What's up Wyoming fans?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Avery
Buckaroo

I thought I'd come over here to congratulate you on a solid year in football. Looks like you guys have a lot of talent at the skill positions, namely QB, RB and TE.

I don't think it will be an easy game. Our offense at times has looked bad, other times OK - so hard to know what we'll see on the offensive side from BYU...it will be interesting to see Tanner play.

I watched a lot of your game with Boise, was really impressed with how Wyoming competed and responded in that game.

Reading through some of the threads, I'm sad that some of you harbor a lot of angst about BYU leaving the MWC.
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

It should be a good matchup. As far as our ill feelings toward BYU it's hard not to have ill feelings toward byu.

We were business partners for near 100 years, byu was already rich and decided to get greedy and in the process tried to form an alliance with the WAC and other members of the mountain west conference to form a basketball conference as they went independent. In the process the front range schools could have been completly without a home and possibly could have been like New Mexico State and Idaho and been in college football purgatory. That move, had it happened could have destroyed cowboy football.
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
cowboyz
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

Avery wrote:I thought I'd come over here to congratulate you on a solid year in football. Looks like you guys have a lot of talent at the skill positions, namely QB, RB and TE.

I don't think it will be an easy game. Our offense at times has looked bad, other times OK - so hard to know what we'll see on the offensive side from BYU...it will be interesting to see Tanner play.

I watched a lot of your game with Boise, was really impressed with how Wyoming competed and responded in that game.

Reading through some of the threads, I'm sad that some of you harbor a lot of angst about BYU leaving the MWC.
Is "angst" the word you were looking for? I ask, as I don't feel there would be much discussion regarding the BYU football program had you not been able to play your way into a MWC bowl game. I too don't think we will have any easy game. While our schedule ended up playing out to be tougher than yours, it wasn't like you scheduled traditionally easy programs, they just weren't so good this year. So similar records, similar competition, should be a good one.
Avery
Buckaroo

The most recent SOS rankings I see has:

BYU - 57
Wyoming - 81

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-fo ... h-by-other
wellpoke
Ranch Hand

Should be a good game, and I'm looking forward to it.

But there's no angst over the fact that BwhYU left. Most of us have issues with HOW the whiners left. Trying to kill the conference on the way out the door left a bad taste in our mouths. It's as simple as that.

GO POKES!
Avery
Buckaroo

I haven't come here to beat my chest, so I won't question the issues you have.
pokecountant
Ranch Hand

Avery wrote:The most recent SOS rankings I see has:

BYU - 57
Wyoming - 81

Strength of Schedule can be misleading. I prefer the strength of wins. You all have 1 win against teams with winning records. (not your fault that the teams you scheduled and ended up beating went on to suck this year, but still)
Avery
Buckaroo

Boise is the best win out of the two teams for sure. I'm surprised BYU played them as close as they did. It felt like we were getting killed the whole game to me.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 141 times

Avery wrote:Boise is the best win out of the two teams for sure. I'm surprised BYU played them as close as they did. It felt like we were getting killed the whole game to me.
Wyoming is a little thin on the D compared to what we had versus AF and BSU. Think it's hurting us more than some are willing to admit. We're still young with not a lot of depth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
W-Y, Until I Die!
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

laxwyo wrote:
Avery wrote:Boise is the best win out of the two teams for sure. I'm surprised BYU played them as close as they did. It felt like we were getting killed the whole game to me.
Wyoming is a little thin on the D compared to what we had versus AF and BSU. Think it's hurting us more than some are willing to admit. We're still young with not a lot of depth.

Losing our three best players on defense has definitely hurt. :(
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

Asmodeanreborn wrote:
laxwyo wrote:

Yep....best pass rusher (maybe in the MWC), best interior Dlineman, and fastest defensive player. The loss of these three has most definitely hurt.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

JimmyDimes wrote:
Asmodeanreborn wrote:
laxwyo wrote:

Yep....best pass rusher (maybe in the MWC), best interior Dlineman, and fastest defensive player. The loss of these three has most definitely hurt.
And Appleby was a playmaker. A pick 6 against the sheep and the safety against BSU for the win. Not to mention all the times he disrupted plays. His backups definitely have size, but are young and just not as fast as he was.
cowboyz
Cowpoke

Avery wrote:The most recent SOS rankings I see has:

BYU - 57
Wyoming - 81

Well, if you're going to throw www.teamrankings.com at me, what argument do I have? Their pedigree stretching all the way back to 2011, combined with the fact that they brag about the fact that they use pre-season ratings in their formula, rather than actual games played, sounds like a slam dunk to me. Before the season it appeared BYU had a pretty stacked schedule, unfortunately it isn't how the season played out. Your best win was Toledo, not too shabby. We did okay against Boise and SDS. Playing teams with winning records, we got you there. Common opponents, got you there as well. Your SOS means you played Boise, we beat Boise. Look at Rutgers, they had a nasty SOS I'd bet, but they lost to these teams. Is Rutgers a good team? SOS is great if you're beating the teams with good records, but if you're losing to them, not so much...
Avery
Buckaroo

thanks for the insight...pretty solid.
Avery
Buckaroo

cowboyz wrote: Look at Rutgers, they had a nasty SOS I'd bet, but they lost to these teams. Is Rutgers a good team? SOS is great if you're beating the teams with good records, but if you're losing to them, not so much...
Yeah Rutgers sucks, they only beat UNM by 11 points.
cowboyz
Cowpoke

Avery wrote:
cowboyz wrote: Look at Rutgers, they had a nasty SOS I'd bet, but they lost to these teams. Is Rutgers a good team? SOS is great if you're beating the teams with good records, but if you're losing to them, not so much...
Yeah Rutgers sucks, they only beat UNM by 11 points.
So you think Rutgers had a good team this year?
Avery
Buckaroo

no question, Rutgers has had a terrible year.
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

Comparing 2 football teams playing a common opponent and predicting the outcome is something a tennis analyst might do. It has a better chance of working in tennis than it does here.

In football, we have hundreds of minds going against each other in the matchup. Thousands of possible matchups for the game. What Wyoming did to Boise has nothing to do with how BYU played Boise.

Wyoming's key will be getting the offense opened up. We won't win if we can run and throw the ball. Wyoming's key on defense will be stopping the run and getting some turnovers.

BYU - well, I haven't really watched them in 6 years I guess. Bronco is gone - so I have no idea how to predict this game - I think it will be close though.