Why is the Big 12 not expanding? Something don't sound

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
CheyenneGunslinger
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time

right about that situation.
wyoair
Ranch Hand

Thinking maybe it's days are numbered after the current tv deal is done with Texas and OU looking at greener pastures?
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

wyoair wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:28 am Thinking maybe it's days are numbered after the current tv deal is done with Texas and OU looking at greener pastures?
This. Longhorn Network killed it. They'll split to SEC, PAC, B1G or indy. Adding more teams doesn't mean more money either if they don't bring a decent share to the table and have to cut the pie into more pieces. That's why they never added more last year
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

I'm curious to see what happens at that point. Teams Like Kansas, Kansas State, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, etc may not immidiatly find a home as they don't add drastically to any one market. The big 12 may dissolve without Oklahoma and Texas at the helm and then that leaves a lot of intrigue into what happens to all the rest.
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

pokefanchaz7 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:47 am I'm curious to see what happens at that point. Teams Like Kansas, Kansas State, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, etc may not immidiatly find a home as they don't add drastically to any one market. The big 12 may dissolve without Oklahoma and Texas at the helm and then that leaves a lot of intrigue into what happens to all the rest.
OSU and OU have enough ties that they'll end up the same place. I believe Tech is the same way with UT. But teams like the Kansas teams, Iowa State, West Virginia could just get left out in the cold
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

I could see OU and OSU ending up in the Big Ten some day. They have that Big Ten mindset to an extent. Both schools have great wrestling programs (which would suck for us if they left), obviously both have good football programs and they occasionally are strong in basketball. The biggest reason I see them NOT going is that neither is a member of the AAU, every Big Ten school except for Nebraska is in the AAU.
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

WestWYOPoke wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:41 pm I could see OU and OSU ending up in the Big Ten some day. They have that Big Ten mindset to an extent. Both schools have great wrestling programs (which would suck for us if they left), obviously both have good football programs and they occasionally are strong in basketball. The biggest reason I see them NOT going is that neither is a member of the AAU, every Big Ten school except for Nebraska is in the AAU.
I think you've got a point, but I've seen more with the SEC or PAC-12/14/16/whatever than the Big 10, for the Oklahoma schools anyway
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

My. $0.02 since I live in hell aka Oklahoma...

OU fans want them to go to the SEC (which would work well for OU since they love to cheat)

OSU would be better off in the PAC-XX but the morons at the State Capitol will make sure both schools stay together.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
wyoair
Ranch Hand

My guess as to the leftovers of the Big XII who aren't in the Big Ten end up being absorbed in C-USA and the AAC. Of course the AAC did just add Wichita State.
CheyenneGunslinger
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time

wyokoke wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:50 am
pokefanchaz7 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:47 am I'm curious to see what happens at that point. Teams Like Kansas, Kansas State, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, etc may not immidiatly find a home as they don't add drastically to any one market. The big 12 may dissolve without Oklahoma and Texas at the helm and then that leaves a lot of intrigue into what happens to all the rest.
OSU and OU have enough ties that they'll end up the same place. I believe Tech is the same way with UT. But teams like the Kansas teams, Iowa State, West Virginia could just get left out in the cold
I was surprised when the ACC didn't take West Virginia a few years back. If the Big 12 were to dissolve then WV would have no place to go except maybe the AAC.
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

Because the TV revenue bubble is bursting. The next round of contracts could very well be lower than they are now. You wouldn't want to shrink your chunk of the pie anymore.!
WyoExpat
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

WestWYOPoke wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:41 pm I could see OU and OSU ending up in the Big Ten some day. They have that Big Ten mindset to an extent. Both schools have great wrestling programs (which would suck for us if they left), obviously both have good football programs and they occasionally are strong in basketball. The biggest reason I see them NOT going is that neither is a member of the AAU, every Big Ten school except for Nebraska is in the AAU.
I can't imagine OSU is close enough to the Big Ten academic standards to merit consideration. I don't know about OU either, but Nebraska was able to catch up close enough to the Big Ten to get in.

In my mind, UT-Austin, and maybe Kansas, are the only two real Big Ten-type schools left in the Big XII and Kansas doesn't bring much football to the table, so they are probably a 'nope'.
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

WyoExpat wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:42 pm
I can't imagine OSU is close enough to the Big Ten academic standards to merit consideration. I don't know about OU either, but Nebraska was able to catch up close enough to the Big Ten to get in.

In my mind, UT-Austin, and maybe Kansas, are the only two real Big Ten-type schools left in the Big XII and Kansas doesn't bring much football to the table, so they are probably a 'nope'.
I agree, I think the Oklahoma schools are more likely to the SEC or PAC XX than the B1G
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

wyokoke wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:24 pm
WyoExpat wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:42 pm

I agree, I think the Oklahoma schools are more likely to the SEC or PAC XX than the B1G
Same here. I can't see OU joining the Big 10 at all. Never mind Okie State. :roll:
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

WyoExpat wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:42 pmIn my mind, UT-Austin, and maybe Kansas, are the only two real Big Ten-type schools left in the Big XII and Kansas doesn't bring much football to the table, so they are probably a 'nope'.
Depends if they have any interest in the Kansas City market. Rutgers didn't have much football (or any sports) to bring to the table, but had the market. Not comparing NYC and KC, but just pointing out that markets can be a big driving force for realignment discussions. And Kansas certainly can add to the conference's depth in basketball.

And bordering the Big Ten footprint aren't too many more big-time markets that seem realistic to add.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
WyoExpat
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

The thing with the BIG is that it looks harder at academics than other conferences do. The BIG has decided that it can, in fact, both have its cake and eat it too. The Big XII and the SEC exist for schools like OU and Okie State to hang out in. Just like the WAC and the MW exist so that our 12,000-student "big state u" can "play at the same level" as the 30,000+ big state universities in the bigger states that fill 80,000-seat stadiums weekly.