Allen going 3rd overall?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

pokefanchaz7 wrote:The players are different but the draft hype was similar...
Please provide a mock draft that had Brett Smith going 3rd overall, or an article by Mel Kiper saying he was the best G5 QB prospect.
dapokes
Ranch Hand

DVDA wrote:Allen needs to realize his stock is so high because this is a terrible quarterback class. Going high this year is a great way to have a short career on a bad team. He's nowhere near ready to be an NFL starter. Staying through his senior season is his best option for a long NFL career. Quarterbacks can play into their late 30's and 40's. He doesn't need to be worried about a window like a running back does. Bohl' system translates to the NFL. He's not in a gimmick offense like Brett was.
Unless he went to the Bears. This is their highest pick in 55 years.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

pokefanchaz7 wrote:The players are different but the draft hype was similar, both had glaring weaknesses and both are possibly leaving school early that is the comparison.
Brett was mocked to go 3rd overall?
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
LaradiseCowboy
Ranch Hand

BeaverPoke hits the nail on the head. 2 completely different QBs, one perfect for a college spread offense and one built for the NFL. Brett was never touted this highly even in his prime. Heck of a competitor, but we're comparing apples to oranges at this point.
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

My point stands that he has much to improve on and would be wise to stay.

I did find articles citing that Brett was projected as high as the second round and obviously that was overshooting and I think given his short comings he does not look like a first round pick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
303cowboy
Cowpoke
Been liked: 9 times

DVDA wrote:Allen needs to realize his stock is so high because this is a terrible quarterback class. Going high this year is a great way to have a short career on a bad team. He's nowhere near ready to be an NFL starter. Staying through his senior season is his best option for a long NFL career. Quarterbacks can play into their late 30's and 40's. He doesn't need to be worried about a window like a running back does. Bohl' system translates to the NFL. He's not in a gimmick offense like Brett was.
Which is exactly what you should take advantage of in my opinion. Who knows if he'll have a chance get drafted that high again. If he knew he would be a first round pick this year he should leave school. NFL teams give first round QB picks every chance possible. Jacksonville is currently building it's new coaching staff on who can help Blake Bortles the most. Denver will do the same thing for Paxton Lynch. It happens all the time. Later round QBs aren't as lucky. NFL GM's jobs are decided on first round QB picks. If their QB fails, they'll fire the coaching staff (or push Kubiak out and site health reasons in Denver's case) first, hire a new staff that promises they know how to fix the QB and if it still doesn't work out, the GM gets fired.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

303cowboy wrote:
Which is exactly what you should take advantage of in my opinion. Who knows if he'll have a chance get drafted that high again. If he knew he would be a first round pick this year he should leave school. NFL teams give first round QB picks every chance possible. Jacksonville is currently building it's new coaching staff on who can help Blake Bortles the most. Denver will do the same thing for Paxton Lynch. It happens all the time. Later round QBs aren't as lucky. NFL GM's jobs are decided on first round QB picks. If their QB fails, they'll fire the coaching staff (or push Kubiak out and site health reasons in Denver's case) first, hire a new staff that promises they know how to fix the QB and if it still doesn't work out, the GM gets fired.
Pretty much this. If he can actually be a first rounder (which I doubt) he should declare irregardless of whether he's ready. 1st round money is life-changing money. You just gotta declare if you are really going to be a 1st rounder. However, if Josh isn't going in the 1st round he should absolutely stay. If you ain't a first rounder it's a tough row to hoe.

I just don't think because some guy, ONE guy, said you are a first rounder you are a first rounder. If Josh declares he will get drafted somewhere, but I highly doubt it will be in the first round.

As pretty much everyone has said Josh should come back because he most likely won't be a first rounder this year. Get some more experience and hype and throw your hat into the ring next year!
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

I think I figured out who those anonymous people that are saying he is a first rounder are: Those coaches he would be facing next year and want him gone.
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Matt Miller created a cluster....

One opinion article created hype and here we are.
dapokes
Ranch Hand

Does anyone else sort of love the attention this is bringing to the program? Don't think that recruits with Wyo offers aren't noticing.
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

303cowboy wrote:
Do you think he is a lock to be a first round pick? He has a lot of hype right now because one guy decided to put him at 3 so he can say "I was the first to mock him in the top 5." Josh has obvious NFL talent and scouts are surely drooling over his physical abilities. Once they get past that honeymoon they will realize he is very far from being an NFL quarterback. His footwork has been atrocious at times which is why his accuracy can be so bad. Teams are going to look at him and see he's far from ready and needs significant development. Allen declaring and being a second, third, or even fourth round pick isn't far fetched by any means. If that happens, he's suddenly one of those guys who doesn't get that franchise player label. He would be a developmental prospect that wouldn't get the preferential treatment you mentioned.

He will have an NFL future ahead of him no matter what. The correlation between college starts and NFL success is strong. The NFL isn't a developmental league; it's a "what have you done for me lately" kind of league. He would be wise to develop in college, get the two extra years as a starter, then approach the pro game as a seasoned college quarterback that ran a pro system. His chances of being a first round pick are higher with that approach than basing his draft stock on the "I said it first" guy.
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

dapokes wrote:Does anyone else sort of love the attention this is bringing to the program? Don't think that recruits with Wyo offers aren't noticing.
I really hope Harrison Van Dyne is paying attention. Playing with a future NFL quarterback would have to be enticing, assuming Josh decides to stay.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

The 16th can't get here quick enough. Though, the longer it takes, the more I think he stays.
Poke-proud
Cowpoke

This was on Josh's dads Facebook page.
http://trib.com/sports/college/wyoming/ ... 9764b.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
303cowboy
Cowpoke
Been liked: 9 times

DVDA wrote:
303cowboy wrote:
Do you think he is a lock to be a first round pick? He has a lot of hype right now because one guy decided to put him at 3 so he can say "I was the first to mock him in the top 5." Josh has obvious NFL talent and scouts are surely drooling over his physical abilities. Once they get past that honeymoon they will realize he is very far from being an NFL quarterback. His footwork has been atrocious at times which is why his accuracy can be so bad. Teams are going to look at him and see he's far from ready and needs significant development. Allen declaring and being a second, third, or even fourth round pick isn't far fetched by any means. If that happens, he's suddenly one of those guys who doesn't get that franchise player label. He would be a developmental prospect that wouldn't get the preferential treatment you mentioned.

He will have an NFL future ahead of him no matter what. The correlation between college starts and NFL success is strong. The NFL isn't a developmental league; it's a "what have you done for me lately" kind of league. He would be wise to develop in college, get the two extra years as a starter, then approach the pro game as a seasoned college quarterback that ran a pro system. His chances of being a first round pick are higher with that approach than basing his draft stock on the "I said it first" guy.
I really have no idea where or if he would get drafted this year. Matt Miller knows more that I do. If I had to guess I'd say no way is he a first round QB but crazier things (Tebow) have happened.. This just seems like a really weak QB class so sometimes timing is everything. Next year there are a lot of good QBs coming out: Rosen, Browning, Mayfield, etc. Im hoping he'll be the 1st overall pick in the 2019 draft.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

Adv8RU12 wrote:I think I figured out who those anonymous people that are saying he is a first rounder are: Those coaches he would be facing next year and want him gone.
The Sheep hacked our program...
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

I love Josh. I want what's best for him.... But I still think he needs more experience. Sure, you can't teach athleticism and natural ability. But you can teach experience. And after watching the national championship game tonight, he needs more experience.
KeepitrealWyo
Buckaroo

This is classic HOMER talk . Those of you who want him to stay want him to lead the Cowboys next year.
He is a first round draft pick- Guaranteed. He has to take the money and run for numerous reasons

1. Weak QB class and he will be one of the top 3 QB taken
2. He is 6'5 230 lb that can run a 4.7 40 yard dash and has a ROCKET (Little different than Smith)
3. He will learn more in one OTA period from the Pros than two years at Wyoming.
4. Look at the talent that wont be back on Offense- Two Best RB, Best TE, Two Best WR and Two best offensive Lineman. (Yes Cummings is out next year) This leaves him with a RB that had 11 carries a couple of WR with less than 15 catches and a TE with 4 catches. Offensive Line might be bigger with a year but Chase and Ryan led the line this year and will be hard to replace.

The reason to stay
1. If he wins with this team he will have a statue at the War.
2. Barring Injury, College is a great time and he deserves to enjoy

However if you were in his shoes what would you do ???????????????????????
Good Luck Josh See you on Sundays
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

KeepitrealWyo wrote:4. Look at the talent that wont be back on Offense- Two Best RB, Best TE, Two Best WR and Two best offensive Lineman. (Yes Cummings is out next year) This leaves him with a RB that had 11 carries a couple of WR with less than 15 catches and a TE with 4 catches. Offensive Line might be bigger with a year but Chase and Ryan led the line this year and will be hard to replace.
He could also look at that situation and say this will be HIS offense next year. Couldn't really say that this past year.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

joshvanklomp wrote:
pokefanchaz7 wrote:The players are different but the draft hype was similar, both had glaring weaknesses and both are possibly leaving school early that is the comparison.
Brett was mocked to go 3rd overall?
This keeps getting thrown out, but I think everyone needs to closely read what Matt Miller told Brandon Foster in this article: http://trib.com/sports/college/wyoming/ ... a95b3.html

Here is the key quote from Miller:
When I did the mock draft today, I thought, ‘You know what? Let’s just throw his name in the mix and see what happens.’ What would the feedback be like from people in the NFL? What would readers think? What would he think?

That's pretty much the definition of throwing something at the wall to see what sticks. This isn't based on serious information from sources, personnel departments, etc.

I am not coming at this from a homer perspective. I thought Brian Hill should declare early for a number of reasons and whether or not Allen does declare I will still cheer hard for him to have a successful NFL career. However, I think it would be a mistake for Allen to declare now.

One guy throwing out his name does not mean he is legitimately considered a Top 5 pick. I would love for that to happen, but I think it is pure fantasy.

Allen is a NFL prospect. He has the size, arm strength, competitiveness, etc. to someday have a NFL career, but he is so raw. He can benefit from another year in college in a way that a RB like Brian Hill cannot.