Poinsettia Bowl - Black 14

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

It has been quite some time since we have played those jackasses from Provostan. Maybe Brown and Gold should print up some armbands supporting the Black 14 and trying to support the problems they were demonstrating. It would be nice to try to right that ship from the 1960's. I get what Eaton was doing, but we are all humans, and the most important thing is showing support for each other. Different times - but we still have many of the same problems today.

Hell, maybe the players could do it, or the AD would support it. It would be a nice showing by the state that we believe in equality amongst everyone.

Right the wrong and embrace the future!

First and foremost, we are the Equality State. Then we are fans and football players. Everyone should feel welcome here (except BYU).

Lets demonstrate that our University was wrong in 1969. Lets show that we completely support equality among everyone today.

What do you think?
Rockchaw
Buckaroo

I do not think it is a good idea. The only thing the football team or any team should be promoting is the University of Wyoming. What ever cause the players would like to do on their own time is fine.
SnowyRange
Ranch Hand

Oh, I like it...but then again, I like free speech and chaos.

But, as with many of the things I like, it's a terrible idea.

Leaving aside who would take charge and organize such a thing, it would be twisted into a huge distraction, and there would be no coherent narrative. The story would spiral out of anyone's control, and others would use it to pursue whatever agenda suited them.

Therefore, it would end up being terribly polarizing: player v. player, players v. coach, athletics v. administration, fan v. fan, legislators v. UW, Catholics v. Convicts, Superman v. Batman, brown trout v. rainbow trout...you name it.
jbeiermann
Ranch Hand

Was a good book to read by Ryan Thorburn (Black 14). He also wrote LOST COWBOYS (baseball) and Jump Shot (Sailors), all 3 really good reads if have NOT read them!!
GO POKES!!
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

I say leave politics out of sports. Remember eastern Michigan and how the protests became more of a focal point than the game?

Also what would it be protesting now? There has been equality among people of all color within the priesthood since the late 70s.

It would divide the locker room and become a distraction from a great football game.

Really hope this doesn't get legs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
Poke-proud
Cowpoke

pokefanchaz7 wrote:I say leave politics out of sports. Remember eastern Michigan and how the protests became more of a focal point than the game?

Also what would it be protesting now? There has been equality among people of all color within the priesthood since the late 70s.

It would divide the locker room and become a distraction from a great football game.

Really hope this doesn't get legs.

I'm with you. we'd end up with this turning into a black lives matter demonstration. The game would become secondary to the demonstrations.

GOWYO
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

I grew up a white man in Riverton, WY and have no idea what it would be like to be a black man in America today or then. Racism remains our largest social problem in this country, but Wyoming is not much like the rest of the country, so it's easy for many of us to dismiss. Then and now, here in this white, unpopulated place, I am mystified by deeply racist things said by people who may have never even met an African-American. IF a black 14 armband is promoted in the right way, it could bring credit to our school and state and shows that our student athletes care about their history, at least. I'm willing to listen and certainly never willing to dismiss the protests of people whom MANY of my fellow Wyomingites still harbor generations-old ignorant hatred for.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

No black arm bands, geez. Let it all r.i.p.
jcase16
Buckaroo

I'm from New Jersey and Indiana. I live in Utah now and am married to a woman from Wyoming. Her family loves UW. So know that I do not believe this. But I remember hearing how racist Wyoming is. My experience is that Wyoming isn't any more racist than any other state that is heavily dominated by white people. Honestly, neither is Utah. I feel like I heard MUCH more racist comments from people in Indiana and Jersey but maybe that's because I spent more time there. I think people hear that very few minorities live in Wyoming and just assume you must be racist cowboys... Which is by definition bigotry right? Gotta love bigoted comments from people crying about bigotry lol. oh and go BYU. Hope the game is awesome no matter who wins.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

jcase16 wrote:I'm from New Jersey and Indiana. I live in Utah now and am married to a woman from Wyoming. Her family loves UW. So know that I do not believe this. But I remember hearing how racist Wyoming is. My experience is that Wyoming isn't any more racist than any other state that is heavily dominated by white people. Honestly, neither is Utah. I feel like I heard MUCH more racist comments from people in Indiana and Jersey but maybe that's because I spent more time there. I think people hear that very few minorities live in Wyoming and just assume you must be racist cowboys... Which is by definition bigotry right? Gotta love bigoted comments from people crying about bigotry lol. oh and go BYU. Hope the game is awesome no matter who wins.
Was born and raised here and have been around the world multiple times with the military. Its unfortunate, but Wyoming has it's own group of morons just like everywhere else. That being said, I spent a year just outside Atlanta at flight school. I have never experienced racism in my lifetime like that. White on black, black on white it didnt matter. It was insane
Poke-proud
Cowpoke

jcase16 wrote:I'm from New Jersey and Indiana. I live in Utah now and am married to a woman from Wyoming. Her family loves UW. So know that I do not believe this. But I remember hearing how racist Wyoming is. My experience is that Wyoming isn't any more racist than any other state that is heavily dominated by white people. Honestly, neither is Utah. I feel like I heard MUCH more racist comments from people in Indiana and Jersey but maybe that's because I spent more time there. I think people hear that very few minorities live in Wyoming and just assume you must be racist cowboys... Which is by definition bigotry right? Gotta love bigoted comments from people crying about bigotry lol. oh and go BYU. Hope the game is awesome no matter who wins.
Hence the problem. Reference to racism as being because Wyoming is largely a white state, suggesting racism can only be from whites. BS!!! I think the racism today is largely coming from the black community. Try being a white person and walking through a largely black community in Chicago, St Louis or LA and see if racism occurs. Additionally what is black lives matter if not a racist group. Remember the super bowl halftime show? Does it happen from whites sure. Any more than from blacks - probably not. Frankly I'm tired of this whole topic and believe Obama has done nothing but make this issue far worse than when he assumed the role as "golfer in chief".

Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

WyoBrandX wrote:It has been quite some time since we have played those jackasses from Provostan. Maybe Brown and Gold should print up some armbands supporting the Black 14 and trying to support the problems they were demonstrating. It would be nice to try to right that ship from the 1960's. I get what Eaton was doing, but we are all humans, and the most important thing is showing support for each other. Different times - but we still have many of the same problems today.

Hell, maybe the players could do it, or the AD would support it. It would be a nice showing by the state that we believe in equality amongst everyone.

First and foremost, we are the Equality State. Then we are fans and football players. Everyone should feel welcome here (except BYU).

Lets demonstrate that our University was wrong in 1969. Lets show that we completely support equality among everyone today.

What do you think?
Bad idea. No reason to turn an entire team into Kaepernitwit...
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Poke-proud wrote:
Hence the problem. Reference to racism as being because Wyoming is largely a white state, suggesting racism can only be from whites. BS!!! I think the racism today is largely coming from the black community. Try being a white person and walking through a largely black community in Chicago, St Louis or LA and see if racism occurs. Additionally what is black lives matter if not a racist group. Remember the super bowl halftime show? Does it happen from whites sure. Any more than from blacks - probably not. Frankly I'm tired of this whole topic and believe Obama has done nothing but make this issue far worse than when he assumed the role as "golfer in chief".

Or Atlanta.... I was asked by a manager at a walmart to leave. Actually, I was told it was in my best interest to leave my cart where it was at and to quickly vacate the premises..... Yikes
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

Wyoming is one of the most tolerant places in the country. I honestly believe that. You do your own thing, I do my own thing, be nice to each other, go home - this has been my experience my whole life.
GOWYO
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Which I admit to participating in. But really the original question concerns whether members of the Wyoming Football team should memorialize (modernize?) a 45 year-old protest that, like it or not, destroyed our football program. It didn't have to, but it did. I agree that Wyoming is no more racist than anywhere else. But that wasn't the original question. The question is should players on this team, in this era of "Black Lives Matter", renew a protest against a religion that was at its foundation inherently racist and still struggles with that legacy. That's the question. I don't know if it's really the right fit for the times, but I also don't think it's really for me, or any other white guy from Wyoming, to say.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

For me, inclusion of polutics in game days ruins sports. I can cheer for a team in an athletic event but might disagree with a polutical position or method of demonstration.

Linking the two makes it hard to be a fan unless you are a fan of the team AND agree with the polutical demonstration.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 304 times
Been liked: 119 times

Wyovanian wrote:
WyoBrandX wrote:It has been quite some time since we have played those jackasses from Provostan. Maybe Brown and Gold should print up some armbands supporting the Black 14 and trying to support the problems they were demonstrating. It would be nice to try to right that ship from the 1960's. I get what Eaton was doing, but we are all humans, and the most important thing is showing support for each other. Different times - but we still have many of the same problems today.

What do you think?
Bad idea. No reason to turn an entire team into Kaepernitwit...
^^ THIS ^^

f-word bWHYu and everything related, no doubt, but let's leave politics, to, well, who cares.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Joe from WY
Buckaroo

How about we just go out and kick their asses instead?
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 142 times

Whoever even brought this up needs to be tarred and feathered

W-Y, Until I Die!
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

NO.