How many of you are paying to read Wyoming Tribune articles?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

joshvanklomp wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:22 pm
CowboyNV wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:07 pmI understand the ads with buying a printed edition, but there are little to no "printing" costs with an internet site. So, until I can find a newspaper that actually stops ALL ads with my subscription, I won't be buying their product.
Domain costs, hosting costs, upkeep costs, etc.

Just because it's free to read doesn't mean it's free for a company to create and maintain a website
Look, I don't think you understand, so I'll slow it down for you and the others (JesseJames02) who seem confused. I know it costs money to run a web site. I have no problem paying for an online subscription, I simply do not want to be assaulted with their incessant ads after I pay the monthly subscription fee. I also have paid subscriptions to newspapers, and understand that the ads are just something I have to put up with - that's the way it's always been with print. As far as paying their writers, these online stories are the same ones that appear in the newspapers. All they have is some intern copying articles that were written for the print part of the business, and pasting them into their online content. So, I don't need a f-word education in how news outlets work or survive. I'm just stating that I will not pay for online content via a subscription IF they cannot/do not turn off the f-word ads. Just that simple. Rant over.
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
jessejames02
Ranch Hand

CowboyNV wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:26 pm
joshvanklomp wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:22 pm
CowboyNV wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:07 pmI understand the ads with buying a printed edition, but there are little to no "printing" costs with an internet site. So, until I can find a newspaper that actually stops ALL ads with my subscription, I won't be buying their product.
Domain costs, hosting costs, upkeep costs, etc.

Just because it's free to read doesn't mean it's free for a company to create and maintain a website
Look, I don't think you understand, so I'll slow it down for you and the others (JesseJames02) who seem confused. I know it costs money to run a web site. I have no problem paying for an online subscription, I simply do not want to be assaulted with their incessant ads after I pay the monthly subscription fee. I also have paid subscriptions to newspapers, and understand that the ads are just something I have to put up with - that's the way it's always been with print. As far as paying their writers, these online stories are the same ones that appear in the newspapers. All they have is some intern copying articles that were written for the print part of the business, and pasting them into their online content. So, I don't need a f-word education in how news outlets work or survive. I'm just stating that I will not pay for online content via a subscription IF they cannot/do not turn off the f-word ads. Just that simple. Rant over.
I'll dumb it down.

No ads = no stories.

Unless that is, you know somebody willing to work 40+ hours a week for the $2,000 a year net you'd make off subscription sales.
52-56
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 230 times

Wyomingnews.com going to a hard paywall for all news stories starting March 1.

http://m.wyomingnews.com/news/hard-payw ... 524d2.html

Interesting. I would think the loss of clicks won't be offset by any increase in revenue of the additional digital subscribers. Personally for me, I don't read enough of their articles to justify a subscription so I will just stop going there all together.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Trust me, hard paywalls are a bad idea!

We had one for about the last three years at the place I work at and recently dropped it.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
wyocowboy2014
A Real Cowboy

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:11 am Wyomingnews.com going to a hard paywall for all news stories starting March 1.

http://m.wyomingnews.com/news/hard-payw ... 524d2.html

Interesting. I would think the loss of clicks won't be offset by any increase in revenue of the additional digital subscribers. Personally for me, I don't read enough of their articles to justify a subscription so I will just stop going there all together.
I wonder if the new paywall will be as easy to bypass at the current Wyoming News one.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 105 times

wyocowboy2014 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:52 am I wonder if the new paywall will be as easy to bypass at the current Wyoming News one.
It's not. It's a hard and fast paywall. There are ways around it, but none that I've found that actually let you read the articles in their intended format.
mwc fan
Cowpoke

It really was just a matter of time before they charged. Everyone else is.