Enrollment up at UW

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

Saw an article that UW expects its largest freshmen class ever. That's good. Hopefully we can grow enrollment long-term. I think that would be a good thing for the university/Laramie.

http://laramielive.com/univ-of-wyoming- ... man-class/
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

The academia dorks will all insist it's something they did. The athletics haters sprinkled amongst the state population will fill the comments section of the paper with terms like "coincidence" and "luck".

The school is saying it's due to a streamlined transfer process and more cooperation with the community colleges: outreach. They're correct about that.

The reality: enrollment grows when you win football games.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 226 times

Cowboy Junky wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 5:57 pm The academia dorks will all insist it's something they did. The athletics haters sprinkled amongst the state population will fill the comments section of the paper with terms like "coincidence" and "luck".

The school is saying it's due to a streamlined transfer process and more cooperation with the community colleges: outreach. They're correct about that.

The increase has absolutely nothing to do with the football team. The mandate came at the beginning of the year to make ends meet in the budget crisis. The approach was 2 prong: (1) cut budget; and (2) increase undergraduate enrollment.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 9:35 am
Cowboy Junky wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 5:57 pm The academia dorks will all insist it's something they did. The athletics haters sprinkled amongst the state population will fill the comments section of the paper with terms like "coincidence" and "luck".

The increase has absolutely nothing to do with the football team. The mandate came at the beginning of the year to make ends meet in the budget crisis. The approach was 2 prong: (1) cut budget; and (2) increase undergraduate enrollment.
I thought I read there was a large increase in applications after we beat Boise
pokecountant
Ranch Hand

LanderPoke wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 9:50 am

There was. I have a Brother In law in Admissions. He confirmed that after we beat Boise State, applications the following monday were at 200% the normal level. I would imagine after beating SDSU at home and then a Conf championship game at home, and a bowl game didn't hurt applications at all either. The offseason with the Hype surrounding Josh Allen has likely been a big boost. So yes, Oredigger Poke, winning football games DOES have something to do with it.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 43 times

pokecountant wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 10:14 am
LanderPoke wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 9:50 am

There was. I have a Brother In law in Admissions. He confirmed that after we beat Boise State, applications the following monday were at 200% the normal level. I would imagine after beating SDSU at home and then a Conf championship game at home, and a bowl game didn't hurt applications at all either. The offseason with the Hype surrounding Josh Allen has likely been a big boost. So yes, Oredigger Poke, winning football games DOES have something to do with it.
I believe it's called the Doug Flutie Effect. After the miracle win over Miami (FL) with a Hail Mary Pass from Flutie in the early '80s, Boston College noticed a HUGE increase in admission applications. Winning DOES, in fact, help admissions.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

That's kind of like saying a business's sales went up because they had to. That's not how it works. Increasing the undergrad enrollment was a strategic goal, not a tactic. Improving public image and marketability would be a (somewhat broad) tactic, and competitive/ winning sports programs are part of that tactic...
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
SnowyRange
Ranch Hand

That's kind of like saying a business's sales went up because they had to.
Not in this case. In this case it was like telling people who were never part of the sales force that they had to start being involved in marketing, as the future of their units would depend upon it. It had results.

And, without doubt, success in athletics helps.
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

I think it's one of many variables, remember correlation does not equal causation.

With Hathaway funds and Wyoming economy in the crapper it makes sense more kids are staying in state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

If I was a college-bound Wyoming kid, I'd look very at the Colorado job market. Unemployment here sits at 2.3% right now and companies are starting to get super-desperate for labor. Many are willing to do training side-by-side with rather high-paying wages.

Sure, being an electrician isn't exactly the deed, but if you start at $25/hour while getting your apprenticeship, classes, and training for free? You can always go back to school later if the economy tanks.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

SnowyRange wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 8:31 am
That's kind of like saying a business's sales went up because they had to.
Not in this case. In this case it was like telling people who were never part of the sales force that they had to start being involved in marketing, as the future of their units would depend upon it. It had results.

And, without doubt, success in athletics helps.
I think you missed my point. Need doesn't equal effect. He was trying to say that because the need was there, the desired results occurred. Need provides direction, not results.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
cowboyz
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

I'm pretty much with the rest of the gang here. As random as it sounds, winning sports teams, especially football, do increase applications.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 11:06 am If I was a college-bound Wyoming kid, I'd look very at the Colorado job market. Unemployment here sits at 2.3% right now and companies are starting to get super-desperate for labor. Many are willing to do training side-by-side with rather high-paying wages.

Sure, being an electrician isn't exactly the deed, but if you start at $25/hour while getting your apprenticeship, classes, and training for free? You can always go back to school later if the economy tanks.
Apprentice electricians don't start at 25. First year journeymen commonly get 25. I made 12 an hour as a year one apprentice.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

Cowboy Junky wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 6:42 pm
Asmodeanreborn wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 11:06 am If I was a college-bound Wyoming kid, I'd look very at the Colorado job market. Unemployment here sits at 2.3% right now and companies are starting to get super-desperate for labor. Many are willing to do training side-by-side with rather high-paying wages.

Apprentice electricians don't start at 25. First year journeymen commonly get 25. I made 12 an hour as a year one apprentice.
That's what my friend paid his last apprentice here in Boulder County last year... and he's having a rough go hiring in general starting at $35+/hour for anybody certified for Colorado.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

One could argue that both statements have merit. While UW could simply increase enrollment numbers by increasing the percentage of applications that they accept, this would obviously lessen admission standards. Football success (and Athletic's success in general) would increase the number of applications submitted which would allow UW to increase enrollment numbers while not increasing their acceptance rate or diminishing their standards for acceptance.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

I never said that a football team's success cannot increase enrollment. (See Boston College among other examples). In fact, I have said the exact opposite on other occasions. Please don't misquote me.

What I have said is that in this instance, the increase in enrollment is almost entirely due to the mandate and marketing efforts of the University in order to increase undergraduate enrollment for budget purposes. Sorry guys, making the MWC Championship game and the Poinsettia Bowl has a negligible (if any) effect.

Should Josh Allen have a remarkable year and should Wyoming dominate the news and make a big bowl game...then yes, Wyoming could see an increase in enrollment directly attributable to the efforts of the football team.

Carry on.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Wyovanian wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 11:34 am
I think you missed my point. Need doesn't equal effect. He was trying to say that because the need was there, the desired results occurred. Need provides direction, not results.
Thanks for trying to articulate my thoughts, except that is not anything I said or intended to say.