UW proposed budget to cut $1,000,000 from athletics...

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

I can't imagine a fiber build out would be obsoleted to quickly. Perhaps if some new wireless spectrum opened up - but i doubt it.

They can usually switch out the lasers on the fiber and increase bandwidth significantly. New lasers are always coming out using different wavelengths on the spectrum. Fibre put in 10 or 15 years ago should be upgradable for at least another 40-50 years. And at that point, as long as it is working, 100Tbps to the house should be fine :)

I'd think a small town like Meeteetse, Lander, Sheridan, and such would be good candidates for this sort of thing. There are so many people that work remotely anymore and enjoy the outdoors, that this sort of investment would easily add 6 figure jobs to the tax base, while not adding a bunch of traffic for commuting/etc.

I've off again on again brainstormed about buying 50 acres of land, putting a central campus on it (offices, shared conference spaces, high speed data, telephone, shared secretary), and subdividing the rest of it up as housing for rent/sale to try to attract some of these people. There is just too much unknown in it for me though. Put it in a nice area by a creek and the mountains. It could be very attractive for remote workers.
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

To add onto WyobrandX, worrying about a fiber optic buildout becoming obsolete when large portions of the state are still 15 or more years behind the curve seems like an unnecessary concern.

I think a fiber optic infrastructure investment from the state would be game-changing for the future of Wyomings economy.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

It's definitely a good base to build on. I tried to get something going on this about 20 years ago and no one was interested.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

WyoBrandX wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:53 pm I can't imagine a fiber build out would be obsoleted to quickly. Perhaps if some new wireless spectrum opened up - but i doubt it.
This is kind of part of it - a form of quantum networking that's similar to wireless. Futurology? Maybe - but there's a lot of crazy experiments going on right now. Some semi-outdated information: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_complex_network

But yeah, experiment to viable end product is generally a long time apart.
elfletcho
Ranch Hand

TCT West in the big horn basin has had fiber internet/tv for over ten years. I remember being on dsl in Laramie and visitng my grandparents in Ten Sleep and using that fire-hose of an internet connection. It was like traveling in time to the future. I think the company is upgrading to 1 Gig services now.
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

WYCowboy wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:57 am It's definitely a good base to build on. I tried to get something going on this about 20 years ago and no one was interested.
What sort of thing were you trying to get going?
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

WyoBrandX wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:38 pm
WYCowboy wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:57 am It's definitely a good base to build on. I tried to get something going on this about 20 years ago and no one was interested.
What sort of thing were you trying to get going?
High speed internet. A major fiber cable was going right through here with provisions for drop-off, and I was trying to get our city & county people to talk to this company about getting access to it. They didn't even want to listen to me. I had inside connections to the company with the fiber cable - that is all I will say about it.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.