Summary from the recruiting review today at CIC

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Douglaspoke
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 5 times

The recruiting process: The staff impressed on us how important the home crowds at the games were and the energy from the crowd. The Air Force, Boise State and San Diego State game were significant in recruiting. Recruits were able to see big time college atmosphere during these games. This year they virtually were able to sign in every instance their top guy and did not have to go down the line to a 2nd to 4th choice. This is by far the most thorough class. We were able to win over several new Cowboys that had Pac12 offers. 2018 class will benefit from a very large Colorado prospect list.

The Bowl Game: 10 extra practices equivalent to a second spring practice season.

Most surprised commit: Victor Jones

Juco RB: No, but the extra scholarship could go to a transfer, possible transfer RB. The staff is most comfortable with Overstreet and Michael Green.

OLINE recruits: Athleticism, grades . They are very high on Patrick Arnold at center. Smart kid. Velasquez up to 290. Velasquez will at the end of the 4 year cycle will be the biggest surprise and recuit.

Quick Hitters: CJ Coldron-Pound for pound the most athletic; Avante Cox-2.0 Austin Conway; Valaday is 6'1" now; Rudy Stofer held to his commit even though he got a late P5 push

Last Year recruits and red shirts coming this year and standing out:
Line Backers: Jamari Moore and Adrian King
Running Back: Mike Green
Parker Dumas-Think Jake Mulhardt with Dumas--mismatch with his size
Kelln Overstreet: Ahead of schedule in his recovery-Probable starting RB

Fresno State and their last ditch effort with the local Sacramento kids: Just a few days before the commit day--Apparently they produced a video to show the Sac group and compare what you can do in Fresno and what you can do socially in Laramie. The commits were turned off by the effort and commented this is more of a reason they want to attend UW located in Laramie, Wyoming.

Trolling for poaching--The Calif schools with smaller recruiting budgets and they realize that Wyoming does a great job in evaluation.

HAPC: This is a game changer. Gave the analogy of the "rise" at CU with their new facility and what this is doing with Wyoming's upgrade in recruiting. Of course winning is the key. The construction is 9 days ahead of schedule. By September of this year the outside will look "finished" and as though it is open. After the last game of the 2017 season the interior will be finished and the transition work from the RAC to HAPC with total completion in July of 2018

You want to know what a Big10 defensive player looks like-- See Javaree Jackson-
Javaree Jackson DE Wauwatosa, WI

Missing our skill guys? Receivers and Brian Hill: Sure they will be missed , but they really like CJ Johnson, James Price, Austin Conway and Okwoli--Josh Allen will be just fine with them and having Overstreet and Mike Green. Josh Allen is the constant and he is back!

Granderson: Recovery going very well and ahead of schedule.

Walk-Ons: 5 to 6 this year. They have a full squad with max numbers and walk on in numbers must fit with limits of squad size. This is a first that this limit has occurred and been reached. They like both of the Nebraska walk on.

Cowboys In Colorado: By far our biggest crowd ever. See you on June 3
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

I'm surprised Green is getting more talk than Evans or Hall
Douglaspoke
Ranch Hand

Since the discussion was more concentrated on recruits and red shirts the focus was more so on these young Cowboys.
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

Douglaspoke wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:24 pm Since the discussion was more concentrated on recruits and red shirts the focus was more so on these young Cowboys.
Hall and Green are the same class
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

wyokoke wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:05 pm I'm surprised Green is getting more talk than Evans or Hall
I'm not really. The Bohl/Vigen offense has usually been built around a bigger RB. Mike Green is 5-11, as is Overstreet. Meanwhile, Evans is 5-9 and Hall is 5-8.

The RBs were my biggest takeaway from that writeup. Good to hear that Overstreet is recovering well. I wonder if we should expect him at spring ball, or if they'd play it safe until fall camp?
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
castlerocker
Cowpoke

Most surprised commit: Victor Jones
Who was surprised?
Last edited by castlerocker on Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

joshvanklomp wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:46 pm
wyokoke wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:05 pm I'm surprised Green is getting more talk than Evans or Hall
I'm not really. The Bohl/Vigen offense has usually been built around a bigger RB. Mike Green is 5-11, as is Overstreet. Meanwhile, Evans is 5-9 and Hall is 5-8.

The RBs were my biggest takeaway from that writeup. Good to hear that Overstreet is recovering well. I wonder if we should expect him at spring ball, or if they'd play it safe until fall camp?
Fair enough, I just don't think I've heard his name since he stepped on campus and Evans has been playing (very sparingly) and Hall looked like a stud last spring. But you're right they're both little backs
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 31 times

Good stuff in this post. Thanks for posting.
ImageImageImageImage
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

wyokoke wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:25 amFair enough, I just don't think I've heard his name since he stepped on campus and Evans has been playing (very sparingly) and Hall looked like a stud last spring. But you're right they're both little backs
Usually freshmen who are redshirting don't get much press.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
WyoVaquero
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 11 times

Great write up.... I wonder who will play center and who will play right tackle next year.? I am thinking there might be some shuffling positions on the line.
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

Excellent summary. Looking forward to spring ball already.

RB development and how the defense comes together under Hazelton will be interesting to watch.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Thanks a bunch Douglaspoke.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
CodyPoke
Ranch Hand

Yes, thanks a lot Douglaspoke, this was better than a newspaper article!
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 31 times

Quick question: Who came down and talked to you guys? How many did you have in attendance?
ImageImageImageImage
Douglaspoke
Ranch Hand

Gordie Haug recruiting coordinator narrated the film presentation and Coach vernon.
Mike Levy from the Cowboy Joe Club was also in attendance. We had nearly 100 there.
Next meeting June 3.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Good to hear Granderson is on the mend. Overstreet, too.

I'm getting excited to see Mike Green in action.

Fresno trying to poach our Sacramento boys and failing is music to my ears. I'm starting to love Sacramento! Those boys look good.

Man, if Valladay is 6'1'' he could be our next Brian Hill. He is super fast and if he can get up to Brian's size he could be special. Complete back who can do it all if he can be physical like Brian.

I would like to commend Stofer for sticking with us (and everyone else who had different options, as well). We grill the ones who flip so we should heap praise on those that stay. Go, Pokes!
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:16 am Good to hear Granderson is on the mend. Overstreet, too.

Fresno trying to poach our Sacramento boys and failing is music to my ears. I'm starting to love Sacramento! Those boys look good.

Man, if Valladay is 6'1'' he could be our next Brian Hill. He is super fast and if he can get up to Brian's size he could be special. Complete back who can do it all if he can be physical like Brian.

I would like to commend Stofer for sticking with us (and everyone else who had different options, as well). We grill the ones who flip so we should heap praise on those that stay. Go, Pokes!
+1

This is something that gets lost in the shuffle sometime. A lot of these dudes have a lot of coaches making passes at them and it is commendable that a large number stick to their word and follow with with their commitment. ITs the floppers that normally get the attention but no doubt the ones who stay deserve a ton of credit.
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:16 am Good to hear Granderson is on the mend. Overstreet, too.

I lived out in Sacramento for a while. Its not that different from Wyoming:
- It has mountains - although you can't see them much of the time do to smog
- It has some big ass rivers - the Sacramento and American - its alot of water.
- It gets cold there - sometimes in the 30's - usually 45 or so in the winter.

We need to get these kids out skiing and snowmobiling and cross country skiing. Get them some trips down to Denver for the occassional nightlife. Not a bit deal.

Laramie is a great place to live. If you can succeed in Laramie - you can kick ass anywhere. Why?
- First days showing up - elevation will take its toll
- Lots of exercise - go down to sea level - now you are a monster!

Anyways - welcome aboard! I'm glad we have our new recruits here.