Can anyone remember a time when Wyoming had this many natives on the roster/in the two deep?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

Alphabetically:

1. Justin Borton, OL, Redshirt Freshman, Wheatland
2. Jeff Burroughs, FB, Redshirt Freshman, Yoder
3. Josh Calvert, LB, Redshirt Freshman, Wheatland
4. Dontae Crow, WR, Redshirt Freshman, Sheridan
5. Austin Fort, TE, Junior, Gillette
6. Logan Harris, Center, Freshman, Torrington
7. Josh Harshman, TE, Junior, Casper
8. Isaac Jefferson, WR, Sophomore, Rawlins
9. Skyler Miller, LB, Redshirt Freshman, Torrington
10. Paul Schwab, T, Sophomore, Afton
11. Riley Sessions, S, Redshirt Freshman, Sheridan
12. Logan Wilson, MLB, Sophomore, Casper
13. Ben Wisdorf, LB, Sophomore, Cheyenne

It's one thing to have Wyoming kids on the roster if none of them have a chance to play. This is an established Bohl program with decent depth. Guys that will play this season:

1. Logan Wilson
2. Austin Fort
3. Josh Harshman

Guys that might make the 2 deep and see some time:

1. Logan Harris
2. Dontae Crow
3. Paul Schwab
4. Ben Wisdorf

If there's ever been a reason for Wyoming to open the checkbook and throw the bank at a coach, this is it. Bohl's walk-on program and emphasis on recruiting in state has loaded the Wyoming roster with people that understand Wyoming culture/values.

Can anyone else remember a time when we had 13 Wyoming kids on our roster, with 3 of them playing significant minutes, and 4 more with a shot to play significant minutes? Old timers, help me out here.

Has Wyoming ever had a roster with this many Wyoming natives?
Last edited by Cowboy Junky on Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

I almost forgot Theo Dawson, since he isn't listed on the roster while he serves his mission.

Note, for members of the press, that may read this thread:

This is the PERFECT story to put in your newspaper. Feel free to steal this grand idea for a story. ;)

National Champions 1943.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

I do.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Hate to play devil's advocate for a topic like this, but it might not be that rare of an occurance. Take Dave Christensens 2010 team, he has three starters that are wyoming natives, with 11 on the roster (Bolger, Prosinski, & Kirven). I suspect that many of the players on this team will slide off the two deep. Pretty similar numbers from a coach who definitely didn't make wyoming a priority ( his later years haddrop off in Wyo kids though). I would expect that Glenn often had similar makeups of his teams as Bohl.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy

2004 Cowboys had 13 Wyoming Kids on the roster, with 4 seeing significant time or starts( Austin Hall,Wade Betschart, Corey Bramlet, and John Wendling).
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Bout time, we're finally getting Cowboy Tough!!!
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

marcuswyo wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:26 pm Hate to play devil's advocate for a topic like this, but it might not be that rare of an occurance. Take Dave Christensens 2010 team, he has three starters that are wyoming natives, with 11 on the roster (Bolger, Prosinski, & Kirven). I suspect that many of the players on this team will slide off the two deep. Pretty similar numbers from a coach who definitely didn't make wyoming a priority ( his later years haddrop off in Wyo kids though). I would expect that Glenn often had similar makeups of his teams as Bohl.
How many of Christensens guys were recruited by DC? I doubt if many of them were.

I'm relatively confident that Logan Harris and one of the other maybes are going to make the two deep.

The point is still the same: Wyoming has more natives than I can remember(early 80's) in the two deep. Theres a chance we might have 7 playing this year. I'm guessing it will be five.

I didn't say there haven't been others that have done it. I'm saying it's RARE that we have that many natives in the 2 deep or on the roster. It's extremely rare for a team that was playing for the MWC championship on the last week of the season.

The 2004 squad finished 7-5. The 2010 squad finished 3-9. We'll see how this years team does.

I wish Glenn would have done better here. He did understand the culture and give Wyoming graduates a chance. Christensen was just a douchebag and I'm glad he's gone.

That doesn't change the point: we won our first division title in god knows how long, and we've done it with a significant presence of Wyoming natives.

What Bohl has done in 4 short years is remarkable.

National Champions 1943.

I do.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy

Too early to tell on Bohl's success here. I believe he is absolutely on the right track...but I think it has more to do with his development of all players not just Wyoming. He is recruiting Colorado heavier than D.C. Or Glenn did as well.

This is the year we can tell the true direction of the program. Year three can be misleading. D.C. Went 8-5 year 3 and did challenge for a title well ( (came close to knocking off TCU which would have gave a share of the title). That year 3 also had some blow outs (similar to New Mexico last year), and a star quarterback coming out of no where. Lots of similarities between 2011 & 2016. Like most I think Bohl can get it done (hiring Hazelton was the biggest step imho) but we will know soon enough.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

marcuswyo wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:42 pm Too early to tell on Bohl's success here. I believe he is absolutely on the right track...but I think it has more to do with his development of all players not just Wyoming. He is recruiting Colorado heavier than D.C. Or Glenn did as well.

This is the year we can tell the true direction of the program. Year three can be misleading. D.C. Went 8-5 year 3 and did challenge for a title well ( (came close to knocking off TCU which would have gave a share of the title). That year 3 also had some blow outs (similar to New Mexico last year), and a star quarterback coming out of no where. Lots of similarities between 2011 & 2016. Like most I think Bohl can get it done (hiring Hazelton was the biggest step imho) but we will know soon enough.
DC's recruiting got worse the longer he was here. Bohl's is getting better every day.

Agreed that it's about development. It is also about understanding the culture. Glenn and Bohl get it. DC didn't. Wyoming is not a finesse, pretty boy, spread offense, kind of state. It worked with Tiller, because we were one of the first schools to do it right. Now everyone is doing it. Wyoming is a lunch bucket, hard work, old school, fundamental, and traditional state.

The only reason DC had success is because he inherited Glenn's defense. As soon as they were gone, DC was gone.

I agree. This year will tell us if we were just a flash in the pan or if this is a program built on a solid foundation.

National Champions 1943.

I do.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy

Might be splitting hairs here ( football can't come soon enough), I actually think D.C. Was a quality recruiter. He just didn't know anything about defense. These player's were all D.C. recruits: Gentry, Maulhardt, DJ May, Josh Doctson ( 1st rounder), Chase Roullier, Brett Smith, Corey Jones, Mike Purcell, Quest Huff, Mark Nzeocha, Lucas Wacha, Eddie Yarbrough, Nehemie Kankalongo and Jacob Holloister. That is a lot of pro talent (NFL & CFl) and Bohl got the benefit of some of these players ( even on defense). The cupboard wasn't bare talent wise, but bare with attrition as D.C. Was likely a douche.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

It's something he said he would do from his very first press conference. People were worried it meant he wouldn't recruit good enough talent here, but guys like Logan Wilson have worked out decently so far.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

joshvanklomp wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:34 pm It's something he said he would do from his very first press conference. People were worried it meant he wouldn't recruit good enough talent here, but guys like Logan Wilson have worked out decently so far.
Logan Wilson has a chance to be far more than decent. He's got three years to be Hazleton's protege. He could break Wyoming records before it's all said and done.

National Champions 1943.

I do.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy

Also heard Wilson is close to 240lbs. That is a great weight for his position.

http://www.montanasports.com/2017/08/08 ... velopment/
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

marcuswyo wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:29 pm Also heard Wilson is close to 240lbs. That is a great weight for his position.

http://www.montanasports.com/2017/08/08 ... velopment/
He looks it too. There's a new video interview with him on Wyo-Vision. He looks like he's ready to have one hell of a season.

MLB in that system, with three years to play for Hazelton, is the perfect scenario for Logan.

http://www.gowyo.com/news/the-rise-of-w ... 08-08-2017

National Champions 1943.

I do.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy

Most up to date roster with weight gains:

http://wyo-platform-api-prod-origin.sla ... 7646cbe613
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Cowboy Junky wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:16 pm
joshvanklomp wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:34 pm It's something he said he would do from his very first press conference. People were worried it meant he wouldn't recruit good enough talent here, but guys like Logan Wilson have worked out decently so far.
Logan Wilson has a chance to be far more than decent. He's got three years to be Hazleton's protege. He could break Wyoming records before it's all said and done.
Yes I know. I was understating it intentionally.
onePokeovertheline
Ranch Hand

marcuswyo wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:24 pm Might be splitting hairs here ( football can't come soon enough), I actually think D.C. Was a quality recruiter. He just didn't know anything about defense. These player's were all D.C. recruits: Gentry, Maulhardt, DJ May, Josh Doctson ( 1st rounder), Chase Roullier, Brett Smith, Corey Jones, Mike Purcell, Quest Huff, Mark Nzeocha, Lucas Wacha, Eddie Yarbrough, Nehemie Kankalongo and Jacob Holloister. That is a lot of pro talent (NFL & CFl) and Bohl got the benefit of some of these players ( even on defense). The cupboard wasn't bare talent wise, but bare with attrition as D.C. Was likely a douche.
Jacob Hollister was a Bohl recruit
pokecountant
Ranch Hand

marcuswyo wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:55 pm Most up to date roster with weight gains:

http://wyo-platform-api-prod-origin.sla ... 7646cbe613
The pronunciation guide at the bottom is a MAJOR KEY. Someone should make sure Kevin and Dave have a copy of this.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

pokecountant wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:19 amThe pronunciation guide at the bottom is a MAJOR KEY. Someone should make sure Kevin and Dave have a copy of this.
They do. Media/announcers always get a shot similar to this before every game. It's up to them if they study it/use it.
poke_addict
Cowpoke
Been liked: 3 times

joshvanklomp wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:51 pm
pokecountant wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:19 amThe pronunciation guide at the bottom is a MAJOR KEY. Someone should make sure Kevin and Dave have a copy of this.
They do. Media/announcers always get a shot similar to this before every game. It's up to them if they study it/use it.
Dave is always on his game. He's a true professional!!