Bring in a Quarterback Transfer?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 230 times

I like the idea of bringing in a graduate QB transfer that can play right away to at least challenge for the starting position heading into next year. Maybe even a JUCO transfer. Increased competition at the QB spot can only be good IMO.

Michigan just announced that 2 of its QBs have been granted releases and are free to transfer: Malzone and Speight. It sounds like both of them may be available to play at another FBS next year with the graduate transfer rule.

Just a thought but I do hope it is being considered by the coaches. Let's remember...Josh Allen and Josh Wallwork were both very solid QB transfers.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

But don't you want a QB who is schooled in the pro set offense of Bohl? I don't thing there are many of those so you can't just pick up any "good" QB that is available, I think.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Adv8RU12 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:59 pm But don't you want a QB who is schooled in the pro set offense of Bohl? I don't thing there are many of those so you can't just pick up any "good" QB that is available, I think.
Harbaugh basically runs a pro-style at Michigan with a few wrinkles. Similar to how we run a pro-style with a few spread wrinkles.
wyoair
Ranch Hand

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:55 pm I like the idea of bringing in a graduate QB transfer that can play right away to at least challenge for the starting position heading into next year. Maybe even a JUCO transfer. Increased competition at the QB spot can only be good IMO.

Michigan just announced that 2 of its QBs have been granted releases and are free to transfer: Malzone and Speight. It sounds like both of them may be available to play at another FBS next year with the graduate transfer rule.

Just a thought but I do hope it is being considered by the coaches. Let's remember...Josh Allen and Josh Wallwork were both very solid QB transfers.
Agreed, I've thought to myself that we should take advantage of that more. I did not realize Wallwork was a transfer. I saw that with UM. Once Russell Wilson did the grad transfer rule, it has really become popular. Look what Boise did with Cozart. Here's a list of possible transfers for next year as well. This was before Speight and Malzone announced. Granted everyone on this list runs spread.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2716 ... bs-in-2017
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

The more I think about this, the more I think that we have to do this for what appears to be a potentially great defense next year. Same thing with the Denver Broncos...they should bring in Eli Manning or Kirk Cousins to try and make one final run with their defense.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Josh Allen's Juco college ran a spread offense if I recall correctly.
wyoair
Ranch Hand

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:27 pm The more I think about this, the more I think that we have to do this for what appears to be a potentially great defense next year. Same thing with the Denver Broncos...they should bring in Eli Manning or Kirk Cousins to try and make one final run with their defense.
Or the Jaguars. Great defense with a good offense in need of a QB.
GOWYO
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

She worked for me! But she just went home to Virginia.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

GOWYO wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:04 pm She worked for me! But she just went home to Virginia.
Call her up! Wyoming might not be on these guys' radar.
KeepitrealWyo
Buckaroo

No QB worth anything will come as a graduate transfer to play with this Offense
If bohl fires Vigen there is a chance we get someone with our D playing so well
After Josh crushes it at the Combine the public will wonder what happened with our Offense.
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

Are the coaches comfortable with the options that will be on campus? Smith may not be our best option coming in next season. I would rather see some JC O Line types that could contribute there and make an average qb look good.
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 23 times

We have at least some JC offers out, but can't remember what they are, aside from a Safety from California.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Maybe he can play in the Spud Bowl too, lol
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 144 times

It’s sort of a bummer that redshirts can’t play in the bowl game without losing the year. I think it would be a nice reward for teams making Bowl games. Seniors that have nfl in their future could forgo the meaningless bowl game so hey don’t get hurt and schools could play redshirts to get them a little experience
W-Y, Until I Die!
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

Don't we have a 4 star qb that redshirted this year that will play next year?
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 23 times

WyoBrandX wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:37 pm Don't we have a 4 star qb that redshirted this year that will play next year?
4 Star? I don't think we've ever had a 4 star.
This guy redshirted, though:
https://247sports.com/Player/Tyler-Vander-Waal-89317
PokeOLoco
A Real Cowboy

At this point no offers out to JUCO QBs or RBs according to Rivals
“Being around Colorado State, I saw that football wasn’t really a big sport there," Parker said Sunday night.
PokeOLoco
A Real Cowboy

Brodricks Jones on the basketball team was a four star transfer who sat out.. other than that I don't know who you're referring to... Dax Crum was a 4 star.... lol
“Being around Colorado State, I saw that football wasn’t really a big sport there," Parker said Sunday night.
WyomingAg
A Real Cowboy

Ole miss Patterson 5 star qb granted ability to transfer.
SLCPoke
Cowpoke

wyoair wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:07 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:55 pm I like the idea of bringing in a graduate QB transfer that can play right away to at least challenge for the starting position heading into next year. Maybe even a JUCO transfer. Increased competition at the QB spot can only be good IMO.

Agreed, I've thought to myself that we should take advantage of that more. I did not realize Wallwork was a transfer. I saw that with UM. Once Russell Wilson did the grad transfer rule, it has really become popular. Look what Boise did with Cozart. Here's a list of possible transfers for next year as well. This was before Speight and Malzone announced. Granted everyone on this list runs spread.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2716 ... bs-in-2017
This was last years list. I think the options that are known are:

Speight- Michigan
Malzone- Michigan
Patterson- Ole Miss