J. Allen will be a first or second round pick. Heard it here first!