the more i think about a rerun with BYU

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

the more it reminds me of how happy I am without them in my life. at first, when the announcement came that we were playing them... I felt like this

now, the date is set, no getting out of this one... this clip sums up my feelings

carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

double post, whoops. you can delete on of these mods... my bad
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

carbonpoke wrote:double post, whoops. you can delete on of these mods... my bad
Just got rid of your doubled post, carbon. :D

Loved those clips. Loved Christmas Vacation. Instant classic in my book.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
Danmully
Ranch Hand

i hate mormons
Danmully
Ranch Hand

just as much as they hate blacks and gays. f-word u byu
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

Honestly man don't come in here being a bigot. It may be a surprise to you but a large portion of our fan base also identifies as Latter Day Saint and your comments while directed toward BYU also are an attack on us.

Not all Mormons hate Gay People any more then all university of Wyoming students support what happened to Mathew Shepard. It's never ok to hate an entire group of people based on your narrow minded perception of what they are and what they represent. Also mormons do not hate black people at any higher rate then any other group of people.

Hate BYU for being arrogant and full of themselves Hate BYU for being the evil empire with money and resources that we wish we had. Hate BYU for being the team that tried to stab us in the back at their convenience when they tried to destroy the conference in order to get even richer. Hate BYU for having no loyalty to teams they were business partners with for near 100 years But don't come into a sports forum and make this about something that it isn't. This is a football game and as such I would appreciate it if we keep this to football.

We have recruits who have committed to the University of Wyoming who are currently serving missions for this faith group and other recruits who are committed to the University of Wyoming who identify as Latter Day Saint. We also have many fans across this state who are die hard Wyoming fans that we can't really afford to watch leave due to anti-mormon sentiment.

We are Wyoming and that means that we are all different but the one thing that unites us is the love of our state, the love of our University and ultimately on this forum our love of the Wyoming Cowboys.
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
phxpoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 14 times

pokefanchaz7 wrote:Honestly man don't come in here being a bigot. It may be a surprise to you but a large portion of our fan base also identifies as Latter Day Saint and your comments while directed toward BYU also are an attack on us.

Not all Mormons hate Gay People any more then all university of Wyoming students support what happened to Mathew Shepard. It's never ok to hate an entire group of people based on your narrow minded perception of what they are and what they represent. Also mormons do not hate black people at any higher rate then any other group of people.

Hate BYU for being arrogant and full of themselves Hate BYU for being the evil empire with money and resources that we wish we had. Hate BYU for being the team that tried to stab us in the back at their convenience when they tried to destroy the conference in order to get even richer. Hate BYU for having no loyalty to teams they were business partners with for near 100 years But don't come into a sports forum and make this about something that it isn't. This is a football game and as such I would appreciate it if we keep this to football.

We have recruits who have committed to the University of Wyoming who are currently serving missions for this faith group and other recruits who are committed to the University of Wyoming who identify as Latter Day Saint. We also have many fans across this state who are die hard Wyoming fans that we can't really afford to watch leave due to anti-mormon sentiment.

We are Wyoming and that means that we are all different but the one thing that unites us is the love of our state, the love of our University and ultimately on this forum our love of the Wyoming Cowboys.
Well said. True Wyoming fans have no room for that type of close minded hate!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

2 things I'll guarantee:

1) the MWC is a far better place without byu.
2) byu would not improve the financial status of MWC teams if the MWC allowed them back in.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

I don't know if this is true as much as we would like to convince ourselves of such. BYU has a very large and non localized fan base. As such it has a demographic that is unique and worth money to tv interests. Now how much of a difference they would make and add to the pot who knows, but I do think they would be a valuable commodity if they wanted to return to the conference one day. I think that bridge may be burned with many of the AD's within the conference but BYU as a brand does carry weight.
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

If all of that is true, you would think the ratings of their games would be significantly better than other g5 teams. Inconveniently, they aren't. byu is slowly slipping to irrelevance and the next round of TV negotiations will reflect that.

byu would do virtually nothing for the MWC and nothing for P5 conferences which is why they are where they are.

They would no more elevate the MWC than they elevated the big west or whatever ball conference they are in.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

ragtimejoe1 wrote:If all of that is true, you would think the ratings of their games would be significantly better than other g5 teams. Inconveniently, they aren't. byu is slowly slipping to irrelevance and the next round of TV negotiations will reflect that.

byu would do virtually nothing for the MWC and nothing for P5 conferences which is why they are where they are.

They would no more elevate the MWC than they elevated the big west or whatever ball conference they are in.
It's the West Coast Conference.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
whyoh
WyoNation Addict

Wyokie wrote:
ragtimejoe1 wrote:If all of that is true, you would think the ratings of their games would be significantly better than other g5 teams. Inconveniently, they aren't. byu is slowly slipping to irrelevance and the next round of TV negotiations will reflect that.

It's the West Coast Conference.
Pretty sure he was using apathy to emphasize his point
disclaimer: I could be wrong. I've done it before...I'll probably do it again.

a high fallootin'...rootin' tootin' sonofa gun from 'ol WYOMIN'
AggieAndee
Buckaroo

BYU has found itself the reject of college sports. BYU went around saying it was the Notre Dame of the West for years and treated everyone badly and didn't know how to be nice. If anyone raised any complaints or said anything BYU didn't like, BYU would just say to shut up because they won an AP national championship in 1984 and have a national fanbase. A nasty attitude like that won't win you any friends.

BYU tried to get into the Big 12 but the Big 12 didn't want to deal with all their business. Students councils at Big 12 schools passed resolutions demanding BYU be kept away. MWC schools still have a rotten taste in their mouth from when they had to be in the same league with BYU and don't schedule them. BYU didn't blink an eye when it set out to basically end the MWC until Commissioner Thompson herorically saved the league.

Even the Utah Utes got tired of BYU and tried to quit scheduling them but the state legislature stepped in and threatened to audit the Utah athletic department if they didn't add them back onto the schedule. USU fans are getting tired of BYU also but the legislature would probably come after the Aggies too if we tried to quit playing them.

Now BYU fans are mad because they are stuck in the independence deal and play schools like Wagner and Portland State all the time and the only thing to team plays for is to get to 6 wins to go to a low tier bowl.
cowboyz
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

They convinced themselves that they had a national fan base, which they don't. While Mormons live all over the place, they are still concentrated in one region and most do not watch BYU football, regardless of where they live. Someone from the Mormon religion that attended Utah is a Utah fan, or attended Ohio State is an Ohio State fan, etc. Not all Catholics follow or support Notre Dame. Some do, and with 10 times the amount of Catholics than Mormons in the USA, it helps them with their ratings. What also helps Notre Dame is they are one of the winningest programs of all time and their schedule, for the most part, is full of popular and powerful programs. Half the people watching Notre Dame games are fans of their opponents. I think that's where BYU has it wrong. All Catholic's do not watch Notre Dame, all Blacks do not watch Grambling and all Mormons do not watch BYU.

Having said that, BYU does do well in most sports consistently, so competitively speaking, they'd be a good addition to any smaller conference. But my vote would be to let them continue as they are.
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

And bump this for the hell of it
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Mormons are a bigoted religion ( like many religions but bigots all the same) and BYU is a school of bigoted idiology. Why play them?
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

BYU and their "fans" is part of why I HATE religion in general.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

In before the lock.
Vt poke
Ranch Hand

We should play anyone, anywhere if it helps our team. With that being said, beating BYU might not be as good as beating The Ohio State, it definitely is on par with beating a low level PAC 12 school in Wash State (which we will do this weekend). And will fill the stands and create in my opinion, a lot more revenue for UW. Every college team needs a villain. We get two with BYU and CSU