JA publicity effect...

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

First, I'm super excited for Josh, Craig Bohl, and the publicity they brought to WYO. I think overall it is a positive effect. However, when our program was under the microscope, I don't think it was all positive. The narrative quickly developed about the severe lack of talent was dragging Josh down.

Example
"It's no secret, there's nobody on Wyoming that is going to play in the NFL or probably be in an NFL camp," Beane told WGR 550 last month.
Then, there was the article outlining serious concerns about our approach on O.

Again, I'm not being Debbie Downer. Josh was fantastic for WYO and I think Bohl is going to continue to improve the program. I just wonder if the draft process has revealed some major concerns in the post-JA era?
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

If anything, I think this shows that you can get to the pros even from Wyoming. Maybe it even shows that if you're talented, Bohl will develop you to that point and you'll get the chance to shine?

I don't think it's unfair to say that it doesn't look like we have any future NFL players on offense right now, but I do think we'll get some attention again for the next draft because of defensive standouts.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Been liked: 2 times

Well, they're only, finally saying, what we were saying all season long. Receivers can't get open, o-line gets bullied, very few easy passes for Allen, etc.

The year before, Allen had a lot of help, from a lot of guys now in the NFL (come on Bills, try and get Gentry! those two were amazing together!).
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Let's be honest, how long did it take Boise to start regularly producing good NFL talent? It didn't come immediately. This isn't ever going to be a program viewed along with the likes of an Alabama, Ohio State or USC in terms of the amount of NFL talent. It's a different level. If that's hard for you to accept, than sure you have a right to be concerned about the future of the program under Bohl. But in the Mountain West, you don't need a consistent stream of NFL first rounders in order to build a good program. Penny was the first SDSU first round pick since 1998, but they haven't had a problem sustaining that program.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

LOL what an ignorant statement. Ghaifan has top four round potential. Wingard will be drafted, and there are a few other possibilities.

There are real, valid concerns about the offense and the talent available there for next season. I'll concede that, but to say nobody on the roster will make a camp? Trollish comment from Beane.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

Defense does have some really good looking prospects heading into next year that will end up on NFL teams, one way or another.

Offense... Our backup RB and Conway were the only ones, outside of Allen, to consistently show any real production. But Woods was kept in over Overstreet for who knows what reason, and our OC seems rather averse to quick slants and what not. And having 3 true freshmen start on the o-line certainly did not help.
poke_addict
Cowpoke
Been liked: 3 times

The narrative I'm honestly surprised they never used against Josh was how good of a defense Josh had supporting him. With the exception of the Oregon game Josh never had to put up more than 24 points with 8 of those games being 14 or less..

I think Wyoming is doing pretty well with the level of talent on the team. I don't think a lot of you guys have realized this yet but Bohl puts the cream of the crop of his talent on defense. I just saw the NFL.com list of top 150 returning college players Wyoming had 2 players on the list. There were only 4 players total from the MWC.
Wicks
Blog Team

The statement from the Bills GM is accurate in terms of the offense as of now.

On defense, Wyoming has three pro prospects. Carl Granderson (who I have seen on top 100 lists for next draft), Andrew Wingard who I have seen as a 3rd or 4th round pick and Ghaifan who is a possible upper half of the draft pick in 2 years if he continues to develop. '
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 78 times

Wingard and Granderson will get picked in 2019. That will be three straight years Bohl has sent multiple players from Laramie to NFL rosters. It's a process. Most MW schools aren't even on anyone's radar, good or bad.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

Logan Wilson has serious pro potential. Bog, fast, strong and a sure tackler.

I'd add Tyler Hall to the list too. He's going to be a good player. I've heard rumors about the freshmen DBs being super good.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 226 times

I believe Beane was talking about the nfl potential of the offense. From what I’ve seen so far, I tend to agree.

Granderson will be a lock in the top 4 rounds IMO and could be a first rounder with an outstanding combine.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Amazing how we can talk crap about the guys all season long around here, but once an outside source does it, it's a serious crime against humanity!
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 43 times

joshvanklomp wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 7:59 pm Amazing how we can talk crap about the guys all season long around here, but once an outside source does it, it's a serious crime against humanity!
LOL Wyomingites are like Al Bundy. He'll bitch about his family, the wife, etc...but if ANYBODY says the exact same thing he says, he'll beat the crap outta them.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

joshvanklomp wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 7:59 pm Amazing how we can talk crap about the guys all season long around here, but once an outside source does it, it's a serious crime against humanity!
:lol: you aren't wrong
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

I swear we have good players on offense.. Just really bad coaches