Five Possible Impact Freshman

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 32 times

http://wyonation.com/2017/02/five-possi ... ball-2017/

Chad's writing about five recruits he sees as having an immediate impact on the team.
ImageImageImageImage
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

Nice write up, Chad. Informative and well done.
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 596 times
Been liked: 238 times

Nice blog!
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

Nicely composed. The big point out of this write-up for me is that Bohl is getting this program to the point where playing freshmen is less a necessity. If there ARE a handful of frosh with the ability to play immediately and productively moving forward, then that should be a solid reflection on the staff's ability to evaluate and recruit. Bohl seems like a straight shooter, so when he says that the staff was able to land a lot (or most) of the kids at the top of the lists on their 2017 "Wyoming profile" pool, then this program is headed in the right direction.

I'm excited about this staff's ability to find hidden gems.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

I like the fact that there were no JCs signed. That tells me Bohl is pretty confident in every position. Good times are ahead.
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

LB was probably my biggest area of concern since we're losing Wacha and May. I got nervous when I saw we only signed 2 LB's and 1 is rumored to be leaving on a mission. It's nice to see the "athlete" we recruited is expected to slot into that position.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

cali2wyo wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:53 am LB was probably my biggest area of concern since we're losing Wacha and May. I got nervous when I saw we only signed 2 LB's and 1 is rumored to be leaving on a mission. It's nice to see the "athlete" we recruited is expected to slot into that position.

I have lost track, do we have any LBs coming off redshirt?
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

I think we already had some good LB waiting in the wings. Jahmari Moore, Drew Harvey, Adrian King, Jaylon Watson and Cashhhhhhhh Maluia the staff is said to be really high on.

I think we upgraded our D line this class significantly. Future is bright there.

With the new D coordinator and an improving D line, I think we can be a top half defensive team in the MWC next year.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:48 am I like the fact that there were no JCs signed. That tells me Bohl is pretty confident in every position. Good times are ahead.
We did get a long snapper transfer with only 1 year of eligibility left, though. Not that I mind. Just thought I'd mention it, since it's more or less like a JuCo.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

I'm more excited by the reasons why some of our freshmen might be impact players.

We're still young at a couple of different spots: linebacker, wide receiver, and probably tight end. The rest of the team is starting to develop real depth.

I think this is the best class Bohl has recruited as a head coach and maybe the best class Wyoming has recruited in 20 years.

The reason: the physicality, athleticism, and size of the guys as seniors in high school. Gone are the days when we recruit 190 pound defensive linemen and then spend 4 years trying to get them physical enough to play the position effectively.

The linemen we're recruiting are 260-300 pounds as seniors in high school. The linebackers are 6'3" and 6'5" while still being fast and athletic. The db's are 6"0" tall or taller. The majority of guys in the class of 2017 are as big and physical as some of the sophomores on our teams of recent memory.

That's what seperates this class from any I can remember during the last 20 years. These guys are physically ready when they get here.

I think the impact freshmen will be in positions that don't have depth. We could use another d-end, another d tackle, a tight end, a couple of wide receivers, a center, a punter, a db, a long snapper, and some linebackers.

That's why I think the following guys have a chance to be impact freshmen: Victor Jones, Rovantae Holt, Patrick Arnold, CJ(nice name CJ) Coldon, Avante Cox, Gavin Dunayski, Javaree Jackson, Jared Scott, Eric Renfroe, Nate Weiman, Davin Wells Ross, Trey Woods, Tim Zaleski, and Kolton Donovan.

Those are the new guys that play positions where you might see a freshman break in. Who knows, maybe Holliday or Dorfner will break in at running back. That's a big list of freshmen with the size and talent to make an impact on a team starting to develop real depth: the biggest list of potential impact freshmen I can remember in 20 years.

To me, the guys I think will make the rotation are Kolton Donovan, Tim Zaleski, Patrick Arnold, Victor Jones, Jared Scott, Trey Woods and Nate Weiman.

It's a crap shoot when your class is full of guys with the necessary size to play as freshmen, and the class of 2017 is loaded with guys that are physically ready to play college ball right now.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.