Spring Game Thoughts?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

wyoair wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:29 pm
Cowboy Junky wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:26 pm
LaradiseCowboy wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:23 pm
Cowboy Junky wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:13 pm
LaradiseCowboy wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:11 pm
Cowboy Junky wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:38 pm
LaradiseCowboy wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:40 pm
Adv8RU12 wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:54 pm
LaradiseCowboy wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:15 am There was an emphasis for Josh Allen to increase his completion percentage
This is where the pre-season hype is misleading. It's the same Allen of last year. What's missing are the great receivers. Josh will have to be spot-on on every pass to look as good as last year. We known that's unlikely to happen.
Exactly, I think we need to be critical of it now and not let our expectations get too high or we could be in for a major disappointment. The fact is the passing game is not where it needs to be. With the 2015 season in mind, we all know how important it is to be able to pass to have a well-balanced offense.

I'm glad the defense is showing signs of improvement (defense wins championships), but I guarantee we will face bigger, faster, and stronger defenses throughout the season than our own. If we can't score on ours we won't be able to score on theirs.
No one really gives a f-word what you think, you BYU douche bag. Go back to your own board, or post under your other Wyonation sock puppet: Cheyenne Gunslinger.

You registered on this board 1 week before you did on the MWCboard, November 15 of last year, the same time when it was pretty apparent Wyoming was going to the Poinsettia bowl to play BYU.

Get lost douche bag.
Lol...sometimes you say the most ridiculous things man. Apparently since I have to explain myself, I wasn't aware that either forums even existed until around that time. Don't be mad because I've been stealing your thunder on the MWCboard. I'm here to stay unless the mods deem I've done something to violate board rules (which I haven't). So deal with it.
I will. I'll just make sure to call you out as the sock puppet you are, every time you post anything "BYU'ish".
What exactly have I said that's "BYUish" haha?! What, because I wasn't head over heels with the results of the spring game and I thought our offense could have performed better?
Who cares what you say? You're a BYU fan under any handle. Why should I tolerate your b.s. on the Wyoming board under either of your dumb ass handles. You/CheyenneGunslinger/and any of your other split personalities can eat a bag of dicks.
What was everyone's first image either the bag of dicks all jumbled in a Walmart plastic bag or in siting upright in a paper sack like French baguettes? :rofl:
For a BYU fan, I'm guessing in a paper sack like French Baguettes.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Can't read too much into spring games, but you'd rather the defense dominate than the offense. If the offense is dominating even though the defense knows exactly what is coming, you've got issues.

That said, there might be some growing pains early on for the offense. Hill, Gentry, etc. were good players.

Back-to-back bowls. Think and dream big, but ultimately remember the baseline goal is back-to-back bowls for the first time in almost 30 years.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

J-Rod wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:05 pm Can't read too much into spring games, but you'd rather the defense dominate than the offense. If the offense is dominating even though the defense knows exactly what is coming, you've got issues.

That said, there might be some growing pains early on for the offense. Hill, Gentry, etc. were good players.

Back-to-back bowls. Think and dream big, but ultimately remember the baseline goal is back-to-back bowls for the first time in almost 30 years.
Those years he's talking about was the 1987 & 1988 WAC Championship seasons where the WAC meant Wyoming's Athletic Conference!
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
Lost Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 15 times

Wyokie wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:12 pm
J-Rod wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:05 pm Can't read too much into spring games, but you'd rather the defense dominate than the offense. If the offense is dominating even though the defense knows exactly what is coming, you've got issues.

Those years he's talking about was the 1987 & 1988 WAC Championship seasons where the WAC meant Wyoming's Athletic Conference!
And only 2 or 3 teams a year, sometimes only 1, got bowl bids.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times

was out of the the country in Puerto Vallarta, MX last week, very fun and a must visit!!!! saw the highlights or lack there of of a 3-0 spring game, glad to hear the D is on, but 3 points Mr. NFL Josh musta had a bad day, hopefully we have one heck of a fall camp and can beat the Hawkeyes!!!!
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

Josh may struggle this year without the phenomenal hands that Tanner provided. Think of all the absolutely spectacular catches that Gentry had last year. Now think about how they wouldn't have to be so amazing if Josh wasn't just a bit more accurate.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

J-Rod is right - if the offense dominates the defense in the spring, then the defense has big problems. I'm not worried about our offense for this season.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

WYCowboy wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:51 am J-Rod is right - if the offense dominates the defense in the spring, then the defense has big problems. I'm not worried about our offense for this season.
Hope you're right
HomeOnTheRange
Buckaroo
Been liked: 2 times

I think we will miss Roullier more than anyone else on offense. IMO the big issue with the offense is gonna be its ability to protect Josh.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

For those who were there, how many of Josh's incompletions were the result of the receiver not being able to handle Josh's 150 mph fastballs? If he was on target with a lot of those and it's just that they're not used to his zip yet, then I'd worry a lot less too.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:51 am For those who were there, how many of Josh's incompletions were the result of the receiver not being able to handle Josh's 150 mph fastballs? If he was on target with a lot of those and it's just that they're not used to his zip yet, then I'd worry a lot less too.
wiley wapiti wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:25 amThe dropped balls are concerning from all the receivers, I would be willing to bet 10+ balls hit the ground after hitting the receiver in the hands.
wyoair
Ranch Hand

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:51 am For those who were there, how many of Josh's incompletions were the result of the receiver not being able to handle Josh's 150 mph fastballs? If he was on target with a lot of those and it's just that they're not used to his zip yet, then I'd worry a lot less too.
CJ had one up the middle that he had dropped, granted Josh could have let up on the throw but still a very catchable ball. I sat on the east side and James had at least two that hit his hands on my side that he should have and he wasn't 10-15 yards away from Josh, more like 25-30 yards. Our offense will greatly depend on our wide receivers hands. What was so great about last years group, Tanner especially, wasn't their blazing speed but their precise route running and they caught nearly everything their got their hands on.
NebraskaCowboy
Ranch Hand

WYO1016 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:32 am Josh may struggle this year without the phenomenal hands that Tanner provided. Think of all the absolutely spectacular catches that Gentry had last year. Now think about how they wouldn't have to be so amazing if Josh wasn't just a bit more accurate.
You have to look at it on the other side though. How many of those balls would've been intercepted had they been in a different location? I went and looked at that throw against Boise State and he put that exactly where needed on the run. Not every throw has to be perfect, your WRs gotta be playmakers sometimes.
wiley wapiti
Ranch Hand

WYO1016 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:03 pm
wiley wapiti wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:25 amThe dropped balls are concerning from all the receivers, I would be willing to bet 10+ balls hit the ground after hitting the receiver in the hands.
Now don't get me wrong...those 10+ balls that hit the ground were from both offenses. I would also say Josh was not real accurate on Saturday, but I'm not sure if it was timing issues or Josh being inaccurate. He had several shots down field and up the sidelines plays that he missed by 3-5 yrds over throwing the receiver. To me, it looked as if Josh was trying too hard to rifle passes into small windows instead of passing with touch to a spot and letting his receiver run under it. Chemistry, route running and separation all looked to be way behind...
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

Bohl says we're ahead of where he thought we could be and I believe him. Not sure where he thought we'd be though, lol. Last year he said the Calvary was coming and for the most part it did. Bohl saying we're ahead helps me relax some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
W-Y, Until I Die!
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

The nice thing is, if the defense is improved, it would hopefully allow a little room for offensive regression without taking a major step back.

We might not improve on our nonconference record. I'm not going to predict wins against either Iowa or Oregon at this point. We were 4-1 against a tough Mountain Division last year.....can we do that again?
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

joshvanklomp wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:44 pm The nice thing is, if the defense is improved, it would hopefully allow a little room for offensive regression without taking a major step back.

We might not improve on our nonconference record. I'm not going to predict wins against either Iowa or Oregon at this point. We were 4-1 against a tough Mountain Division last year.....can we do that again?
No SDSU in cross divisional matchups. That helps. Boise State is the only team in the conference slate that's likely to be a 9+ win team, that is unless you're drinking the CSU kool aid. UNM is what they've always been and Bohl ending his losing streak to the Lobos comes down to the defense's progression with that option.

Utah State and Air Force lose a tremendous amount of talent. Knock on wood, but I'd be shocked to see Wyo drop either of those games.

Fresno and San Jose will have raw talent, but are several years away from being a real threat.

Hawaii has the offense to keep up, thankfully UW gets them in Laramie.

It's not crazy to think 1-2 conference losses are in play. But again, this is the off-season of knocking on wood. Wyo fans have been bitten by disappointment after a solid season one too many times to assume anything is a sure thing. Anything from 7-5 to 9-3 feels likely, with 10-2/11-1 being the extreme (everything went right) positive scenario, 6-6 being the (everything definitely didn't go right) terrible scenario.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

J-Rod wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:05 pmBack-to-back bowls. Think and dream big, but ultimately remember the baseline goal is back-to-back bowls for the first time in almost 30 years.
That's crazy to me, especially when I look back and see four consecutive 7-win seasons in the late 90s. I guess that goes to show how much the bowl landscape has changed.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times

joshvanklomp wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:45 pm
J-Rod wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:05 pmBack-to-back bowls. Think and dream big, but ultimately remember the baseline goal is back-to-back bowls for the first time in almost 30 years.
That's crazy to me, especially when I look back and see four consecutive 7-win seasons in the late 90s. I guess that goes to show how much the bowl landscape has changed.
For those wondering....

1996: 10-2 and a appearance in the 1st WAC Championship vs. we-all-know-who.
1997: 8-5 (actually 7-6 but the Colorado loss became a win due to forfeit - ineligible player for the Buffs)
1998: 8-3
1999: 7-4

Then...16 years of pure hell..... :roll:
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times

HomeOnTheRange wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:06 am I think we will miss Roullier more than anyone else on offense. IMO the big issue with the offense is gonna be its ability to protect Josh.
key to everything, protect your QB for the most part the O should run great, I'm still on the fence, I really think losing BHill is really our factor that's gonna come back and bite us, hope I'm wrong, I wanna go to Kinnick over Labor day weekend and beat a "big time" school in a "big time" program for a change and I wanna be there!!!!!!! which I will someday, still kicking myself for not going to Knoxville and the Tennessee win, I went to the TCU debacle in Ft Worth the week prior, ugh