A big Wyoming welcome to Coach Hazelton!

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
wiley wapiti
Ranch Hand

Well, he looks the part...
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

From the Jacksonville Jaguars site:

Hazelton, 40, spent five seasons (2007-11) at North Dakota State, the first three years coaching the defensive line before he was promoted to defensive coordinator for the final two seasons. North Dakota State won the FCS national championship in 2011 and the Bison defense ranked in the FCS Top 20 in six categories: first in scoring defense, eighth in turnover margin, 16th in pass efficiency defense, 17th in rushing defense, 19th in sacks and 20th in total defense.

Prior to joining North Dakota State, Hazelton spent the 2006 season as linebackers coach at Michigan Tech and was the defensive coordinator at Missouri Southern from 2004-05. He served as defensive backs coach at Saint Olaf College in Minnesota from 2002-03. Hazelton began his coaching career at Fort Lewis College, his alma mater, handling the secondary for four seasons (1996-99) and serving as interim defensive coordinator in 1998. He was a graduate assistant working with the safeties for two seasons (2000-01) at North Dakota State where he worked under Jaguars head coach Gus Bradley and Jaguars defensive coordinator Bob Babich.

A native of Brighton, Colo., Hazelton starred at Horizon High School before playing linebacker at Fort Lewis College, where he was a three-year letter winner. He and his wife, Brooke, have two daughters, Ava and Sophie, and two sons, Bode West and Code Mosley.

http://www.jaguars.com/news/article-Pre ... 4c401df7cd
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

Wow, I hadn't dug into this guy. I'm pleased. I think we got guy that will transition easily and has local ties. Happy with the timing as well
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

Kind of a poop year at Nevada, but otherwise it makes sense. What type of D does he run? Same 4-3 Tampa 2 stuff?
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

LanderPoke wrote:Kind of a poop year at Nevada, but otherwise it makes sense. What type of D does he run? Same 4-3 Tampa 2 stuff?
To add on to LanderPoke's request, did Gus Bradley run the Seahawks version of the 4-3 under that was so effective? Bradley was a very good coordinator with the Seahawks. Hopefully Hazelton learned a few things from him in Jacksonville.
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

https://twitter.com/cheyennejournal/sta ... 0201183232 Bohl said in the release from UW,

“Scottie Hazelton brings a great body of experience, having coached in the NFL, in the PAC-12 and Mountain West. Most importantly, he was an architect of the start of our great defenses that we had at North Dakota State.”

“I’m so excited to become a Cowboy,” said Hazelton in the UW release. “Even though I’ve never lived in Wyoming, it feels like I’m coming home because of the history I have with Craig (Bohl) and his staff. I’m honored and humbled to have the opportunity to help continue the tradition and culture of Cowboy Football. I’m anxious to get started. Go Pokes!”

http://kgab.com/breaking-wyoming-hires- ... um=twitter

303cowboy
Cowpoke
Been liked: 9 times

POKE FAN wrote:https://twitter.com/cheyennejournal/sta ... 0201183232 Bohl said in the release from UW,

“Scottie Hazelton brings a great body of experience, having coached in the NFL, in the PAC-12 and Mountain West. Most importantly, he was an architect of the start of our great defenses that we had at North Dakota State.”

“I’m so excited to become a Cowboy,” said Hazelton in the UW release. “Even though I’ve never lived in Wyoming, it feels like I’m coming home because of the history I have with Craig (Bohl) and his staff. I’m honored and humbled to have the opportunity to help continue the tradition and culture of Cowboy Football. I’m anxious to get started. Go Pokes!”

http://kgab.com/breaking-wyoming-hires- ... um=twitter

Everyone knows the bigger the dip the better the coordinator. Looks like we're in good shape.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

ImageImageImageImage
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Wow, a defensive coordinator with actual credentials?

Pinch me, I must be dreaming.
hithere
Ranch Hand

Literally anyone is an upgrade over Steve Stanard. I just can't underline enough how poop of a coordinator that guy was. The facts speak for themselves though from his career.

I'm excited to see how Hazelton does.

Welcome aboard, Fat Gandalf!
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Sounds interesting!!!! He does realize Jacksonville is a long way from Laramie, LOL
whyoh
WyoNation Addict

dude needs to keep that beard
disclaimer: I could be wrong. I've done it before...I'll probably do it again.

a high fallootin'...rootin' tootin' sonofa gun from 'ol WYOMIN'
coachweidner
Buckaroo

stymeman wrote:Sounds interesting!!!! He does realize Jacksonville is a long way from Laramie, LOL
He is from Colorado so it's closer to where he is originally from.
Excited about this hire, looks like a great fit.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

Big old fat chew in his mouth. Should fit right in
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 230 times

Looking forward to seeing his defense and improvement of our linebackers! Hazelton is really taking a great job because our defense has been so bad for so long that even a marginal defense would be well received.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 230 times

I wonder how much Hazelton was involved with the development of Telvin Smith. Smith was a 5th round pick and is now arguably a top 5 outside linebacker in the NFL.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

I'm excited. Guy's got decent experience at a high level, and that he has NFL experience might get a couple of those last nice recruits to commit.