CBS Sports to Air Black 14 documentary

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

http://awfulannouncing.com/2017/cbs-spo ... month.html
February is Black History Month and to celebrate the occasion, CBS Sports Network will air a documentary on 14 African-American Wyoming football players who were dismissed from the team. “The Black 14: Wyoming Football 1969″ wil look at the story of the men who protested racial injustices.
It will air:
The documentary will premiere on Saturday, February 11 at 10:30 p.m. ET with multiple replays throughout the month.
kdwrightuwyo
A Real Cowboy

Anyone else concerned that this may turn into another show/movie that will make make Laramie and the state Wyoming look like a bunch of racist rednecks?
whyoh
WyoNation Addict

kdwrightuwyo wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:37 am Anyone else concerned that this may turn into another show/movie that will make make Laramie and the state Wyoming look like a bunch of racist rednecks?
a little bit....but it is what it is

we know better
disclaimer: I could be wrong. I've done it before...I'll probably do it again.

a high fallootin'...rootin' tootin' sonofa gun from 'ol WYOMIN'
HiCountryCowboy
Ranch Hand

kdwrightuwyo wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:37 am Anyone else concerned that this may turn into another show/movie that will make make Laramie and the state Wyoming look like a bunch of racist rednecks?
Yes. Not really a happy ending to be had. At least no one watches the channel unless there is a game you want to see on it.
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

Has anyone figured out a wqay to see stuff like this if you dont get CBS Sports? I know games are hard to find with them...
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 300 times
Been liked: 119 times

No doubt...first thing I thought. Damn near 50 years ago...can we just not let it go? I bet it ends up like the last controversial Laramie situation, with only 1/2 of the truth being told. Ugh.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

McPeachy wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:57 am
No doubt...first thing I thought. Damn near 50 years ago...can we just not let it go? I bet it ends up like the last controversial Laramie situation, with only 1/2 of the truth being told. Ugh.

I agree 100%. Don't trust the media to get the whole story out and right.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 300 times
Been liked: 119 times

WYCowboy wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:00 pm
McPeachy wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:57 am

I agree 100%. Don't trust the media to get the whole story out and right.
The truth doesn't sell.

You need some serious blood & guts / some nastiness / some venomous mudslinging, or the uneducated masses won't click the bait!
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

Jeez guys. This is important history but it is history. Anything about this incident will have taken place 50 years ago. It has no bearing on the University/State/football team currently. I don't see how or why this documentary will do anything to make us look bad in current day. I am sure they went to the people who know a lot about the incident like Ryan Thorburn. Wasn't there a Wyoming PBS documentary on this a few years ago(seem to remember watching it but can't quite remember)? It is important to remember these incidents and not just forget them.

It was a bad incident in our schools history but that is not a bad thing to acknowledge. It has little to no bearing on us today.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

I find it not coincidental that it's airing right when Wyoming football is rising up again. It's up in the air whether CBS is trying to honor Wyoming's past or throw shade at our future.

Either way, it's not like Wyoming was the only campus facing racial issues in 1966/67. It was happening everywhere. The world was experiencing the civil rights movement. It wasn't part and parcel to just Wyoming.

It's a dark day in our history for the decision Llyod Eaton made.

It was a dark time in the history of the U.S.

I'm not proud of the decision Wyoming made in the late 1960's, but I'm thankful that we had our opportunity to learn and grow with the rest of the world.

Luckily Craig Bohl is the face of Wyoming football now, and he treats people kindly and with a great deal of respect.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 32 times

FYI we'll be talking to Ryan Thorburn a couple days before this airs and get his perspective.
ImageImageImageImage
whyoh
WyoNation Addict

MrTitleist wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:23 pm FYI we'll be talking to Ryan Thorburn a couple days before this airs and get his perspective.
i was wondering if they were going to include him on the documentary as maybe an expert interview
disclaimer: I could be wrong. I've done it before...I'll probably do it again.

a high fallootin'...rootin' tootin' sonofa gun from 'ol WYOMIN'
SnowyRange
Ranch Hand

It's up in the air weather CBS is trying to honor Wyoming's past or throw shade at our future.
I'm sure it's the latter. CBS noticed an 8-6 season and decided we needed to be squashed.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

If a documentary about racism existing in Laramie like 50 years ago affects our recruiting, how the hell do schools in Mississippi and Alabama get quality recruits?
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

As mentioned earlier, no one watches CBS Sports anyway. Plus, the amount of attention they gave the idiot protestors at the EMU game, CBSSN can stick it.
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:52 pm If a documentary about racism existing in Laramie like 50 years ago affects our recruiting, how the hell do schools in Mississippi and Alabama get quality recruits?
Money