Nebraska Fans

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
gopokes1399
Blog Team

I am back from my trip in Lincoln and what a trip it was! The game was phenomenal and to see the Pokes compete like that was impressive. I just wanted to say something to the Nebraska fans that are still coming here. Thank you! I have never met friendlier people in my life than I did in Lincoln. The Big Red faithful are as genuine as they come. On Friday night i took some of the husker fans suggestions and wore gold downtown, and I am glad I did. A number of Husker fans made it a priority to come shake my hand and welcome me to Nebraska, ask me if I needed any suggestions for downtown, asked me about our team, and I got numerous invites to their tailgates for Saturday. On Saturday it was much of the same, we had some family friends who are Nebraska die hards so we went to their tailgate for pregame but a buddy of mine and I decided to check out the tailgate lot and look at some of the set ups they had, while we were walking around a number of groups came up and shook our hands, welcomed us to Lincoln, thanked us for coming, and offered us food and drinks. After the game, it was much of the same. Nebraska fans shook our hands, talked about the game, and thanked us for coming.

I have been to other stadiums before and have never experienced such a kind fan base. It was an experience I will never forget and Memorial Stadium is as gorgeous of a stadium as there is to take in a football game. To be honest, Wyoming fans could learn a thing or too from Nebraska fans. I am not saying Pokes fans are rude, because in general they're not. But Nebraska fans make it a priority to make sure you are welcomed and having a great time. So to Husker nation thank you for making my experience that much better and I will be back when the Pokes come back down to Lincoln in a couple years. I will be cheering you guys on the rest of the season
Pokes Forever
Ranch Hand

I too had an incredible experience.....from the time we arrived to minute we left Lincoln we were treated to true "Huskers Hospitality"! I was not able to get tickets in the Wyo section and was surrounded by a sea of red at the game but was treated with respect as I cheered for the Pokes and was showered with compliments about the way the Cowboys performed...... All were very impressed with Smith and all the Pokes. As we were walking out, there was a large group of Huskers fans that were on the stairs above where the dejected Cowboys were filing into the locker room giving them one final ovation......Class act Lincoln! Go Big Red!
tttgowyo
Ranch Hand

I agree. So many people came up to me to say "Welcome to Lincoln" and "Enjoy your stay". Unreal. Even after the game people coming up to say how amazing #16 was and good luck etc,. What a great trip. I have watched the Pokes in many out of conference games, Texas, Tennessee twice, Ole Miss, Florida, Bowling Green,and Nebraska wins the nicest fan award.

GO POKES!!
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

Wyoming is a welcoming stadium and Nebraska is as well. As many Nebraska fans that were here (i think alot of them were locals or within a few hundred miles of laramie) and as nice as they treat us, we should renew this series every few years. Not every year, but maybe every other or something.
alyssa
A Real Cowboy

Shake their hands but twist their arms.
HuskerLuke
Buckaroo

I am glad you folks enjoyed yourselves. I'm afraid we have our share of jackasses and they seem to concentrate online.
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

HuskerLuke wrote:I am glad you folks enjoyed yourselves. I'm afraid we have our share of jackasses and they seem to concentrate online.
We have our fair share of jackasses too. To tell you the truth, probably only Boise has more in this version of the MWC. San Deigo State has the most ridiculous version of Jackasses in our conference.
gopokes1399
Blog Team

HuskerLuke wrote:I am glad you folks enjoyed yourselves. I'm afraid we have our share of jackasses and they seem to concentrate online.
As does every fan base, overall you guys are some of the best fans I have ever been around and sure know how to tailgate and the atmosphere around lincoln on game day is unlike any other. I am glad I got to be a part of it
wyocowboy2014
A Real Cowboy

I experienced a lot of the same you guys did. Great people and very welcoming. Reminded me of when we played at Ole Miss and I went. It was a fun weekend for sure.
gopokes1399
Blog Team

Ole miss is consistently voted the best tailgate in the country, on my bucket list for sure
alyssa
A Real Cowboy

gopokes1399 wrote:Ole miss is consistently voted the best tailgate in the country, on my bucket list for sure
Yes, you can find some videos on youtube.
SMU modeled their "tailgating" after Ole Miss's The Grove.
You can youtube SMU The Boulevard.
It's much better to me than parking lots.

djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

WyoBrandX wrote:
We have our fair share of jackasses too. To tell you the truth, probably only Boise has more in this version of the MWC. San Deigo State has the most ridiculous version of Jackasses in our conference.
The SDSU online guys are douches. When I went down to the game several years ago in SD, the SDSU fans were great actaully. Very welcoming.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

djm19 wrote:
WyoBrandX wrote:
The SDSU online guys are douches. When I went down to the game several years ago in SD, the SDSU fans were great actaully. Very welcoming.
That's how Boise fans are. Tools online, until you meet them and they are very welcoming. Kept telling us how much they respected our football program.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
wyocowboy2014
A Real Cowboy

Ole miss was amazing. I would highly suggest going.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

I think with fan bases of most programs with ANY success, the fans online take pride in letting everyone know what they have succeeded in, while you go to a game, and the fans their are nothing like the online fans. I am sure there are a few cases where the online fans represent the real life fans (BYU), but normally the a-holes are online and the good, nice fans are at the game.

Especially with all the big programs. I love how most people claim to be fans of certain teams yet have never stepped foot inside that state much less the stadium. Think: Alabama "fans" and Oregon "fans".
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
trouble
Buckaroo

Im glad all of you that came to Lincoln had a good time.

Good luck to you guys the rest of the season. Hopefully that QB of yours can stay healthy and lead the team to 8+ wins! :thumb:
knapplc
Buckaroo

WyoBrandX wrote:Wyoming is a welcoming stadium and Nebraska is as well. As many Nebraska fans that were here (i think alot of them were locals or within a few hundred miles of laramie) and as nice as they treat us, we should renew this series every few years. Not every year, but maybe every other or something.

Glad everyone had a good time, and definitely agree with the underlined.

Although I think we'll wait until Brad Smith graduates before we play you again. And Rufran. :D
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Been liked: 2 times

knapplc wrote:
WyoBrandX wrote:Wyoming is a welcoming stadium and Nebraska is as well. As many Nebraska fans that were here (i think alot of them were locals or within a few hundred miles of laramie) and as nice as they treat us, we should renew this series every few years. Not every year, but maybe every other or something.

Although I think we'll wait until Brad Smith graduates before we play you again. And Rufran. :D
Right now we're offering Brett's younger brother who is looking to be on par, if not better than Brett is. And Jason Thompson (redshirting this year) plays very similarly to Brett, but with a stronger arm and becoming better as well.
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 3 times

knapplc wrote:

Don't worry, Brad Smith is already gone to Buffalo

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/9689/brad-smith" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Lol funny the Nebraska fan called him Brad Smith. Considering Brad Smith did work against Nebraska for DC as well lol.
But yes from everything we have heard about Cade (Brett's little brother) is that he is going to be better. I can't really imagine that right now.
And even if Thompson does grow into a Smith caliber QB, with a stronger arm, that is going to be scary for anyone playing Wyoming.