UW proposed budget to cut $1,000,000 from athletics...

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 300 times
Been liked: 119 times

Or, 8.3% of the current budget. Shall be interesting to see the reactionary process unfold...although I am sure the department saw it coming. Beer sales for one will help the cause. I would bet there is some fat going to be trimmed as well.

"CASPER, Wyo. (AP) — Details of a proposed University of Wyoming budget plan may eliminate more than 40 jobs in an attempt to cut over $10 million.

The budget proposal will be presented to the UW Board of Trustees later this week.

In November, the board approved a blueprint of the strategy to tackle a $41 million reduction in state funding in the wake of the economic downturn.

The Outreach School and UW athletics are set to lose the largest percentage of their funding under the plan. UW’s athletic department would lose just over $1 million, or 8.3 percent of its budget.

The Outreach School, which officials said will be dismantled and its duties assimilated into other parts of campus, would see a $500,000 cut."
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 226 times

The athletic department submitted its own proposed budget cut and it was adopted.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 142 times

So that and the matching funds means we're down quite a bit now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
W-Y, Until I Die!
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

What % of the athletic budget is self-funded, meaning that the AD generates the revenue to pay their own bills? I know there's matching funds for CJC donations that come from the state, but I guess I was unaware of how much state money is needed for athletics expenses. If UW athletics can cover their expenses with their own revenue, this requested budget cut doesn't make sense...

7th home FB game, increased fan support, and alcohol sales make me believe an increase in revenue close to $1 million is possible.

And unless we have some type of donor giving us money to NOT have a corporate sponsorship for naming rights on facilities, I don't get why we're not actively searching for that potential revenue source...
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

cali2wyo wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 3:57 pm If UW athletics can cover their expenses with their own revenue, this requested budget cut doesn't make sense...
The Wyoming athletic department has never drew more from revenues to funds operations than its budget. (Most big donor dollars have gone to capital improvements - i.e. HAPC)
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

cali2wyo wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 3:57 pm And unless we have some type of donor giving us money to NOT have a corporate sponsorship for naming rights on facilities, I don't get why we're not actively searching for that potential revenue source...
McMurry will be the name for HAPC similar to the Maury Brown Court for basketball.
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

Unfortunately it has to be done until we can find more state funds

C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

pokefanchaz7 wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 4:20 pm Unfortunately it has to be done until we can find more state funds

Is the state still really stubborn about not trying to find new revenue streams (I don't really follow Wyoming politics)? It always seemed to me that there's an insane amount of untapped potential in the state in general. Lots of hard-working people with an entrepreneurial spirit, but then it always just comes back to backing coal and oil.
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

They are pretty stubborn about finding new revenue streams but they really have to if Wyoming is going to survive

C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Been liked: 2 times

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 6:40 pm
pokefanchaz7 wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 4:20 pm Unfortunately it has to be done until we can find more state funds

Is the state still really stubborn about not trying to find new revenue streams (I don't really follow Wyoming politics)? It always seemed to me that there's an insane amount of untapped potential in the state in general. Lots of hard-working people with an entrepreneurial spirit, but then it always just comes back to backing coal and oil.
I know. And so many high school and university graduates leave the state because those are the only kinds of jobs offered. While working at McDonald's or mining coal is okay for working through school, how many people leave because they want a different job?
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

I left because the company I worked for wanted me in Colorado and paid moving costs + bonus, and because all other software employers around Laramie (there were maybe 2 at the time?) didn't even want to pay half of market value in salary but expected people to average like 60-80 hours a week. A couple of my friends (who actually grew up in Laramie) took a similar career path after turning down terrible Laramie employers.

That said, Sierra Trading Post in Cheyenne appears to be a decent place to work, from what I hear.
LaradiseCowboy
Ranch Hand

In light of the bad news, here's something to be hopeful about.
https://twitter.com/wyoathletics/status ... 9084862464
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 104 times

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 8:14 pm I left because the company I worked for wanted me in Colorado and paid moving costs + bonus, and because all other software employers around Laramie (there were maybe 2 at the time?) didn't even want to pay half of market value in salary but expected people to average like 60-80 hours a week. A couple of my friends (who actually grew up in Laramie) took a similar career path after turning down terrible Laramie employers.

That said, Sierra Trading Post in Cheyenne appears to be a decent place to work, from what I hear.
Sierra got bought out, though. They're laying off a ton of staff in Cheyenne. Word on the street is that they're going to be shutting down operations here and moving elsewhere.
wyoair
Ranch Hand

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 6:40 pm

My wife is a teacher in Casper and is very active at the state and local level for WEA and NCEA and was at the budget session as usual lobbying for educational funds to remain the same (which didn't pan out) and as such as able to listen to the budget session. Many revenue generating strategies were brought up (by newer or recently elected officials) including increasing tobacco and alcohol tax which are dead last in the county as well as increasing commercial driving taxes for semis etc. These were all voted down. Its likely that most of the established and long-term senators and representatives are pretty dead set on cutting rather that raising taxes. Newer individuals are the ones more apt to raise taxes and also cut were it counts.
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

Wyoming should look into aluminum and titanium processing. It requires massive amounts of electricity. I truly believe in Wyoming ability to create cheap and abundant amounts of it, and it would bring in a nice lift to the rail companies. It's the future of metal.
wyoair
Ranch Hand

carbonpoke wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 11:19 am Wyoming should look into aluminum and titanium processing. It requires massive amounts of electricity. I truly believe in Wyoming ability to create cheap and abundant amounts of it, and it would bring in a nice lift to the rail companies. It's the future of metal.
We definitely need to look into something. We cannot rely on demand for oil and coal anymore especially with OPEC. Horizontal drilling is wonderful but its not profitable at $50/barrel so no one will attempt that here. Even directional isn't all that profitable at $50/barrel. Wyoming isn't famous for being proactive in terms of looking at other venues for revenue generations.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

carbonpoke wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 11:19 am Wyoming should look into aluminum and titanium processing. It requires massive amounts of electricity. I truly believe in Wyoming ability to create cheap and abundant amounts of it, and it would bring in a nice lift to the rail companies. It's the future of metal.
This could definitely make sense. Wyoming supposedly also have deposits of rare earth elements as well: http://www.wsgs.wyo.gov/minerals/rare-earths
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

Something else very new and cutting edge is Graphene. Whoever learns how to create this stuff in high quality to quantity ratio... This stuff is.... Well...

Go look it up, hard to explain.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

carbonpoke wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 6:53 pm Something else very new and cutting edge is Graphene. Whoever learns how to create this stuff in high quality to quantity ratio... This stuff is.... Well...

Go look it up, hard to explain.
Yeah - any specific reason Wyoming would have an advantage, though?