Josh Allen hype machine

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
LaradiseCowboy
Ranch Hand

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:38 pm Welp, this was disappointing:

https://athlonsports.com/college-footba ... kings-2017
Haa!! It has Brett Rypien above Josh Allen. Even most Boise fans will agree that Allen is better than Rypien. There's some glaring P5 bias going on in that ranking.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Last season was Joshs' first full season. Let's see how he matures & has matured this season - he already has the physical tools and ability. I believe he will be a solid top 5 QB by the end of the season.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

pokefanchaz7 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:22 pm
Asmodeanreborn wrote:Welp, this was disappointing:

What was disappointing for a top 20 outlook at qb? As a Wyo fan I love seeing anything near the top 25 as it's hard to get talent like that to Laramie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would have liked to see somebody who many consider a top 5 QB in next year's draft to be better than around #20 of 130. Yes, from a historical perspective it's awesome that we have somebody like that... but in terms of actual potential and skill level?

Then again, maybe given Josh's history of mental hiccups, this is more realistic until he proves he's elite?
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

Pretty funny that Rypien is ahead of Josh. Rypien has already maxed out his potential and Josh has just barely tapped a little bit of his. Plus all you have to do is watch the Boise st game and it's obvious who's the better QB... I highly doubt the author of the article watched any film
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 144 times

A cbs article posted on twitter by wyofootball says some scouts are calling him the next John Elway

W-Y, Until I Die!
wyoair
Ranch Hand

laxwyo wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:04 pm A cbs article posted on twitter by wyofootball says some scouts are calling him the next John Elway

Here's the article. That surprised me too. Pretty heafty comparison.

http://cbsprt.co/2o8u6pi
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

I gotta admit, that comparison came to my mind recently....
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Damn.... those are huge shoes to fill....
gopokes1399
Blog Team

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:38 pm
pokefanchaz7 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:22 pm
Asmodeanreborn wrote:Welp, this was disappointing:

What was disappointing for a top 20 outlook at qb? As a Wyo fan I love seeing anything near the top 25 as it's hard to get talent like that to Laramie.

I would have liked to see somebody who many consider a top 5 QB in next year's draft to be better than around #20 of 130. Yes, from a historical perspective it's awesome that we have somebody like that... but in terms of actual potential and skill level?

Then again, maybe given Josh's history of mental hiccups, this is more realistic until he proves he's elite?

The other thing about this list is it is the best college QB's not NFL prospects. Hence why Lamar Jackson is number 1. Allen started for 1 year and has as much talent as anyone in the country but did have some ups and downs and his stats aren't out of this world. If the author hasn't actually seen him play he wouldn't get it
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Josh finished 2016 with a 56% completion percentage and a 2:1 TD/INT ratio. He has the upside to be elite at the NFL level, but let's not kid ourselves. He has some work to do and will have little returning experience on offense to do it with. There is a challenge ahead of him.

Good news is all indications are this hype isn't going to his head. He knows he's not a finished product.
Last edited by J-Rod on Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

laxwyo wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:04 pm A cbs article posted on twitter by wyofootball says some scouts are calling him the next John Elway

So Josh is gonna be an asshole???
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

I sure hope it's gonna "almost" as fun, but I can see growing pains this year, sorry, we'll see, glad he's not pigeontoed, lol
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

WestWYOPoke wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:46 am

So Josh is gonna be an asshole???
+ 1000

Do you mean like not tipping anyone more than 12 percent ever, even though you're the biggest douche in the history of food/beverage service....

or

Like whipping out your dick and pissing all over a valets legs because he won't give your drunk ass the keys to your car....

or

Getting 86'd from a certain strip club because "Keep your hands to yourself" doesn't apply to John Elways thumb and some strippers anus?
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 105 times

There really needs to be a Josh Allen Heisman campaign. Remember when we did that with Marcus Harris?
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

LaradiseCowboy wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:07 pm
Asmodeanreborn wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:38 pm Welp, this was disappointing:

Haa!! It has Brett Rypien above Josh Allen. Even most Boise fans will agree that Allen is better than Rypien. There's some glaring P5 bias going on in that ranking.
From a pure skill and physical attributes perspective, I don't think there is anyone in the college football better than Josh. Decision making and stats/results are what is hurting his rankings. He'll prove who he is this fall.
Poke-proud
Cowpoke

It'll be interesting to see what impact not having Hill, Gentry will do. Hill was huge in helping "carry the load" offensively and Gentry made some unbelievable catches that were difference makers in games. Physically Josh is very gifted - we'll see what help he has in the fall.

joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Potential is through the roof due to his physical tools and can get him drafted fairly high. Sadly, there's also a chance of bottoming out once he gets to the league if he doesn't develop past just being a guy with physical tools.

I really hate to say it, but I'm reminded of a MWC QB (edit: wasn't in the MWC at the time, oops) from the past decade who had ridiculous physical tools and high potential but ended up bottoming out pretty quickly....not drawing comparisons between them as players, just pointing it out as a cautionary tale of what can happen without developing.

I like Josh's odds better though....
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

joshvanklomp wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:13 am I really hate to say it, but I'm reminded of a MWC QB (edit: wasn't in the MWC at the time, oops) from the past decade who had ridiculous physical tools and high potential but ended up bottoming out pretty quickly....not drawing comparisons between them as players, just pointing it out as a cautionary tale of what can happen without developing.

...Colin Kaepernick? Ooohhh that's a quality comparison, one I had not that of, but it fits.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

J-Rod wrote:
joshvanklomp wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:13 am I really hate to say it, but I'm reminded of a MWC QB (edit: wasn't in the MWC at the time, oops) from the past decade who had ridiculous physical tools and high potential but ended up bottoming out pretty quickly....not drawing comparisons between them as players, just pointing it out as a cautionary tale of what can happen without developing.

...Colin Kaepernick? Ooohhh that's a quality comparison, one I had not that of, but it fits.
I think that's a bad comparison, Kaepernick was athletic but played under a pistol offense not as bad as a spread but not as developed as a pro style. He also didn't fizzle out in the NFL as much as lost all the key players that made them a superbowl team and is now sitting behind a poop show of offensive players.

Kaepernick was the fall guy have to blame it on someone might as well use him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

A Kap comparison would mean that Josh Allen will be a starting Super Bowl QB one day. I'll take that.