Good luck in San Diego

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
CowleyCougFan
Buckaroo

Hello Wyo Nation.

Cougar fan here, but have some roots in Wyoming as my wife is from Cowley (Northern Wyoming).

I'm actually excited to play you guys in the bowl game. Should be a competitive game. I've seen you play a few times this year (I usually pull for you guys except against BYU or USU) and I really like your running back. Wyoming always seems physical.

Independence has been good for us overall, but I have to admit that I miss some of the old rivalries from the MWC. As you know, BYU was getting killed on exposure in the MWC and so we had to do something.

BTW, most BYU fans I talk to don't think BYU is "too good" for the MWC, but the TV deal sucked so bad and with the games on the MTN many fans could simple never see a game. Your fan base is probably mostly in the inter-mountain west so to them it was simply a matter of ponying up for the correct cable package. With so many BYU fans world wide because of the church affiliation, most couldn't watch a game at any price.

Anyway, I wish we would schedule a game or two down the road. We were never your main rival nor you ours, but it was certainly a rival. I for one miss it.

Good luck in San Diego.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Not sure I agree with everything you said, but it still doesn't explain or justify trying to kill the MWC on your departure.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

CowleyCougFan wrote:Hello Wyo Nation.

Cougar fan here, but have some roots in Wyoming as my wife is from Cowley (Northern Wyoming).

I'm actually excited to play you guys in the bowl game. Should be a competitive game. I've seen you play a few times this year (I usually pull for you guys except against BYU or USU) and I really like your running back. Wyoming always seems physical.

Independence has been good for us overall, but I have to admit that I miss some of the old rivalries from the MWC. As you know, BYU was getting killed on exposure in the MWC and so we had to do something.

BTW, most BYU fans I talk to don't think BYU is "too good" for the MWC, but the TV deal sucked so bad and with the games on the MTN many fans could simple never see a game. Your fan base is probably mostly in the inter-mountain west so to them it was simply a matter of ponying up for the correct cable package. With so many BYU fans world wide because of the church affiliation, most couldn't watch a game at any price.

Anyway, I wish we would schedule a game or two down the road. We were never your main rival nor you ours, but it was certainly a rival. I for one miss it.

Good luck in San Diego.
Cowley's spiritual heart is in Utah. Lovell poop on Cowley
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

LanderPoke wrote:

Good luck in San Diego.
Cowley's spiritual heart is in Utah. Lovell poop on Cowley
He comes in peace. Lots of good folks from Cowley. I may have even have gone to school with them.

I don't miss playing byu on a yearly basis. I would never want a deal like Utah state where it isn't a home and home.

I think it's likely that aside from bowl games where byu has mwc ties that Wyo and byu are done playing and I'm completely ok with that as it just makes for a bad week at church and with family.

Byu left because they felt they deserved more and so I hope they enjoy more playing meaningless games every November and having nothing to play for after a loss the first month of the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 230 times

Good luck in San Diego.
Wyoming fan here with roots in Wyoming. I hope BYU continues to fade to irrelevance after Wyoming stomps them in San Diego! I hope that we never consider scheduling the BYU traitors again. I wish nothing but 0-12 seasons for BYU. I don't miss anything about playing BYU. I have permanently blocked the byu tv channel in my household. With so many Wyoming fans in Wyoming and around the world, byWHO??
CowleyCougFan
Buckaroo

Well, I don't remember BYU trying to kill the MWC. I remember BYU trying to make a deal with the WAC for all non-football sports (after the MWC said no way to BYU for a non-football membership) and the MWC in turn killed the WAC.
CowleyCougFan
Buckaroo

So do you consider TCU and Utah traitors as well?

Seems a bit harsh for someone who is trying to improve their situation, no?
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

CowleyCougFan wrote:Well, I don't remember BYU trying to kill the MWC. I remember BYU trying to make a deal with the WAC for all non-football sports (after the MWC said no way to BYU for a non-football membership) and the MWC in turn killed the WAC.
IIRC BYU wanted assurances that a few WAC schools would not join the MWC and BYU would move all their non-football sports over to the WAC. Boise, Fresno and Nevada said screw you, BYU, and came anyway. So yeah, BYU secretly wanted to sabotage the MWC as it took its ball and went home.
Last edited by LanderPoke on Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

CowleyCougFan wrote:So do you consider TCU and Utah traitors as well?

No. They didn't try to screw the MWC when they left. Same for Utah
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

CowleyCougFan wrote:So do you consider TCU and Utah traitors as well?

Unlike BYU, they didn't actively try to kill MWC behind everybody's backs. That's a pretty major part of why several MWC ADs have said they want nothing to do with BYU again, while they have much better relationships with Utah and TCU.

Boise State and SDSU were also close to leaving MWC more recently, but they don't carry that kind of baggage either. Boise, especially, since they're a major reason MWC actually survived.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote:
CowleyCougFan wrote:Well, I don't remember BYU trying to kill the MWC. I remember BYU trying to make a deal with the WAC for all non-football sports (after the MWC said no way to BYU for a non-football membership) and the MWC in turn killed the WAC.
IIRC BYU wanted assurances that a few WAC schools would not join the MWC and BYU would move all their non-football sports over to the WAC. Boise, Fresno and Nevada said screw you, BYU, and came anyway. So yeah, BYU secretly wanted to sabotage the MWC as it took its ball and went home.
Part of plan was to lure MWC teams to the WAC too. (San Diego State, UNLV, etc..) Luckily, the hypocritical backstabbing plan of byu was exposed and the MWC was proactive.

I'm sure most (if not all) byu fans have the same selective memory.
CowleyCougFan
Buckaroo

So how is wanting to keep the WAC a viable conference an attempt to kill the MWC?

Really, I think too much is being made of the fact that BYU simply wanted to make a deal with a conference that would still have several decent schools and framing it to mean that they tried to kill the MWC.

And as I recall , Boise was already in the MWC at the time, right?

My memory is that BYU simply wanted to make sure that there was still going to be a WAC before they joined it.
CowleyCougFan
Buckaroo

Well, either way (no one on this board knows all the facts, that's for sure) I'm still excited to play Wyoming.

You're right about meaningless November games. But other than that you've got to love BYU's exposure as an independent.

Obviously, BYU would love to be in a conference, but outside the "Power Conferences", the money and exposure would be a step backward.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

CowleyCougFan wrote:So how is wanting to keep the WAC a viable conference an attempt to kill the MWC?
Really, I think too much is being made of the fact that BYU simply wanted to make a deal with a conference that would still have several decent schools and framing it to mean that they tried to kill the MWC.
Because they knew that preventing Nevada and Fresno leaving for MWC with introducing a $5 Million exit fee would kill the conference. Both those teams had already expressed an interest in MWC as well.

CowleyCougFan wrote: And as I recall , Boise was already in the MWC at the time, right?

My memory is that BYU simply wanted to make sure that there was still going to be a WAC before they joined it.
Yeah, Boise was in it. I mixed up Boise and Nevada somehow.

It was the backdoor maneuvering that made everybody so damn angry about it, and Nevada and Fresno State speaking up about it as they refused to be part is what put the nail in the coffin for WAC.
HR_Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

Asmodeanreborn wrote:
CowleyCougFan wrote:So how is wanting to keep the WAC a viable conference an attempt to kill the MWC?
Because they knew that preventing Nevada and Fresno leaving for MWC with introducing a $5 Million exit fee would kill the conference. Both those teams had already expressed an interest in MWC as well.

CowleyCougFan wrote: And as I recall , Boise was already in the MWC at the time, right?

Yeah, Boise was in it. I mixed up Boise and Nevada somehow.

It was the backdoor maneuvering that made everybody so damn angry about it, and Nevada and Fresno State speaking up about it as they refused to be part is what put the nail in the coffin for WAC.
they also actively recruited SDSU and UNLV to leave the MWC for the WAC with them. They did their best to try and kill the conference purely to put their b-ball program into a good conference.
CowleyCougFan
Buckaroo

But Benson indicated at the time that he already had conversations with SDSU and UNLV about coming back to the WAC to be with Fresno and Nevada.

BYU liked that idea and wanted to join if it would have been a stable situation.

Are you suggesting that it was BYU who initiated the talks with SDSU and UNLV about coming back to the WAC? That's not what I understood.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

CowleyCougFan wrote:But Benson indicated at the time that he already had conversations with SDSU and UNLV about coming back to the WAC to be with Fresno and Nevada.

BYU liked that idea and wanted to join if it would have been a stable situation.

Are you suggesting that it was BYU who initiated the talks with SDSU and UNLV about coming back to the WAC? That's not what I understood.
Just stop. It's no surprise that the 'holier than thou' byu fanbase tries to justify their backstabbing actions. BYU was out solely for its own benefit even if that meant completely screwing over teams that it had been in a conference with since 1922.

...but you know what, it has been great not being in the same conference with byu and dealing with all their extra baggage and hypocrisy. So both teams are happy and it worked out best.
CowleyCougFan
Buckaroo

Honest question, how are my posts "holier than thou"?

Do you have evidence that BYU initiated the so called attempt to destroy the MWC?

I remember in the press conference when Thompson announced that Nevada and Fresno were coming to the MWC. He was asked by a reporter about BYU. He said "BYU is still in the MWC." How is this not dishonest to Nevada and Fresno? Is that what he told them too?

It appears that there was a lot of posturing going on, for sure, but not sure how this equates to BYU "screwing over teams".

And BTW, if the MWC teams had simply voted to allow BYU to re-broadcast their games (as was verbally promised in the beginning) AFTER the conference network aired them, or when they weren't being broadcast at all, then BYU would probably never have left in the first place.

Kinda feels like BYU was the one that was hung out to dry by the MWC teams.
Poke-proud
Cowpoke

CowleyCougFan wrote:Honest question, how are my posts "holier than thou"?

Do you have evidence that BYU initiated the so called attempt to destroy the MWC?

I remember in the press conference when Thompson announced that Nevada and Fresno were coming to the MWC. He was asked by a reporter about BYU. He said "BYU is still in the MWC." How is this not dishonest to Nevada and Fresno? Is that what he told them too?

It appears that there was a lot of posturing going on, for sure, but not sure how this equates to BYU "screwing over teams".

And BTW, if the MWC teams had simply voted to allow BYU to re-broadcast their games (as was verbally promised in the beginning) AFTER the conference network aired them, or when they weren't being broadcast at all, then BYU would probably never have left in the first place.

Kinda feels like BYU was the one that was hung out to dry by the MWC teams.
For your reading pleasure Cowlycoug
http://www.tornbysports.com/byu-mwc-rev ... t-history/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CowleyCougFan
Buckaroo

Well, a piece written by a Ute fan, hmm.. no axe there to grind. It's a wonderful piece of journalism, isn't it? You can tell he really researched both sides of the story - NOT.

He says "they approached SDSU and UNLV about leaving the MWC" , but cites no source. He's the one saying if it isn't written on a piece of paper it isn't real.

Do you have a legitimate source for these accusations? Honestly, I never read anywhere (that was trustworthy) that BYU instigated the undermining of the MWC.

Look, I can see why you guys wouldn't like BYU. BYU's leaving weakened the MWC. That's a fact. You can deny that if you want, but it is pretty clear to any honest elevator of the situation. And that we were rivals with BYU holding the upper hand for the most part in the later years (after decades of Wyoming dominance) only adds to the resentment.

And yes, I'm sure that many BYU fans come across as arrogant and self-righteous (although, we're not all that way - anymore than you are all urine bomb throwers)

But basing extreme disdain and hatred over unsubstantiated accusations of BYU trying to destroy the MWC when there is no documented proof of that seems over the top.

I think that most who have really followed BYU over the years would agree that while not perfect, BYU's methods aren't typically self-serving to the point where the other party comes out a complete loser.

Besides, life's too short to have such hate in our hearts.

It's good that you want to beat the crap out of BYU. But the hate, I just don't see the justification for it , especially based on hearsay.