Vigen- looking forward

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
johnywyo
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 1 time

Well, this has been mentioned & my fellow classmate from LHS provided a great narrative last night via text.

Oversimplifying the Bohl/Vigen discussion on O; "stuff it down the opponents throat is not the answer". We clearly don't have the O Line or RB's to continue this strategy. We do however have the best QB, in the conference, and enough talent to get the ball in space to these playmakers. Adapt the game to Josh Allen and his strengths, take some plays from Andy Reid's playbook and lets get this offense revved up and put this team on a sustainable winning streak. Heading into Boise, who ate up Rashad Penny, punished Chapman and generally plays vicious D every snap means Vigen needs to suspend the lunacy that is and has been a weak attempt at game planning. C'mon Craig, show some balls and change. What worked at a lower level w/ clearly superior talent & a lower division has not worked this year, give Josh a chance to rise to his skill set and change with the times. Tell Vigen to adapt, or show him the exit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
At the molecular level all mankind is a brilliant super-nova.
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

Josh Allen was sacked at least four times last night and should have been sacked a lot more. We simply don’t have the offensive line to be a pass happy offense.

C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Well we don't have the line to have a great running game either. Maybe short passing game can open up the long passing game? Can JA take some steam off his passes for a short passing game? 80 yards rushing with under 3 yards a carry is most concerning.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

So in summation, other than not being able to pass or run, the offense is just fine.
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

SDPokeFan wrote:So in summation, other than not being able to pass or run, the offense is just fine.
Sounds about right. Our offensive line I think is the unit most responsible for our current woes. It’s hard to get big runs when there are no holes. When Allen has had time to throw we made some big plays but Allen was hurried too often yesterday

bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

SDPokeFan wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:25 am So in summation, other than not being able to pass or run, the offense is just fine.
But we only had one turnover, so there's that.

Josh Allen had almost 1/2 of our rushing yards yesterday.
Does it seem like Josh is staring down his receivers? He looks one way and throws it there whether the guy is open or not. Perhaps he's hearing footsteps, which would be understandable. I'd like to see Overstreet get more carries. He's the only one that hits the hole with any authority. Prosser has good hands and runs well after the catch. Too bad we need him on defense or he'd be a great tight end.

Next week scares me. The beating Josh took yesterday will seem like a tickle compared to next week.
Sad to see our Oline actually getting worse.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 596 times
Been liked: 238 times

Can we just move on from him already? Keep him as a QB coach sure, but someone else has got to be the architect of this offense. I refuse to believe the offensive players are as bad as they seem. Vigen just doesn't put us in positions to be successful. The offense is so predictable.

Two runs up the middle and and a pass to the outside doesn't cut it. So easy to defend.

MAybe we should pass to set up the run. Wow! novel idea. We had 8.0 yards per attempt yesterday. Pass every damn time if you have to. Why we run it at all is a mystery to me.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

johnywyo wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:41 am Oversimplifying the Bohl/Vigen discussion on O; "stuff it down the opponents throat is not the answer". We clearly don't have the O Line or RB's to continue this strategy.
The puzzling thing is that Bohl can't see this. So maybe Bohl (and Vigen) CAN'T or WON'T adapt or modify tactics to match the restricted talent available. My answer for the offense is to move to a finesse game of motion and trick plays EVERY play. Boise state will be this year's blowout. A lesser blowout if strategy is modified.
SnowyRange
Ranch Hand

The puzzling thing is that Bohl can't see this.
Yeah...150 years of coaching experience on the sidelines, and they just don't get football like guys on the internet do.
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

SnowyRange wrote:
Yeah...150 years of coaching experience on the sidelines, and they just don't get football like guys on the internet do.
Bingo

They know what they are doing but I think are limited by offensive line issues that don’t go away by trying to be something you aren’t

Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

SnowyRange wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:47 am
And 5,000+ years experience of administering in the US congress. That experience has really paid off, right?
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy

Well, Bohl did think Stanard would be a viable option for a coordinator at a D1 school and than kept him for 3 years. He certainly isn't immune to decision making errors when it comes to staff. I think Vigen is a decent coordinator, up to him and Bohl to get something figured out. Will they be willing to try something else 6 games in? Allen played in a short to intermediate passing game in juco, you would think he would be comfortable playing more out of shotgun.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

marcuswyo wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:55 pm Well, Bohl did think Stanard would be a viable option for a coordinator at a D1 school and than kept him for 3 years. He certainly isn't immune to decision making errors when it comes to staff. I think Vigen is a decent coordinator, up to him and Bohl to get something figured out. Will they be willing to try something else 6 games in? Allen played in a short to intermediate passing game in juco, you would think he would be comfortable playing more out of shotgun.
Allen has also been in Bohl's system for the last 3 years. So he'd be more used to Vigen's system then going spread or whatever.
johnywyo
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 1 time

One constant in being a CEO is dealing with change. It is understanding which changes will be most effective that can be utilized as the key to improvement. Standing pat and expecting different results is old guard mentality.

At the molecular level all mankind is a brilliant super-nova.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

As many have already said, the line is the biggest issue. Very few plays work without at least some push at times up front. It is like we are playing a super star d line every week. The line has to get better before anything else can be fully evaluated.

Several coaches now and none have been able to build a decent offensive line. Strange how much trouble we've had in this area.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
SnowyRange
Ranch Hand

And 5,000+ years experience of administering in the US congress. That experience has really paid off, right?
They don't have W-L records, on which their and their families' livelihoods depend.

But, ok, let's just hope all these coaches read these boards so they can discover some plays and schemes that have never occurred to them.
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

Might as well poop Craig too, since he seems to trust the guy
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy

Sports message boards would be pretty boring if people didn't have the opportunity to be arm chair qb's and coaches. It is fun to do.

It is also true that many posters thought Stanard was a bad hire from the get go. Much like Chris Tormey was a bad hire, or Bill Cockhill was as well. Now I'm not in the camp of firing Vigen (Bohl obviously thinks highly of him), but there have been many occasion when a coach hangs on to a coordinator way to long for whatever reason(Wyoming examples above).
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Adv8RU12 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:29 am
johnywyo wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:41 am Oversimplifying the Bohl/Vigen discussion on O; "stuff it down the opponents throat is not the answer". We clearly don't have the O Line or RB's to continue this strategy.
The puzzling thing is that Bohl can't see this. So maybe Bohl (and Vigen) CAN'T or WON'T adapt or modify tactics to match the restricted talent available. My answer for the offense is to move to a finesse game of motion and trick plays EVERY play. Boise state will be this year's blowout. A lesser blowout if strategy is modified.

Boise State was using the tactic against SDSU last night that just about every team used against us last year when we had Brian Hill in the backfield - load the box. Guess what BSU's strategy will be against us. My guess is they will put every bit of pressure & contain on Josh that they possibly can. How do you counter that - maybe quick hitters, jet sweeps, screen passes. SDSU's coaching staff sure didn't have an answer. We'll see what vision our coaching staff has.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

WYCowboy wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:36 pm Boise State was using the tactic against SDSU last night that just about every team used against us last year when we had Brian Hill in the backfield - load the box. Guess what BSU's strategy will be against us. My guess is they will put every bit of pressure & contain on Josh that they possibly can. How do you counter that - maybe quick hitters, jet sweeps, screen passes. SDSU's coaching staff sure didn't have an answer. We'll see what vision our coaching staff has.
I think we saw a little bit of that yesterday. Milo Hall, Evans, Overstreet, Woods, and Van Maanen all had catches (and Woods was targeted twice more to try to score, but it didn't work out). Conway also worked as a possession receiver, which is how he ended up with only 17 yards on 4 catches (longest one was 5 yards, so they were all almost identical in distance). In that sense, I think we've already kind of adjusted to not being able to run the ball.
Also liked what I saw from Harshman with him catching the ball in stride. Two catches for 19 and 28 yards is pretty solid. All it takes is him running through the arms of the corner or safety, and he goes all the way. I think it's going to happen one of these days. He's not enormous for a TE, but he's still got some mass to him. Same goes for Mayfield, who didn't have any catches this time around.

Really hope our mammoth freshman TEs will be ready to go next season. Even with a significant drop in talent under center, that could still really make a difference.