UW proposed budget to cut $1,000,000 from athletics...

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

Carbon and methane are two of the key components to making the stuff. Coal is carbon. Methane is also in abundance.
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

Nuclear energy is something we should look into there is plenty of empty space to build a plant, and we mine uranium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

The Chinese are using corncobs to make graphene

https://www.graphene-info.com/china-bas ... ction-line
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 230 times

wyoair wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 11:47 am
We definitely need to look into something. We cannot rely on demand for oil and coal anymore especially with OPEC. Horizontal drilling is wonderful but its not profitable at $50/barrel so no one will attempt that here. Even directional isn't all that profitable at $50/barrel. Wyoming isn't famous for being proactive in terms of looking at other venues for revenue generations.
This confuses me. What does OPEC have to do with coal??? OPEC doesn't produce any coal nor does OPEC deliver any natural gas to the United States. Coal's struggles are directly related to unconventional drilling which have unlocked vast amounts of natural gas in the United States. It would take us 100s of years to exhaust the natural gas underlying the Marcellus, Eagle Ford and various other plays. Accordingly, coal's place in electrical generation will continue to be replaced. The only hope for a coal recovery is a new and more efficient use of the coal (not appearing to be on the horizon anytime soon).

Additionally, OPEC has been relegated to almost nothing in the oil markets because of the unconventional drilling boom. OPEC basically no longer has any control whatsoever on the price of oil as the United States has become the swing producer through unconventional drilling methods. If oil creeps higher, we bring more rigs online. If oil creeps lower, we bring rigs offline. What has this caused? A relatively narrow band for the price of oil between $45-$55 /bbl.

As to oil and gas drilling in Wyoming, I also disagree. I assume you mean "vertical" drilling versus "horizontal" drilling. (directional drilling is just a more expensive form of vertical drilling). Vertical drilling is for production of oil from conventional reservoirs. The large conventional reservoirs in Wyoming have largely been fully developed. Horizontal drilling is for production of oil from unconventional tight-sand and shale reservoirs. Additionally, there are plenty of horizontal plays in Wyoming that are profitable at $50/bbl. In the Powder River Basin, we have Turner, the deed, Shannon and Parkman plays that are all profitable under $40/bbl in various areas. In the DJ Basin (Laramie County), we have a Codell play that is profitable at $40/bbl in certain areas. Both of these basins are actively being developed. The difference is that the Permian Basin is currently much more profitable and the oil and gas companies have flooded that basin. Until the drilling locations in the Permian begin to wind down, we won't see a huge Wyoming rush.

What does this mean? It means that I agree with you that Wyoming needs to look at other potential sources for revenue.
wyoair
Ranch Hand

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 10:07 am
We definitely need to look into something. We cannot rely on demand for oil and coal anymore especially with OPEC. Horizontal drilling is wonderful but its not profitable at $50/barrel so no one will attempt that here. Even directional isn't all that profitable at $50/barrel. Wyoming isn't famous for being proactive in terms of looking at other venues for revenue generations.
This confuses me. What does OPEC have to do with coal??? OPEC doesn't produce any coal nor does OPEC deliver any natural gas to the United States. Coal's struggles are directly related to unconventional drilling which have unlocked vast amounts of natural gas in the United States. It would take us 100s of years to exhaust the natural gas underlying the Marcellus, Eagle Ford and various other plays. Accordingly, coal's place in electrical generation will continue to be replaced. The only hope for a coal recovery is a new and more efficient use of the coal (not appearing to be on the horizon anytime soon).

Additionally, OPEC has been relegated to almost nothing in the oil markets because of the unconventional drilling boom. OPEC basically no longer has any control whatsoever on the price of oil as the United States has become the swing producer through unconventional drilling methods. If oil creeps higher, we bring more rigs online. If oil creeps lower, we bring rigs offline. What has this caused? A relatively narrow band for the price of oil between $45-$55 /bbl.

As to oil and gas drilling in Wyoming, I also disagree. I assume you mean "vertical" drilling versus "horizontal" drilling. (directional drilling is just a more expensive form of vertical drilling). Vertical drilling is for production of oil from conventional reservoirs. The large conventional reservoirs in Wyoming have largely been fully developed. Horizontal drilling is for production of oil from unconventional tight-sand and shale reservoirs. Additionally, there are plenty of horizontal plays in Wyoming that are profitable at $50/bbl. In the Powder River Basin, we have Turner, the deed, Shannon and Parkman plays that are all profitable under $40/bbl in various areas. In the DJ Basin (Laramie County), we have a Codell play that is profitable at $40/bbl in certain areas. Both of these basins are actively being developed. The difference is that the Permian Basin is currently much more profitable and the oil and gas companies have flooded that basin. Until the drilling locations in the Permian begin to wind down, we won't see a huge Wyoming rush.

What does this mean? It means that I agree with you that Wyoming needs to look at other potential sources for revenue.

I know OPEC has nothing to do with coal I just got my terminology wrong is all in regards to drilling I know medicine, not energy so much haha! This is just from my conversations with patients from Gillette is my knowledge. So I'm guessing the huge field under the Bakken will be horizontally drilled? Thanks for the information!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

wyoair wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 7:51 pm
I know OPEC has nothing to do with coal I just got my terminology wrong is all in regards to drilling I know medicine, not energy so much haha! This is just from my conversations with patients from Gillette is my knowledge. So I'm guessing the huge field under the Bakken will be horizontally drilled? Thanks for the information!
I'd be a bit wary of the accuracy of statements from various patients. Gillette is in a bit of trouble and is going to need to find a way to reinvent itself as the coal industry continues to dwindle over the next 20 years. Luckily, the oil and natural gas potential of the Powder River Basin is not going away anytime soon.

As far as the Bakken and Three Forks Formations of the Williston Basin in Western North Dakota, that field will continue to be developed for many years to come. Various operators have been drilling horizontal wells in the Williston Basin since about 2008 and continue to develop the field. Will it go back to the madness of drilling circa 2012, no absolutely not. The Bakken/Three Forks cost much more to develop than the Permian Basin of Western Texas/Eastern New Mexico. There are some good operators in the Bakken, I really like what Oasis Petroleum is doing up there.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

Speaking for one particular industry, Wyoming really has nothing to lose by raising alcohol taxes. A modestly aggressive increase would still be lower than surrounding states. The argument against it is that it raises prices on residents. My answer to that is that too many of our residents want to live in a time bubble and pretend that Wyoming's prices for alcoholic beverages should always be ridiculously lower than they are elsewhere.

Simply put, if the state was to force the retailers to raise prices by boosting the wholesale cost, no one could really retaliate by voting with their wallets and going to another bar or liquor store. Retailers, whether liquor store, bar, or restaurant will simply pass the increased cost along to the customer....
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 9:34 pm
carbonpoke wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 6:53 pm Something else very new and cutting edge is Graphene. Whoever learns how to create this stuff in high quality to quantity ratio... This stuff is.... Well...

Go look it up, hard to explain.
Yeah - any specific reason Wyoming would have an advantage, though?
Got the coal. Haven't even looked it up yet but I assume it is based on carbon based on the name and if coal continues the decline we would have a supply of that. And to whoever asked how many young people leave because of jobs, I saw (I believe in the CST but not sure) we lose 60% of the 18-35 demo out of state
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

Wyovanian wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 4:22 pm Speaking for one particular industry, Wyoming really has nothing to lose by raising alcohol taxes. A modestly aggressive increase would still be lower than surrounding states. The argument against it is that it raises prices on residents. My answer to that is that too many of our residents want to live in a time bubble and pretend that Wyoming's prices for alcoholic beverages should always be ridiculously lower than they are elsewhere.

Simply put, if the state was to force the retailers to raise prices by boosting the wholesale cost, no one could really retaliate by voting with their wallets and going to another bar or liquor store. Retailers, whether liquor store, bar, or restaurant will simply pass the increased cost along to the customer....
Makes sense to me. Alcohol (as much as I love many alcoholic beverages) also costs taxpayers a ridiculous amount of money because of secondary effects. I'm fine with paying a little bit more to cover for that.

Also not sure why Wyoming doesn't just legalize pot - you'd think there were enough Democrats + Libertarians in the state to pull that one off. Aside from tourists, I don't think it's made a huge difference in terms of consumption here in Colorado, but it sure brings in a lot of sweet tax dollars.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Wyovanian wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 4:22 pm Speaking for one particular industry, Wyoming really has nothing to lose by raising alcohol taxes. A modestly aggressive increase would still be lower than surrounding states. The argument against it is that it raises prices on residents. My answer to that is that too many of our residents want to live in a time bubble and pretend that Wyoming's prices for alcoholic beverages should always be ridiculously lower than they are elsewhere.

Couldn't agree with you more.

The legislature's actions in this last session was very disappointing. We know we have this massive funding gap and there were many bills introduced to help meeting said funding gap...yet at the end of the legislative session not a single one of those funding bills was passed and we are stuck with the status quo (a status that would assuredly lead to bankruptcy over the long run). Said another way, we spent a bunch of money to have our legislature debate carrying guns in secondary schools, restroom choices and an unauthorized state takeover of federal public lands...yet accomplished nothing in figuring out how the State of Wyoming is going to fund its schools and actually make ends meet. We are supposed to be a fiscally conservative state, I would call the legislature's recent action a fiscal bury your head in the sand policy.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

OrediggerPoke wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 4:37 pmSaid another way, we spent a bunch of money to have our legislature debate carrying guns in secondary schools, restroom choices and an unauthorized state takeover of federal public lands...yet accomplished nothing in figuring out how the State of Wyoming is going to fund its schools and actually make ends meet. We are supposed to be a fiscally conservative state, I would call the legislature's recent action a fiscal bury your head in the sand policy.
Ouch.

I still don't get the restroom issue. Sure, locker rooms and showers could get awkward, especially during teenage years (then again, I was 19 in the military when we had coed showers - you got over the naked lady bits pretty damn fast even though it was shocking the first time).

But restrooms? I don't want to see ANYBODY'S genitals in the restroom. I don't care who's in the stall next to me. I'm there for #1 or #2... whoever associates restrooms with something the deed probably are the ones who really should start examining their mental condition.
GoPokes86
Cowpoke
Been liked: 10 times

carbonpoke wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 11:19 am Wyoming should look into aluminum and titanium processing. It requires massive amounts of electricity. I truly believe in Wyoming ability to create cheap and abundant amounts of it, and it would bring in a nice lift to the rail companies. It's the future of metal.
Horizontal oil in the Powder River Basin is about the best opportunity for Wyoming to get back in the oil game. The reservoir is strong up there, but it's tough to get to. Somebody will figure it out, but with so much activity in the Permian/Delaware basin and the massive IPs from those wells down there, more people are going to pursue that play. I see the oil market staying flat for the next 3-5 years at least.
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 4:05 pm
carbonpoke wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 11:19 am Wyoming should look into aluminum and titanium processing. It requires massive amounts of electricity. I truly believe in Wyoming ability to create cheap and abundant amounts of it, and it would bring in a nice lift to the rail companies. It's the future of metal.
This could definitely make sense. Wyoming supposedly also have deposits of rare earth elements as well: http://www.wsgs.wyo.gov/minerals/rare-earths
Supposed to be a large scale mine up by Sundance and Hulett. I know they were having trouble getting started with the feds though. And I don't know much about graphene but I'd assume our coal/carbon deposits would help give Wyoming an advantage, especially as coal declines. Who knows for sure though.
GoPokes86
Cowpoke
Been liked: 10 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 9:18 am
I'd be a bit wary of the accuracy of statements from various patients. Gillette is in a bit of trouble and is going to need to find a way to reinvent itself as the coal industry continues to dwindle over the next 20 years. Luckily, the oil and natural gas potential of the Powder River Basin is not going away anytime soon.

As far as the Bakken and Three Forks Formations of the Williston Basin in Western North Dakota, that field will continue to be developed for many years to come. Various operators have been drilling horizontal wells in the Williston Basin since about 2008 and continue to develop the field. Will it go back to the madness of drilling circa 2012, no absolutely not. The Bakken/Three Forks cost much more to develop than the Permian Basin of Western Texas/Eastern New Mexico. There are some good operators in the Bakken, I really like what Oasis Petroleum is doing up there.
Now that the DAPL is in place, we're going to see pretty steady activity in the Bakken. Pulling all that crude off of the rails is really a big win in the long run. The Permian is just such a monster, so insanely profitable, not that it doesn't have it's challenges with produced water though. Interesting time to follow the industry.
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

GoPokes86 wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 6:05 pm

Now that the DAPL is in place, we're going to see pretty steady activity in the Bakken. Pulling all that crude off of the rails is really a big win in the long run. The Permian is just such a monster, so insanely profitable, not that it doesn't have it's challenges with produced water though. Interesting time to follow the industry.
And closer to home, not sure cause I haven't talked to anyone in that know in a while but theres supposed to be a not-quite-Permian-or Bakken-but-bigger-than-most reservoir around Lusk/Torrington that could come up if prices get much above $50
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

After living in California and Nevada, I would say Wyoming's greatest resource is water. Figure out how to store it, and then sell it downstream for a fortune. Might take building a few dams and some bright people on how to manage the resource for those dry years, but I guarantee you that there will always be a market for water. :twocents:
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

wyokoke wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 6:10 pm
GoPokes86 wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 6:05 pm

And closer to home, not sure cause I haven't talked to anyone in that know in a while but theres supposed to be a not-quite-Permian-or Bakken-but-bigger-than-most reservoir around Lusk/Torrington that could come up if prices get much above $50
I don't think I would be throwing any money around in Goshen or Niobrara counties. Those counties are pretty much wastelands for current horizontal development. Samson drilled a few 9 million dry holes in Goshen and pulled up stakes. Chesapeake unloaded its Goshen acreage. Niobrara County has some Teapot horizontal potential but that is all that I'm aware of. The Niobrara formation does not appear to be viable in those locations from the few scattered results.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

CowboyNV wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 10:00 pm After living in California and Nevada, I would say Wyoming's greatest resource is water. Figure out how to store it, and then sell it downstream for a fortune. Might take building a few dams and some bright people on how to manage the resource for those dry years, but I guarantee you that there will always be a market for water. :twocents:
To be fair, desalination plants are becoming more and more efficient (that dumping the salty stuff back into the water is idiotic is another story). There's a lot of research being done on how to set up desalination plants on scale with using surplus renewable power in a way that includes pushing the water up to store at an altitude.

Thaaaat said, all that kind of technology improving does is put a cap on the price of water. Beautiful and pristine Rocky Mountain water beats the flavor and price of artificially cleaned up and mineralized water.
Lost Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 15 times

CowboyNV wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 10:00 pm After living in California and Nevada, I would say Wyoming's greatest resource is water. Figure out how to store it, and then sell it downstream for a fortune. Might take building a few dams and some bright people on how to manage the resource for those dry years, but I guarantee you that there will always be a market for water. :twocents:
I'm pretty sure the rights to every micro-liter of water in all the rivers flowing south are already taken up by water compacts.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Lost Poke wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 12:35 pm
I'm pretty sure the rights to every micro-liter of water in all the rivers flowing south are already taken up by water compacts.
This is correct. Except for the Snake River Basin. The Snake is the only basin where Wyoming doesn't use its full appropriation.