Hahaha... BYU back in MWC

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
LaradiseCowboy
Ranch Hand

carbonpoke wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:05 pm No thanks, we should just build a new university in Jackson, with the Tetons as the back drop for the football stadium. Then we can harvest all the west star valley. Would be prime location for sweet rivalry games. Could u imagine the amount of hot rich... Err, nevermind. Jackson would be the coolest college town in the u.s.
Looks like someone hasn't bought into the "One Wyoming" promo.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

I don't know I think it could only benefit the conference as a whole, their little experiment isn't working and they don't like it. Time will tell but I can forsee this becoming a reality in the near future.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

How would it benefit the conference if they came in and then pulled the same crap again? If they were to be successful in such an attempt, Wyoming could be conference-less, and I doubt anybody else would be queuing up to take us in.

Screw BYU.
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

Asmodeanreborn wrote:How would it benefit the conference if they came in and then pulled the same crap again? If they were to be successful in such an attempt, Wyoming could be conference-less, and I doubt anybody else would be queuing up to take us in.

Screw BYU.
Money talks unfortunately. Make no mistake just as any college football team (including Wyoming) their goal is to make as much of what they have and run with it, if invited to a power conference they would jump.

But byu does have a passionate fan base with regularity they pack their stadium near to capacity, they have been to consecutive bowl games for more then a decade, television networks value those things and if they were in the mw the mw would see an increase in revenue.

I don’t like byu and for many reasons it’s because they have had the success that I covet as a cowboy fan. That being said, the pokes can’t afford to turn down revenue streams

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

What's the money worth if they doom Wyoming to independence? It'd be the end of Wyoming football as we know it.

Yes, that risk might not be overwhelmingly large, but even at 10-20% chance of happening, is that something you want to do? I like snakes, but there's a reason I don't fill my house with rattlesnakes (and no, I'm not comparing BYU to rattlesnakes, because rattlesnakes aren't evil pieces of poop).
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

There isn't any increased money. Straight up myth.

They don't boost average attendance when they travel. They don't boost tv ratings in games they play.

ESPN pays them some because, for not much money, ESPN gets a little from several conferences on odd nights, times, or espnu. We should stop scheduling byu and letting ESPN have MWC content on odd nights or times without paying the MWC for it.

Even if the myths were remotely true, how much would they increase our contract? 5 mill? Divide that by 14 and tell me it's worth putting up with them.

The only thing that would make the MWC worse is adding byu. There is 0 benefit for us. Not to mention player safety; they are the dirtiest most cheap shotting team in CFB. NO THANKS!!
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

I disagree with the money being a myth. If they were in the mountain west they would be considered the greatest draw among the teams in the mwc. We hate byu and they are a pain to work with but I don’t believe for a second that the mwc doesn’t have a net benefit if byu wants to stay.

Compare San Jose state and what they bring to the table and tell me the mwc wouldn’t be significantly better if byu were there instead of sjsu

ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Draw? Measured how? TV ratings? Nope. Average attendance when they travel? Nope.

Draw because of their attendance? So what? Them selling home tickets means nothing to the MWC.

The current MWC is not holding teams back for the NY6 bid, so who cares if byu is on average better than SJSU?

I fail to see any benefit to having them in conference other than a few hundred thousand per team at most. We would also be giving them access to our potential NY6 bid. F that. Not even remotely worth having the dirtiest team in CFB in conference.

They are always looking for games and can be easily scheduled ooc without having to put up with them or allowing them access to a NY6 bid.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

I think we should schedule them, just to help bury their program
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:39 am What's the money worth if they doom Wyoming to independence? It'd be the end of Wyoming football as we know it.
Where is this reasoning coming from? In what way would this be a possibility?
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

So the logic is that byu shows up in person but there fans don’t show up to watch tv?

I bet good money that there average game gets more viewers then anyone in the mw with the exception of Boise state.

Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

joshvanklomp wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:57 pm
Asmodeanreborn wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:39 am What's the money worth if they doom Wyoming to independence? It'd be the end of Wyoming football as we know it.
When BYU left Mountain West, they secretly tried arranging deals that would have terminated the conference had they been successful. Thanks to Boise and Fresno (I think?), that did not work out, and instead it was WAC that got disbanded.

THAT is why the MWC commissioner still harbors a lot of resentment for BYU. That is also why CSU and Wyoming (among others) are very unlikely to schedule games with BYU.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times

The more teams the more TV markets and $$ and overall a balance of a conference as a whole, don't ever sleep on the fact that they wouldn't be welcomed back, but they'd have to follow rules differently than they did, cuz if they do come back it's not just for their benefit, that clearly isn't working for them now, like before
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

pokefanchaz7 wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:12 pm So the logic is that byu shows up in person but there fans don’t show up to watch tv?

I bet good money that there average game gets more viewers then anyone in the mw with the exception of Boise state.

I'll take that bet. A stadium filling is vastly different than tv ratings. I've already looked at that data. Their average tv ratings are similar to all other G5 members. Their bowl games (Not always a great indicator because of time, day, etc.) are typically on the low end of the ratings.

byu would, on most years, increase conference strength measures, but that doesn't really benefit us. Our champ on most years will be in the mix for the NY6 and a game against byu would rarely make a difference.

byu are legends in their own mind. I won't argue that they've had good success, tradition, and home support. They have. However, the tangible and measurable benefits of them in the MWC are zilch other than for fans who wish to play them. In that case, just schedule them.
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

This is all moot really because I don’t see byu swallowing their pride and admitting they need the mountain west.

I can see them trying to form a new conference with the top teams in basketball and football from the greater 5. But that’s a lot of dominoes.

OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 61 times
Been liked: 228 times

BYU only survives because MWC teams bend over backwards for them. It would defy logic for BYU to come back to the conference when as an independent it can (i) schedule a few more "high profile" games a year (ii) still schedule multiple MWC teams to fill their schedule; (iii) and collect more TV money.

The MWC has effectively gave in and gave BYU everything it wants. That said, I hope BYU loses every game until eternity and no way do I want to see Wyoming cave and schedule those backstabbers. This is one thing where I very much hope that Tom Burman keeps his word.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

I don't disagree. The only thing I wonder about is the NY6 bid. It is a bigger deal than buy is letting on. I don't think a new conference would qualify without renegotiating the agreement.

I looked quickly, their game against lsu had a rating of 1.0 on ESPN. Similar time different day, usu vs whisky was 1.1. The Holy War on Espn2 had a dismal 0.37!! BUS vs UNM on ESPN was 0.7.

Whisky vs byu is the lowest rated game on ABC thus far with a 1.5. That's a major network and great timeslot barely beating usu on ESPN at 9 pm!
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:32 pm
joshvanklomp wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:57 pm
When BYU left Mountain West, they secretly tried arranging deals that would have terminated the conference had they been successful. Thanks to Boise and Fresno (I think?), that did not work out, and instead it was WAC that got disbanded.

THAT is why the MWC commissioner still harbors a lot of resentment for BYU. That is also why CSU and Wyoming (among others) are very unlikely to schedule games with BYU.
This +1000 Those assholes did everything they could to get the MWC disbanded. The MWC needs to stop scheduling them and let them die their independent death. Two years of a complete MWC ban and BYU would be a footnote in football history. If they came back, you can be assured that they would pull the same poop just as quick as it served their needs. They are the purest definition of mother f-word one can find in the sporting world.
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

Another reason: the game right now vs Boise State.

BYU fumbles the football, it's reviewed by the refs - ESPN guys conclude that it's clear video evidence the ball came out, refs disagree and let BYU keep the ball so they could score and take the lead.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:43 pm Another reason: the game right now vs Boise State.

BYU fumbles the football, it's reviewed by the refs - ESPN guys conclude that it's clear video evidence the ball came out, refs disagree and let BYU keep the ball so they could score and take the lead.
Same ole same ole BYU poop!!!! :roll:
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!