Article: What Craig Bohl learned from Tom Osborne about recruiting and walk-ons

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Sorry if this was already posted. If you have one minute (literally it takes a minute) to read this, it is well worth it. It is something you assume is happening, but never know for sure. This explains a lot when it comes to the trajectory and culture Bohl is trying to build in Laramie. Barring a catastrophe, and if this trend continues, Bohl could go down as one of the Wyo greats.

http://www.coachingsearch.com/article?a ... nd-walkons

----------------------------------------------------
One reason coaches were against a June signing period was because they wouldn’t have a senior year in the evaluation of high school players.

While players commit earlier than ever, the senior season is still valuable, and Craig Bohl described what he looks for when watching a recruit play — the factors you don’t see on film.

Bohl spoke to an auditorium of coaches at last week’s AFCA Convention in Nashville and described some lessons he learned under Tom Osborne at Nebraska and took to North Dakota State and Wyoming.

“We feel like it’s imperative to do in-season evaluations,” Bohl said. “There’s no substitute other than being on the sideline or in the stands and watching how that player responds. When he comes off, does he sit by himself, or does he engage with his teammates? Is he the first guy to the locker room, or is he the last? When the coach is taking to him, does he look them in the eye, or does he have a disconnected look? How does he respond?

“How does a quarterback respond when he throws an interception? How does he respond when they go on a touchdown drive? You’re going to make a decision on a youngster you’re going to have for four years off of 20 clips from Hudl?”

With December signing, those in-season evaluations become even more important, and Bohl explained how Wyoming does it.

“What we do during the course of the year, four guys go out every Thursday, right after practice. We call them the four horsemen,” he said. “Those guys and myself, every Friday night we’re some place. I know people can say, ‘You can see it on tape.’ Coach Osborne told me the tape can lie to you. There’s a whole window into recruiting and evaluation.”

At Nebraska, NDSU and Wyoming, Bohl has been in places where it’s hard to get top-level players. The coach and the program have to reflect those communities, and player development becomes even more important. That was a key lesson learned from Osborne.

“It’s important to identify the right prospects,” Bohl said. “I was walking down the hall late in Coach Osborne’s career, and he said, ‘You know, Craig, I’ve found through the years that the guys I used to beg to come to Nebraska never end up playing. And the ones that really wanted to be there ended up playing. Finally, I came to the conclusion to look them in the eye, tell them what we’re going to do, and then see if it’s what we’re looking for.’

“When we went to Wyoming, our staff sat down, and we came up with our profile.”

Osborne’s tenure at Nebraska was also highlighted by its walk-on program. It made an impact on Bohl and followed him to NDSU and Wyoming. At smaller programs like that, it can be even more important.

Bohl recounted a time the Nebraska staff spent all morning looking at tape. Bohl questioned why they were going over some of the walk-on film when he felt it didn't matter.

“There was a guy who was the fourth-team fullback, and I was hungry and wanted to go to lunch, and I said, ‘Coach, why are we watching this guy? He’s never going to play for us.’” Bohl recalled. “He looked over at me and said, ‘I don’t ever want to hear you say he’s never going to play. We don’t say that around here. If that guy’s out there busting his butt and giving his all, we’re going to evaluate him.’

“As you have your walk-ons, it’s imperative they get feedback. They’re not a blocking dummy. If you have 20, two might end up playing meaningful time, but the others add great value to your preparation, and they are models for your other players. It’s important to our program.”
Lost Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 15 times

Geez, most baseball coaches struggle to pay attention to the #11 and #12 players on their rosters, so if Bohl is paying attention to the #80+ players on his teams he is doing a great thing.