Just for curiosity, how did the beer song become a U. of Wyoming tradition?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
CheyenneGunslinger
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time

I really like the song ,btw, and think it is cool in the videos I've seen on Youtube.

Thanks in advance.
GoCowPokes
Buckaroo

The band did not play the beer song in the 80's. For older fans, it is a nice addition to the atmosphere of the games.
Lost Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 15 times

The beer song started in the early '80's. It may have been when Eddie Smith took over in '82. Each section of the band had their own song. The tubas played wipeout, and the trombones played the beer song. I can't remember what the other sections may have played.

The trombones and tubas kept playing their songs through 1995, I think. When Dr. Belser took over, then the whole band started playing the beer song.
CheyenneGunslinger
Ranch Hand

Lost Poke wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:32 pm The beer song started in the early '80's. It may have been when Eddie Smith took over in '82. Each section of the band had their own song. The tubas played wipeout, and the trombones played the beer song. I can't remember what the other sections may have played.

The trombones and tubas kept playing their songs through 1995, I think. When Dr. Belser took over, then the whole band started playing the beer song.
Well, like I said, it's a cool tradition.
GoPokes86
Cowpoke
Been liked: 10 times

I think it actually came around after playing Iowa in the Holiday Bowl. There was an interview with Dr. Belser a few years ago in one of the University publications that went in depth about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lost Poke
Cowpoke

GoPokes86 wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:00 pm I think it actually came around after playing Iowa in the Holiday Bowl. There was an interview with Dr. Belser a few years ago in one of the University publications that went in depth about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It is true that Iowa had the beer song as a tradition well before we played it. But the trombones were playing it the fall of my freshman year, for sure, and we went to the Holiday Bowl to play Iowa that December. I remember them playing it in the stands when I was in high school, but can't put a specific start date on it.

I'd love to see that article, by the way!
Lost Poke
Cowpoke

Maybe it was 1985. That was Eddie Smith's first year at UW. Bob Mayes was in charge, followed by Dennis Hopkins, prior to that in the '80s.
Wyolie Coyote
Cowpoke

Lost Poke wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:32 pm The beer song started in the early '80's. It may have been when Eddie Smith took over in '82. Each section of the band had their own song. The tubas played wipeout, and the trombones played the beer song. I can't remember what the other sections may have played.

I am guessing it was before the advent of a obnoxious DJ overtaking the musical entertainment. Miss the band actually being able to provide in game music.