Spring Game Thoughts?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
WyomingAg
A Real Cowboy

Anyone go to the spring game that can share some thoughts for those of us out of state?
wyocowboy2014
A Real Cowboy

Josh didn't look great. Defense looked good. Final score was 3-0, so that says a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

wyocowboy2014 wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:30 pm Josh didn't look great. Defense looked good. Final score was 3-0, so that says a lot.

+1. Offense looked like dog crap. Defense looked like the '85 bears, 1st and second team.

Milo Hall had a good run. Davion Freeman ran a kickoff back, but was called back. Davion is super fast. John Okwolia had a good catch and I think he will be a player for us.

Overall I was pleased with the d, obviously. Offense was baaaaad. I hope that we aren't going to miss B. Hill, Gentry, Mulhardt and Hollister as much as it looked today in the fall. Someone needs to step up.
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
Vapoke
Cowpoke

The week before the offense dominated the D. Bohl said this is the spring game he is accustomed to. I actually think our offense can be more dangerous with more people instead of the Big 3 we were used to.
LaradiseCowboy
Ranch Hand

I think it's pretty evident that our passing game took a dramatic hit with the loss of Gentry, Hollister, and Malhaurdt. There was an emphasis for Josh Allen to increase his completion percentage and develop chemistry with the younger receiving corps in the offseason, but he went 10 for 26 in the spring game. That's pretty awful tbh. He acknowledged it as well after the scrimmage. I really hope that gets cleaned up prior to the start of the season or we may be looking at a lackluster offense in 2017.
wiley wapiti
Ranch Hand

To be fair we were missing several starters on the Oline, but they were bad. Our first D had their way with our Oline and Josh didn't have much time to set his feet. When he did have a little time our receivers struggled to get separations and the timing seemed to be an issue at times. Now to be fair again, our DBs looked quick, fast and very comfortable. It could be they know the plays, but I really hope its just maturation of those young DBs.

I came away very under impressed with our offense, but very impressed with our defense. Its been a long time since our spring game was dominated by both defenses like it was yesterday. Our offense will be fine if the Oline comes together with those that sat out. Also, another point, we were missing Conway in the slot. He will cause matchup problems we didn't have yesterday. The dropped balls are concerning from all the receivers, I would be willing to bet 10+ balls hit the ground after hitting the receiver in the hands. This is what spring ball is for, and I hope Josh and the receivers spend the summer working on things. The chemistry is just not there yet.

Running backs will be fine, if the Oline gets better. Im not real sure B Hill would have done much better, but maybe he would have. What I saw....when our Oline did create a hole our backs would find it quickly, but our D was actually in place to fill the hole from the next level. This is almost the opposite of last years D. Last year, if there was a hole in the Line, nobody was there at the next level to fill, but yesterday there was always someone there. It was obvious our Oline was over matched yesterday.

It was painful to watch at times if you wanted to see offensive, but you have to be impressed with the growth of our defense. We will struggle this year if we don't see improved Oline and receiver play, we will be better than last year if our Oline and receiver play equals or exceeds last year.

Oh...and one another note, if Davion Freeman and Conway are not our returners, something is wrong. Freeman can fly and is scary when he touches the ball.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Might be our new DC made a lot of difference - and, speed all over on D.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

LaradiseCowboy wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:15 am There was an emphasis for Josh Allen to increase his completion percentage
This is where the pre-season hype is misleading. It's the same Allen of last year. What's missing are the great receivers. Josh will have to be spot-on on every pass to look as good as last year. We known that's unlikely to happen.
LaradiseCowboy
Ranch Hand

Adv8RU12 wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:54 pm
LaradiseCowboy wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:15 am There was an emphasis for Josh Allen to increase his completion percentage
This is where the pre-season hype is misleading. It's the same Allen of last year. What's missing are the great receivers. Josh will have to be spot-on on every pass to look as good as last year. We known that's unlikely to happen.
Exactly, I think we need to be critical of it now and not let our expectations get too high or we could be in for a major disappointment. The fact is the passing game is not where it needs to be. With the 2015 season in mind, we all know how important it is to be able to pass to have a well-balanced offense.

I'm glad the defense is showing signs of improvement (defense wins championships), but I guarantee we will face bigger, faster, and stronger defenses throughout the season than our own. If we can't score on ours we won't be able to score on theirs.
Last edited by LaradiseCowboy on Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

After mulling it for a day I think we are going to take a big step back on offense. I just have this bad feeling that won't go away. Hopefully the d takes a big step forward and we can defend our division
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 144 times

I'm not going get too crazy about the spring game. Still have summer workouts and fall camp before I'll get worried.

W-Y, Until I Die!
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

LaradiseCowboy wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:40 pm
Exactly, I think we need to be critical of it now and not let our expectations get too high or we could be in for a major disappointment. The fact is the passing game is not where it needs to be. With the 2015 season in mind, we all know how important it is to be able to pass to have a well-balanced offense.

I'm glad the defense is showing signs of improvement (defense wins championships), but I guarantee we will face bigger, faster, and stronger defenses throughout the season than our own. If we can't score on ours we won't be able to score on theirs.
No one really gives a f-word what you think, you BYU douche bag. Go back to your own board, or post under your other Wyonation sock puppet: Cheyenne Gunslinger.

You registered on this board 1 week before you did on the MWCboard, November 15 of last year, the same time when it was pretty apparent Wyoming was going to the Poinsettia bowl to play BYU.

Get lost douche bag.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
LaradiseCowboy
Ranch Hand

Cowboy Junky wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:38 pm

No one really gives a f-word what you think, you BYU douche bag. Go back to your own board, or post under your other Wyonation sock puppet: Cheyenne Gunslinger.

You registered on this board 1 week before you did on the MWCboard, November 15 of last year, the same time when it was pretty apparent Wyoming was going to the Poinsettia bowl to play BYU.

Get lost douche bag.
Lol...sometimes you say the most ridiculous things man. Apparently since I have to explain myself, I wasn't aware that either forums even existed until around that time. Don't be mad because I've been stealing your thunder on the MWCboard. I'm here to stay unless the mods deem I've done something to violate board rules (which I haven't). So deal with it.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

LaradiseCowboy wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:11 pm

Get lost douche bag.
Lol...sometimes you say the most ridiculous things man. Apparently since I have to explain myself, I wasn't aware that either forums even existed until around that time. Don't be mad because I've been stealing your thunder on the MWCboard. I'm here to stay unless the mods deem I've done something to violate board rules (which I haven't). So deal with it.
I will. I'll just make sure to call you out as the sock puppet you are, every time you post anything "BYU'ish".

National Champions 1943.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

I do.
LaradiseCowboy
Ranch Hand

Cowboy Junky wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:13 pm

Get lost douche bag.
I will. I'll just make sure to call you out as the sock puppet you are, every time you post anything "BYU'ish".
What exactly have I said that's "BYUish" haha?! What, because I wasn't head over heels with the results of the spring game and I thought our offense could have performed better?
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

LaradiseCowboy wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:23 pm

Get lost douche bag.
What exactly have I said that's "BYUish" haha?! What, because I wasn't head over heels with the results of the spring game and I thought our offense could have performed better?
Who cares what you say? You're a BYU fan under any handle. Why should I tolerate your b.s. on the Wyoming board under either of your dumb ass handles. You/CheyenneGunslinger/and any of your other split personalities can eat a bag of dicks.

National Champions 1943.

I do.
LaradiseCowboy
Ranch Hand

Yeah I'm definitely not CheyenneGunslinger either lol. Just a Wyoming alum that follows the thread to stay up to date with the team because I'm not even in the same country! How many times have you ran the boot or fired the cannon? I went to almost every home game while in school so...yeah I'm definitely not a "sock puppet".
LaradiseCowboy
Ranch Hand

What would I know that a BYU fan wouldn't know? Hmmm...how about the pep rally prior the New Mexico Bowl was at the Dirty Bourbon in Albuquerque, NM? The entire saloon was packed with Cowboy fans and the staff mentioned that it was the best party they had ever hosted. BINGO!! No BYU fan would have been caught dead there. Anything else?
wyoair
Ranch Hand

Cowboy Junky wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:26 pm
LaradiseCowboy wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:23 pm

Get lost douche bag.
Who cares what you say? You're a BYU fan under any handle. Why should I tolerate your b.s. on the Wyoming board under either of your dumb ass handles. You/CheyenneGunslinger/and any of your other split personalities can eat a bag of dicks.
What was everyone's first image either the bag of dicks all jumbled in a Walmart plastic bag or in siting upright in a paper sack like French baguettes? :rofl: