Allen going 3rd overall?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

Agreed... defense should be better but offensively I can't picture anything but a regression without Allen.

Even with him I think there will be some growing pains as we break in new skill guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
castlerocker
Cowpoke

The difference between the pro's and college is that in the pro's you don't get much time to prove yourself.

If you have issues with your game, they don't want to wait for you to produce.

Go back to college, work on the things you will need to master before you get in the pro pressure cooker.

Next year I believe we play Oregon so that will be good exposure for the experts that don't know your name.
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

Iowa should be the game to prove himself as Oregon is a shell of its former self

LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

djm19 wrote:Lost in all of this, isn't it interesting the leading rusher in Wyo history is also gone.... And it seems like we've forgotten.

Allen is the biggest difference between last year and our success this year. With departure of Hill, Hollister, Allen, Gentry and Roulier... That is A LOT of rebuild folks. 2017 could be bumpy. People thinking we will pick right up where we left off this year are up in the night.
If we have Allen we'll pick up right where we left off.
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

LanderPoke wrote:
djm19 wrote:Lost in all of this, isn't it interesting the leading rusher in Wyo history is also gone.... And it seems like we've forgotten.

Allen is the biggest difference between last year and our success this year. With departure of Hill, Hollister, Allen, Gentry and Roulier... That is A LOT of rebuild folks. 2017 could be bumpy. People thinking we will pick right up where we left off this year are up in the night.
I'm not so sure. Gentry was his constant safety valve I think it will take him some time to get into a rhythm with a new receiver corp.

Running back comes down to opening the holes and a more seasoned offensive line should do that.

djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

LanderPoke wrote:

I am a huge Allen fan. But I watched several of the games over. Many of the highlight reel plays... credit to Gentry. Unreal catches.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

djm19 wrote:
LanderPoke wrote:

I am a huge Allen fan. But I watched several of the games over. Many of the highlight reel plays... credit to Gentry. Unreal catches.
Gentry was incredible and I'm not sure he can be replaced. I just think with the improvement in the offensive line and overall talent we'll be just fine if Allen comes back. We need to be at a place where we reload and not rebuild
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

The hype on Josh is too much. His last pass of the season is the #1 reason he needs to be a college qb next season
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

BeaverPoke wrote:The hype on Josh is too much. His last pass of the season is the #1 reason he needs to be a college qb next season
I'm excited for him that he's getting this much attention. But I tend to agree. I have went back and watched several of his highlight-reel throws. They were some pretty amazing catches as well.

Stay in school Josh. Another year in this system would potentially pay off much more than now.
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

It's wild to me that NFL teams would want him now and not tell him to work out his progressions and the mental game.

He has raw skills but needs refinement and in order to refine those skills he needs live reps.

Stay and increase your NFL stock by throwing fewer picks and a higher completion percentage. Then he's a sure fire draft pick.

Brett thought for sure he would be drafted and thought his skills would outweigh his deficits but his weaknesses were too great to overlook by NFL teams. Don't let that happen to you josh! We

pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

pokefanchaz7 wrote:It's wild to me that NFL teams would want him now and not tell him to work out his progressions and the mental game.

He has raw skills but needs refinement and in order to refine those skills he needs live reps.

Stay and increase your NFL stock by throwing fewer picks and a higher completion percentage. Then he's a sure fire draft pick.

Brett thought for sure he would be drafted and thought his skills would outweigh his deficits but his weaknesses were too great to overlook by NFL teams. Don't let that happen to you josh!

LaradiseCowboy
Ranch Hand

Here we go again with the Brett and Josh comparisons....
Poke-proud
Cowpoke

LaradiseCowboy wrote:Here we go again with the Brett and Josh comparisons....
because the comparisons are relevant.

pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

It just the nearest comparison we have. I remember him getting a lot of hype when he declared.

I know Brett was much smaller but he was our last qb that left early for the draft was hyped up and then... we know how that story ended.

I'm not an NFL scout but I have eyes. I remember the games he was electric but I also remember game where he didn't look great. Did he look good more often then not? You bet but when I think of a guy with one year of division one experience getting drafted to the NFL I think of a guy with a better completion percentage, (it's not like he had a bunch of stone-hands for receivers) and I think of a guy who isn't forcing throws that obviously are not there.

The throws across his body and across the field are the worst examples.

Again I'm not saying he's not talented and I'm not saying he doesn't have a future in the NFL but fix those issues and then go for it. I just have a difficult time believing I can see these glaring deficiencies in his game but NFL teams investing millions of dollars would shrug them off.

303cowboy
Cowpoke
Been liked: 9 times

I read somewhere that Josh's decision was kind of tied to UNC's Mitch Trubisky. The thought was that if Trubisky returned for another year, Josh would declare for the draft since the QB class would be so weak. Well Trubisky just declared for the draft so I guess that's a good sign.
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

Allen needs to realize his stock is so high because this is a terrible quarterback class. Going high this year is a great way to have a short career on a bad team. He's nowhere near ready to be an NFL starter. Staying through his senior season is his best option for a long NFL career. Quarterbacks can play into their late 30's and 40's. He doesn't need to be worried about a window like a running back does. Bohl' system translates to the NFL. He's not in a gimmick offense like Brett was.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

:orly:
Poke-proud wrote:
LaradiseCowboy wrote:Here we go again with the Brett and Josh comparisons....
because the comparisons are relevant.

How?

One was a spread option qb that was undersizes by nfl standards that had a slow long release. The other is an nfl sizes kid with likely the strongest arm in college football and playing in an pro style offense.

You are looking at it as a cowboy fan only.
"Both were non-senior wyoming qbs that play with a lot of fire" is as far as the comparison goes.

Their styles are completely different. And that is what the nfl scouts look at. So no, the comparisons are not revelvant.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

The players are different but the draft hype was similar, both had glaring weaknesses and both are possibly leaving school early that is the comparison.

Brett was touted as a cheaper but possibly better version of johnny football in those pre draft articles.

Brett had the fastest 40 times of all the qbs in that draft class but did not get a combine invite. Brett was great at what he did but his weaknesses were not overlooked by the NFL. I don't think allens weaknesses will be overlooked either.

That is why it's relevant. Are they different players yes but they were both very good at what they did and Brett got burned for it we are just hoping that josh sees that and learns from that. He was the hero and the goat during the season and he will be better with a year of seasoning. That's all I'm saying.

Poke-proud
Cowpoke

pokefanchaz7 wrote:The players are different but the draft hype was similar, both had glaring weaknesses and both are possibly leaving school early that is the comparison.

Brett was touted as a cheaper but possibly better version of johnny football in those pre draft articles.

Brett had the fastest 40 times of all the qbs in that draft class but did not get a combine invite. Brett was great at what he did but his weaknesses were not overlooked by the NFL. I don't think allens weaknesses will be overlooked either.

That is why it's relevant. Are they different players yes but they were both very good at what they did and Brett got burned for it we are just hoping that josh sees that and learns from that. He was the hero and the goat during the season and he will be better with a year of seasoning. That's all I'm saying.

Well done Fanchez, nothing I could add that would add to this.