How many of you are paying to read Wyoming Tribune articles?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

Before we used to have both the Laramie Boomerang and the Tribune Eagle sports pages to read. Then they merged into the Wyosports poop show.

Now that poop show is trying to charge me to read articles.

Yeah right.

Did anyone actually sign up and pay to read those articles? I just want to get an idea of how successful the Tribune Eagle's attempt to ring money from Wyoming athletics fans will be.

With the CST focusing their efforts on pushing the agenda to drop down a division, and the Tribune Eagle monetizing their crappy coverage, it looks like I'm running out of newspapers in Wyoming that I'll actuallly read.

There's better information on this board.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 31 times

Fun fact: This is the only place to read Wyoming Athletics (aside from UW itself) stuff that isn't behind a paywall.
ImageImageImageImage
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

I understand that similar to the "video killed the radio star", that internet killed the newspaper star. Still, I'm not paying a fee for the slack ass effort they put in at the Tribune Eagle and I'm not paying for the CST to publish 4 articles about Wyoming dropping down a division, when they we're convinced we would be experiencing another 2-10 football season.

If they want me to pay to read, they should hire a beat writer that's older than some of the pairs of pants that I own, and has a resume with something other than "college student" on it.

Wyoming athletics media is terrible.

I appreciate what you guys do here on Wyonation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iwuy4hHO3YQ
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

yeah most newspapers on line want to do that now adays it sucks but guess that's what this world's coming too, I get the paper daily at work, but nothing ever earth shattering
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

It's paying for a service. Newspapers have lost money on its free websites for years and are now trying to make up for it, only more people are walking away rather than paying the price.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

Cowboy Junky wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:37 am Before we used to have both the Laramie Boomerang and the Tribune Eagle sports pages to read. Then they merged into the Wyosports poop show.

Now that poop show is trying to charge me to read articles.

Yeah right.

Did anyone actually sign up and pay to read those articles? I just want to get an idea of how successful the Tribune Eagle's attempt to ring money from Wyoming athletics fans will be.

With the CST focusing their efforts on pushing the agenda to drop down a division, and the Tribune Eagle monetizing their crappy coverage, it looks like I'm running out of newspapers in Wyoming that I'll actuallly read.

There's better information on this board.
Not a chance in hell I will pay for newspaper content (to read online). Their "news" is a day old (plus) to begin with.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

MrTitleist wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:50 am Fun fact: This is the only place to read Wyoming Athletics (aside from UW itself) stuff that isn't behind a paywall.
And I love you for that. Not in a creepy sense, but in a sense that I will get you hammered the next time our paths cross.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

McPeachy wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:19 am Not a chance in hell I will pay for newspaper content (to read online). Their "news" is a day old (plus) to begin with.
Exactly. Why pay for something that is essentially outdated? Vorel - and to an extent, Homogren - used to do some really nice features, but paying to read game summaries or the opinions of a 21 year old kid seems ridiculous.
The only way I can see myself paying for my "news" is if Twitter starts charging for subscriptions, but I definitely won't be willing to pay THAT much for it...
elfletcho
Ranch Hand

MrTitleist wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:50 am Fun fact: This is the only place to read Wyoming Athletics (aside from UW itself) stuff that isn't behind a paywall.
This is why I have my adblocker turned off for wyonation.com. You guys do a great job.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

You guys understand that newspapers are businesses, yes? Do the places you work give away everything? I'm guessing not. And as far as the age of the Trib beat writers, it's because no seasoned journalist is going to want to work like a dog for $25,000 a year, if that.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

SDPokeFan wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:39 pm You guys understand that newspapers are businesses, yes? Do the places you work give away everything? I'm guessing not. And as far as the age of the Trib beat writers, it's because no seasoned journalist is going to want to work like a dog for $25,000 a year, if that.
I agree. What other business sells their product for free?
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

LanderPoke wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:42 pm
SDPokeFan wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:39 pm You guys understand that newspapers are businesses, yes? Do the places you work give away everything? I'm guessing not. And as far as the age of the Trib beat writers, it's because no seasoned journalist is going to want to work like a dog for $25,000 a year, if that.
*suppressing urge to make a "your mom" joke*
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

cali2wyo wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:45 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:42 pm
*suppressing urge to make a "your mom" joke*
:lol: made me laugh
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

I have no problem with paying for news online, if they actually stop the incessant advertising. The problem with most is they promise "no ads with paid content" and then when one pays up and goes to the site, it still has ads on it. I understand the ads with buying a printed edition, but there are little to no "printing" costs with an internet site. So, until I can find a newspaper that actually stops ALL ads with my subscription, I won't be buying their product.
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 31 times

My problem is multiple subscriptions.. like, what if I want to read WyoSports, and Trib, plus I already subscribe to Skyline Sports (supportin' my buddy Kyle), that's a lot of subscriptions to read something once or twice a week from each outlet.
ImageImageImageImage
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

I have no problem with them charging for content. They have families to feed. I live in Cheyenne and subscribe to the Trib, still enjoy getting a newspaper in the morning. I don't do much of their online stuff but don't begrudge them charging for it. As for wanting for better writers for the Casper Star (I like Gags) up until this year Wyoming football hasn't exactly been a dream job for most aspiring journalists I imagine. Raise the quality of product on the field, raise the interest, and I'm sure there will be a raise in the quality of reporting as well.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

MrTitleist wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:18 pm My problem is multiple subscriptions.. like, what if I want to read WyoSports, and Trib, plus I already subscribe to Skyline Sports (supportin' my buddy Kyle), that's a lot of subscriptions to read something once or twice a week from each outlet.
I completely agree with that, but you get that with other places too. It's not just newspapers. Look at the recruiting services, for example.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

I pay for Denver Post and still have it delivered, but their website is an atrocity whose ads frequently crash my browsers, whether I'm on a computer or a tablet.

Also, auto-playing videos should be illegal - but sadly net neutrality laws are getting ripped up, so now we'll likely see them popping up as a default every time we go online as Comcast and AT&T insert them into wherever they can. In other words, even ad-free sites will soon be full of unblockable ads.
jessejames02
Ranch Hand

CowboyNV wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:07 pm I understand the ads with buying a printed edition, but there are little to no "printing" costs with an internet site. So, until I can find a newspaper that actually stops ALL ads with my subscription, I won't be buying their product.
So.... yeah. The ads don't pay for the printing. The ads pay for the writers. The online subscriptions w/out the ads wouldn't be enough money to hire even a full time reporter. The print subscriptions could maybe pay for a couple.
52-56
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

CowboyNV wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:07 pmI understand the ads with buying a printed edition, but there are little to no "printing" costs with an internet site. So, until I can find a newspaper that actually stops ALL ads with my subscription, I won't be buying their product.
Domain costs, hosting costs, upkeep costs, etc.

Just because it's free to read doesn't mean it's free for a company to create and maintain a website