Possible new Pro Football League

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

The Pacific Pro Football League would not look to compete with the NFL, instead it would function similar to a developmental or minor league as a possible alternative to players going to college.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2686 ... =editorial

The biggest stipulation for players: to be eligible they can be no more than 4 years removed from high school graduation. Meaning this would give players an option to go straight out of high school instead of going to college first.

Obviously much more talk than substance at this point, but could be interesting. I would have to imagine that the P5 conferences would not like this to come to fruition.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 142 times

This needs to happen. The NFL should help pay for this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
W-Y, Until I Die!
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

I was for this when they were talking about giving players stipends. I hope this takes the wind out of the power 5's sails although these guys likely won't be able to pay these players nearly as much as SEC boosters.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

It's been tried before and has at the end flopped. Hopefully this one works better seems they are more competitive with pay that's a good start.

DVDA
A Real Cowboy

Wyo2dal wrote:It's been tried before and has at the end flopped. Hopefully this one works better seems they are more competitive with pay that's a good start.

Were they leagues for players who didn't make NFL rosters or for kids fresh out of high school? This is entirely different than any league before since it'll be college aged kids playing in a minor league system instead of going to college. Offering enough money to get these kids to opt for this option will be the most important aspect. I doubt many elite high school recruits would pass up an opportunity to make money as a full time football player over going to college to make no money and being forced to attend classes.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster

DVDA wrote:
Wyo2dal wrote:It's been tried before and has at the end flopped. Hopefully this one works better seems they are more competitive with pay that's a good start.

Were they leagues for players who didn't make NFL rosters or for kids fresh out of high school? This is entirely different than any league before since it'll be college aged kids playing in a minor league system instead of going to college. Offering enough money to get these kids to opt for this option will be the most important aspect. I doubt many elite high school recruits would pass up an opportunity to make money as a full time football player over going to college to make no money and being forced to attend classes.
It's not different at all is the exact same thing but they pay is better so bonus there. No one will be allowed in the league if they are more than 3 years removed from college.

FXFL - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fall_Ex ... all_League

Same exact thing made it two seasons. Can't recall which UW running back was in it but we had one.

DVDA
A Real Cowboy

Wyo2dal wrote:
DVDA wrote:

It's not different at all is the exact same thing but they pay is better so bonus there. No one will be allowed in the league if they are more than 3 years removed from college.

Same exact thing made it two seasons. Can't recall which UW running back was in it but we had one.

This league is targetting kids out of high school and only high school. This isn't a league for NFL rejects. It's a league for NFL hopefuls.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster

DVDA wrote:
Wyo2dal wrote:
DVDA wrote:

This league is targetting kids out of high school and only high school. This isn't a league for NFL rejects. It's a league for NFL hopefuls.
That's what they have all been. It's a semi pro league to develop players that are between high school and no longer than 3 years removed from college. Same exact thing different people running it but so far all the semi pro developmental leagues have failed.

I hope this one doesn't and maybe it won't it'll be nice to see people get that chance to develop more.

DVDA
A Real Cowboy

Wyo2dal wrote:
DVDA wrote:
Wyo2dal wrote:
DVDA wrote:

That's what they have all been. It's a semi pro league to develop players that are between high school and no longer than 3 years removed from college. Same exact thing different people running it but so far all the semi pro developmental leagues have failed.

I hope this one doesn't and maybe it won't it'll be nice to see people get that chance to develop more.

It's not what they have all been. They've all been leagues for guys who were cut from NFL rosters after ending their college careers.

This league is an alternate to college with players only being eligible for 4 years after high school graduation. That's a huge difference from all the old leagues. They're going to be trying to sign the ESPN top 100 recruits instead of seeing them go make Alabama and Ohio State a bunch of money. The NFL draft will be talking about the players from this developmental league as well as kids in college.
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

I don't like watering down the college game but also recognize that this would not impact the majority of Wyoming athletes and would likely level the playing field a bit.

I can see it potentially causing more tragic stories though as these players would make money but would not receive a college education so when the NFL career is ended due to injury or for those kids who don't make a roster at all they have no education and likely no money to get an education as they are not going to make life changing money in this league.

C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

I don't see how this would hurt the P5 any more than the G5. Seems like it would have the same effect on everyone.

Whatever. It'll probably fold after a few years.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

So which coaches who are known for developing players are going to leave their NFL or D1 jobs to go to this minor league?

Just stick with college football.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

So an occasional Top300 talent may go and play in this league, but the majority will continue to play at P5 schools.
Then a few non-elite P5 recruits will go and play, and some more G5 recruits will and play, meaning the P5 will raid a couple more recruits from G5 to fill their classes. The G5 will raid the FCS more and more.
There may be enough kids to make this new league's rosters full, but it won't come from elite future NFL talent. A couple here and there. The majority will continue to play college ball. So you will have a bunch of lower level kids who never got the offer they felt they deserved playing in this league and the quality will be crap.

Or, a lot will be enticed by the money, and some may go play in this league right away, but when it fails, all will return to normal in a couple years.
The P5 teams that lose recruits over it will begin the trickle-down raiding for other recruits from "lesser" schools. The best teams will stay the best, and the worst teams will remain the worst, but all in all the quality of play will be down for a few years.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.