Will Josh keep his ego in check?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

It's going to be hard. Women will be throwing themselves at him wherever he goes.

How do you stay humble when you're reading about how good you are from every national rag that covers football? It would be really easy to think, "I am going to be the number one pick, I do have the best package of skills out of any qb to enter the draft in 5-10 years, and yes, I am THE MAN!!!!"

In reality, we have a qb with unlimited potential, that has one season of major college starts, a low completion percentage, a high amount of interceptions(although a lot of those came in one Nebraska quarter after he hurt his plant foot), a lack of touch, and the inexperience at the position to be truly good at reading defenses and making audibles.

Josh has a lot to improve on. Let's hope he remembers how much work it takes to realize those improvements.

His draft value is based on how much he improves this year. Hopefully he'll keep that in mind.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
GoPokes86
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 10 times

A great coach will help Josh to keep things in check. I think both Vigen and Bohl will have him in the right frame of mind to be successful and avoid distractions.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 23 times

One of the articles claimed that Josh talks to Manziel a lot about how to avoid making similar mistakes in life...
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

I think that will be the big test. I think if he passes the mental test we will see it on the field and he will be a first round talent.

If his ego gets in the way and he isn't mentally tough it will show as well.

I think he will be fine. Josh is very down to earth from what I have read and seen but I'm excited to find out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

I think it's overblown. JA will sink or swim in 2017 because of his surroundings on the field, not anything on his accord. He won't suddenly stop being huge, fast, and powerful because Matt Miller won't get off his balls.
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

J-Rod wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 6:07 pm I think it's overblown. JA will sink or swim in 2017 because of his surroundings on the field, not anything on his accord. He won't suddenly stop being huge, fast, and powerful because Matt Miller won't get off his balls.
No but he could really prove it with no sure talent around him, not proven talent at least. Lofty comparisons but look at the guys Brady or Rogers are throwing to (Gronk excluded) compared do someone like Bortles with similar talent around him. Granted, Bortles did go 5 or whatever overall soooo
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

I don't think we'll ever have to worry about the word Josh and Ego in the same sentence. He seems just like a humble farm kid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 142 times

Wyo2dal wrote:I don't think we'll ever have to worry about the word Josh and Ego in the same sentence. He seems just like a humble farm kid.

Yeah, because I've never seen a conservative small town girl do anything crazy when she was in Laramie [emoji848]

W-Y, Until I Die!
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 23 times

laxwyo wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 9:32 am
Wyo2dal wrote:I don't think we'll ever have to worry about the word Josh and Ego in the same sentence. He seems just like a humble farm kid.

Yeah, because I've never seen a conservative small town girl do anything crazy when she was in Laramie [emoji848]
I think the fact that he changed his mind despite the initial hype shows that he's not afraid to be humble even when it's difficult. He had already told several team mates that he was going to the draft... after I've told my friends about a major decision, turning back isn't exactly easy.

I think he's far more at risk to have a terrible TD - INT ratio because he tries to do too much due to having lower quality receivers than he is at ending up with an ego writing checks his body can't cash.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 142 times

I'm not worried about his ego either. I also agree that he could throw a lot of picks trying to carry the team. Hopefully, the D steps up even more this year and josh won't feel the burden to try and carry the whole team. Not that this team is one person but I definitely think he's a leader and wants this team to succeed. Just play ball and maybe we end up in championship game again. Can't force it

W-Y, Until I Die!
kdwrightuwyo
A Real Cowboy

Like a few here, I doubt his ego will be an issue. It will be his desire to do too much. He will probably be willing, because of his desire to win and wanting to live up to the hype, to make grows he shouldn't. He lost an NLF lineman and a couple of NFL targets to throw to. He has a younger batch of receivers and TEs that haven't yet proven themselves. They should all be improving, but because of the reliability and play making ability of Gentry and Hollister, they're really untested.
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

We only have 57 receptions for 714 and 5TDs returning. Tanner had 72 for 1326 and 14 alone. And we only have 41 rushes for 173 yards and a TD from running backs. That obviously doesn't even take Chase into account
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

wyokoke wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 2:38 pm We only have 57 receptions for 714 and 5TDs returning. Tanner had 72 for 1326 and 14 alone. And we only have 41 rushes for 173 yards and a TD from running backs. That obviously doesn't even take Chase into account
I'm not too worried at all about our RB situation, and I never will be as long as we run the same offense. Hill was an amazing talent, but this offense doesn't need an amazing talent at RB to have success. It's a little different at WR, but not too much. I think this offense will essentially run itself, as long as the OL is solid and the QB is accurate. Which I expect to continue with Bohl and Vigen in charge.

Look at the stats from last year. There were two games with 46 rush attempts (1 win, 1 loss). Everything over 46 was a win and everything below 46 was a loss. Similarly, there's a cut-off of 27 pass attempts. 27 and fewer, we won every game. 28 and over, we were 3-5. The three wins were arguably the three toughest of the season (NIU, BSU, SDSU). Not saying these exact numbers need to be replicated, but the general idea is that there's a path to success for this team.

The formula is in place.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 32 times

I've been thinking about this too.. he's gotten a lot of attention the last few weeks. I hope that Josh is mentally stable enough to avoid distractions and the "spotlight" if you will and focus his energy on becoming a better quarterback. He has his work cutout this season as he loses his top three receiving targets and one of the best offensive lineman in the country. He's going to need to build chemistry with his new targets in a hurry. This is all without even mentioning losing Brian Hill, the guy that kept the offense moving more often than not.

Tanner Gentry was an unreal target who was able to snag some passes that mortal receivers could not.. and those kinds of catches were the difference in MANY games last year. Josh is going to have to find his targets and not rely on acrobatics to get those touchdowns made. I hope we're not in for a letdown next year after a phenomenal season this past year. Josh, and the rest of the Cowboy offense have a lot of work to do this summer to keep the momentum going.

I'm sure the U is just reveling in this free press right now.. that kind of marketing -cannot- be bought. If the Cowboys somehow go into Kinnick Stadium and beat Iowa the press is going to be beating down the doors in Laramie for the following five months. If Josh starts to struggle early in the season I think we're going to see a lot of "Will Josh Allen get drafted at all?" kind of articles and who knows what'll happen. Unknown waters in the next seven to eight months. I hope Bohl and Vigen are ready to navigate the ship.
ImageImageImageImage
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

joshvanklomp wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 4:17 pm
wyokoke wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 2:38 pm We only have 57 receptions for 714 and 5TDs returning. Tanner had 72 for 1326 and 14 alone. And we only have 41 rushes for 173 yards and a TD from running backs. That obviously doesn't even take Chase into account
I'm not too worried at all about our RB situation, and I never will be as long as we run the same offense. Hill was an amazing talent, but this offense doesn't need an amazing talent at RB to have success. It's a little different at WR, but not too much. I think this offense will essentially run itself, as long as the OL is solid and the QB is accurate. Which I expect to continue with Bohl and Vigen in charge.

Look at the stats from last year. There were two games with 46 rush attempts (1 win, 1 loss). Everything over 46 was a win and everything below 46 was a loss. Similarly, there's a cut-off of 27 pass attempts. 27 and fewer, we won every game. 28 and over, we were 3-5. The three wins were arguably the three toughest of the season (NIU, BSU, SDSU). Not saying these exact numbers need to be replicated, but the general idea is that there's a path to success for this team.

The formula is in place.
The same offensive system that started out 6-18?
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

wyokoke wrote:

The formula is in place.
Yes the same system but now it also has the players when it all started we we're short there players for the correct system.

wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

Wyo2dal wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 5:49 pm
wyokoke wrote:

The formula is in place.
Yes the same system but now it also has the players when it all started we we're short there players for the correct system.

He just basically said the players don't matter other than the line is what I was getting at
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Statistically, last year wasn't all that different from the first two years. There were two main differences:
Number of TDs/game (2.4 to 2.7 to 4.3)
Total points from kicker (67 to 34 to 103)

Check this out:
2014 passing: 17.6-31.2 (56.4%), 227.3 ypg
2015 passing: 15.3-25.7 (59.4%), 186.3 ypg
2016 passing: 15.0-27.0 (55.6%), 229.1 ypg

The offense basically runs itself.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

joshvanklomp wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 9:26 pm Statistically, last year wasn't all that different from the first two years. There were two main differences:
Number of TDs/game (2.4 to 2.7 to 4.3)
Total points from kicker (67 to 34 to 103)

Check this out:
2014 passing: 17.6-31.2 (56.4%), 227.3 ypg
2015 passing: 15.3-25.7 (59.4%), 186.3 ypg
2016 passing: 15.0-27.0 (55.6%), 229.1 ypg

The offense basically runs itself.
Points per game, the only offensive stat that really matters
2014 21.1
2015 19.0
2016 35.9

It might run itself but not well without players
poke_addict
Cowpoke
Been liked: 3 times

Skill positions are important but don't even compare to the importance of having a strong offensive line. I know a lot of people don't care about them at all but go and watch Brian's highlight tapes and actually watch the blocking. You'll will gain respect for so many players with some downright nasty blocking. We lost chase but this will be the most talented line Wyoming has had in a long time. Hill was a legend but they come and go. This is college football guys we're going to be having the same convo when conways gone cj's gone James price is gone and mark my words milo is going to be a stud when he finally gets his chance. Josh has even been on record of saying this group of skill positions are the most talented he's seen. I am not worried at all Bohls staff has already found the best running back in school history. The best quarterback in school history. Not to mention has produced back to back freshman all Americans out of kids who barely had a star by their name coming out of high school. Bohl obviously knows how to find talent where other schools don't look. We're going to be just fine.😃. poop I know this is kinda off subject but I remember a time when I was terrified of the thought of Larry nance taking over for Leonard Washington when he graduated and I know a lot of other pokes fans who had similar feelings. As far as Josh goes I believe he was built for this type of hype and exposure