Poinsettia Bowl - Black 14

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

I agree most white people (obviously) have no idea how rough it can be for a black kid to grow up in the U.S., or in other places where they're a minority.

Hell, I remember being shocked just about the crap people said about Native Americans in Riverton when I lived there, including when they were around!

But please, no protesting stuff. I want the team to focus on football and actually win by as large of a margin as possible. That's the best protest against BYU.
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

LanderPoke wrote:No black arm bands, geez. Let it all r.i.p.
I'm not saying its a good idea or a bad idea. Yesterday was the 75th anniversary of Pearl Harbor. We certainly don't let that rest.

If this were executed properly, it could help ease tensions, show respect, demonstrate that we know how stupid stuff was, honor how much better we have become, have some constructive talks and discussions on the matter, and of course, play some football.
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

GOWYO wrote:I grew up a white man in Riverton, WY and have no idea what it would be like to be a black man in America today or then. Racism remains our largest social problem in this country, but Wyoming is not much like the rest of the country, so it's easy for many of us to dismiss. Then and now, here in this white, unpopulated place, I am mystified by deeply racist things said by people who may have never even met an African-American. IF a black 14 armband is promoted in the right way, it could bring credit to our school and state and shows that our student athletes care about their history, at least. I'm willing to listen and certainly never willing to dismiss the protests of people whom MANY of my fellow Wyomingites still harbor generations-old ignorant hatred for.
Same here. Spent most of my first 20 years in very rural fremont county. Its a complicated situation. It would be at least nice to try to right the damn wrong Eaton put upon those players. Doesn't have to be fancy. Just enough to say - UW / State of Wyo was wrong. We believe in equality.

Thats all.
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

Wyovanian wrote:
WyoBrandX wrote:It has been quite some time since we have played those jackasses from Provostan. Maybe Brown and Gold should print up some armbands supporting the Black 14 and trying to support the problems they were demonstrating. It would be nice to try to right that ship from the 1960's. I get what Eaton was doing, but we are all humans, and the most important thing is showing support for each other. Different times - but we still have many of the same problems today.

Hell, maybe the players could do it, or the AD would support it. It would be a nice showing by the state that we believe in equality amongst everyone.

Right the wrong and embrace the future!

First and foremost, we are the Equality State. Then we are fans and football players. Everyone should feel welcome here (except BYU).

Lets demonstrate that our University was wrong in 1969. Lets show that we completely support equality among everyone today.

What do you think?
Bad idea. No reason to turn an entire team into Kaepernitwit...
I'm not trying to make a big huff out of this. What the black 14 wanted to do in 1969 should have been allowed. This game might not be the game to do it. But some team, somewhere, belonging to UW, should at least wear those armbands in pride and move on.

Freedom of speech is important in this country. Honoring those that we screwed over is important too...they had a valid point and that needs to be taken care of.
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

ragtimejoe1 wrote:For me, inclusion of polutics in game days ruins sports. I can cheer for a team in an athletic event but might disagree with a polutical position or method of demonstration.

Linking the two makes it hard to be a fan unless you are a fan of the team AND agree with the polutical demonstration.
I see your point. I don't think politics are involved though. This country has written into its constitution that all people are created equally. We have freedom of speech. And much more of course.

We see all sorts of things in sports today, like armbands for cancer, armbands for domestic abuse, etc.

I'd just like to see the Black 14 get their bands after all. I can't think of a more sweet game to do that than against BYU.

Those guys gave up their education by wanting to protest in a non-violent manner, playing a team that not only hated them, but thought that they could never be a part of their higher ends of their church community because of their skin color.

Those guys weren't trying to run around saying crazy things to the media, grabbing attention, starting things on fire, etc. They just wanted an armband that said - BYU - f-word you!

Wyoming is weird when it comes to isolating people and acting equally. If Wyoming was a country, it would be a great one (outside of the bust/boom finances).

Everyones voice should be heard. And we let these voices fall behind along time ago. Its time to recognize them. Its the right thing to do. Wyoming held the voice down 47 years ago.
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

McPeachy wrote:
Wyovanian wrote:
WyoBrandX wrote:It has been quite some time since we have played those jackasses from Provostan. Maybe Brown and Gold should print up some armbands supporting the Black 14 and trying to support the problems they were demonstrating. It would be nice to try to right that ship from the 1960's. I get what Eaton was doing, but we are all humans, and the most important thing is showing support for each other. Different times - but we still have many of the same problems today.

Hell, maybe the players could do it, or the AD would support it. It would be a nice showing by the state that we believe in equality amongst everyone.

First and foremost, we are the Equality State. Then we are fans and football players. Everyone should feel welcome here (except BYU).

Lets demonstrate that our University was wrong in 1969. Lets show that we completely support equality among everyone today.

What do you think?
^^ THIS ^^

f-word bWHYu and everything related, no doubt, but let's leave politics, to, well, who cares.
McPeachy - I almost always agree with you and I like your posts, but this really doesn't have much to do with politics. Its about righting a wrong. Making all people feel welcome.Treating all people equally. Bringing this forward an era. And of course, f-word BYU!
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 144 times

WyoBrandX wrote:
McPeachy wrote:
Wyovanian wrote:

What do you think?
^^ THIS ^^

f-word bWHYu and everything related, no doubt, but let's leave politics, to, well, who cares.
McPeachy - I almost always agree with you and I like your posts, but this really doesn't have much to do with politics. Its about righting a wrong. Making all people feel welcome.Treating all people equally. Bringing this forward an era. And of course, f-word BYU!
This wrong has been righted for the last 40+ years. This isn't even an issue. Maybe if there was something currently to protest against BYU, then I could see an homage to the 14

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
W-Y, Until I Die!
Poke-proud
Cowpoke

WyoBrandX wrote:
LanderPoke wrote:No black arm bands, geez. Let it all r.i.p.
I'm not saying its a good idea or a bad idea. Yesterday was the 75th anniversary of Pearl Harbor. We certainly don't let that rest.

If this were executed properly, it could help ease tensions, show respect, demonstrate that we know how stupid stuff was, honor how much better we have become, have some constructive talks and discussions on the matter, and of course, play some football.
I don't think this and Pearl Harbor are comparisons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 119 times

WyoBrandX wrote:
McPeachy wrote:
Wyovanian wrote:

What do you think?
^^ THIS ^^

While I agree on the surface it doesn't have much to do with politics, I think that (given our current state of affairs in this country) it will turn political and nasty in a very rapid manner. Partly because a lot of folks don't understand what transpired, and why it transpired the way that it did.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

I'm definitely wearing my "I hate BYU glasses" + "Brown and Gold glasses" + "Wyoming needs to re-establish itself as a leader in many areas" glasses when posting this.

The most important thing is we go beat the hell out of these guys in San Diego. Thats all.