Does anyone have any pictures of the remodeling at the AA?

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 119 times

TheCup wrote:
McPeachy wrote:
TheCup has access? ;)

Total. I have total access.
I expect more updates then.

Polishing up your resume' for the AD opening, or polished up your resume' for the AD opening? :cool:
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
gopokes1399
Blog Team

Seats are going in this week. Click for larger images
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

gopokes1399 coming through with some nice photos. Keep 'em coming guys.
gopokes1399
Blog Team

[
Last edited by gopokes1399 on Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
wyopig
Ranch Hand

Those screens are huge. I've gotta be honest, I'm surprised they had to take out as many seats as they did to fit them in there though. It seems like they could have pushed them back and raised them closer to the dome ceiling without putting too much structural stress on the dome. I'm no engineer, nor do I design arenas and sight lines, but I just thought they could have accomplished that without taking so many damn seats out of the place. It's amazing that those screens each take up an entire section!
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

As has been state before, sections that have been barely used in the last 10 years. Every bball game I've been to, I don't think I've seen more than 15 people in one of the higher end-court sections. Here's hoping to us being mad in the next couple years because we are consistently selling out the AA and wish we had those extra seats back.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

WestWYOPoke wrote:As has been state before, sections that have been barely used in the last 10 years. Every bball game I've been to, I don't think I've seen more than 15 people in one of the higher end-court sections. Here's hoping to us being mad in the next couple years because we are consistently selling out the AA and wish we had those extra seats back.
Yup. Who cares if once every 15 years we sell out a game. The point here is consistent attendance. If the overall average is higher and remains that way, the remodel is a success.
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

As recently as two years ago (2012-2013 season), Wyoming beat SDSU at home early in conference play in front of nearly 9,700 fans. Lots of people in the upper sections. Wyoming won their first 13 games that season and had reached an AP ranking of 25. This ranking happened after -- and in spite of -- the Martinez incident. What if Martinez had remained on the squad that season? A lot of people thought he was the best all-around player on the team. Would AA attendance figures have continued to grow that year as the success of the team continued? We'll never know, but I'm guessing even larger crowds would have been seen that year.

If Papa Shy has a little more luck on his side moving forward regarding injuries and other assorted extra-curricular activities, we should expect the fans to finally start filling the AA again. That's the hope.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

The last two seasons have both ended due to best overall player on the floor not playing the final 6+ games. We need some really solid no on or off court incidents this year.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

POKE FAN wrote:As recently as two years ago (2012-2013 season), Wyoming beat SDSU at home early in conference play in front of nearly 9,700 fans. Lots of people in the upper sections. Wyoming won their first 13 games that season and had reached an AP ranking of 25. This ranking happened after -- and in spite of -- the Martinez incident. What if Martinez had remained on the squad that season? A lot of people thought he was the best all-around player on the team. Would AA attendance figures have continued to grow that year as the success of the team continued? We'll never know, but I'm guessing even larger crowds would have been seen that year.

If Papa Shy has a little more luck on his side moving forward regarding injuries and other assorted extra-curricular activities, we should expect the fans to finally start filling the AA again. That's the hope.
True, but losing 2 of those upper sections would not have affected attendance one bit for that game. Only difference is a little less elbow room.
wyopig
Ranch Hand

I never said we need the seats. It's just awesome when they're filled. Now we can only fit 13k in there instead of 15k. Nota big deal.

It's interesting to know that I attended the game with the biggest crowd that will ever see a basketball game in Wyoming. Probably the same for football, although that game was a boring loss.
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

WestWYOPoke wrote:
POKE FAN wrote:As recently as two years ago (2012-2013 season), Wyoming beat SDSU at home early in conference play in front of nearly 9,700 fans. Lots of people in the upper sections. Wyoming won their first 13 games that season and had reached an AP ranking of 25. This ranking happened after -- and in spite of -- the Martinez incident. What if Martinez had remained on the squad that season? A lot of people thought he was the best all-around player on the team. Would AA attendance figures have continued to grow that year as the success of the team continued? We'll never know, but I'm guessing even larger crowds would have been seen that year.

True, but losing 2 of those upper sections would not have affected attendance one bit for that game. Only difference is a little less elbow room.
How much larger would the crowds have been had the Pokes continued to win that year, though? To me, that SDSU game was just a starting point and an indication that the fans were (finally) returning to show support for a successful team. Unfortunately, the squad didn't have the depth to recover from the loss of Martinez.

In addition to the two sections lost to the video boards, we will also be losing somewhere around 2.5 upper level sections with the addition of the club area after this next year.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

wyopig wrote:I never said we need the seats. It's just awesome when they're filled. Now we can only fit 13k in there instead of 15k. Nota big deal.

It's interesting to know that I attended the game with the biggest crowd that will ever see a basketball game in Wyoming. Probably the same for football, although that game was a boring loss.
I know. I didn't get to make it to the Utah game, but I was at a couple other sellouts at 15,000. And I've been there when we have had 12,000, believe me the noise level and rowdiness was noticeable.
Same in Football. I remember the stadium literally shaking during the CSU game in 97. I watched a recording of it and the cameras shook during big plays and 3rd downs. It was awesome! And I was there for the AFA game in 96 when we beat the cadets with a crowd of 31,000, it didn't even compare. The same goes for the Virginia game, sellout of 31,117. And when Moore broke that 85 yard td run, it was nowhere near as loud.

We recently had our worst years in basketball (Shroyer years) and football (Koenning years), of course due to the lack of wins our attendance went down. But when we get back to the point of winning we won't have the chance at selling out to capacity crowds, because we thought it best to renovate and downgrade the capacity instead of renovate and maintain our current capacities.
I thought our stadium looked amazing with ends one seats during the Nebraska game. Why not keep them and make them permanent, instead of paying out money for installing and then paying more money to disassemble?

But we can keep hearing the arguement of why keep seats we will never use, or we can understand that when our programs get back to it's winning ways those seats will be used. You know Penn St. is going through a down time in their program and have only averaged 95 to 96,000 the last couple of years, so should the downgrade their seating so they can be back to selling out at 96k instead of 106k? It's a bunch of empty seating not being used. Better renovate and downgrade.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

So, can't wait to see this place, the Taj Mahal on the high plains
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 104 times

Between the remodel and the team that Papa Shy has put together I am more excited for basketball season than I've ever been (and I was in college in the Uche/Bailey/Davis years).
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 119 times

WYO1016 wrote:Between the remodel and the team that Papa Shy has put together I am more excited for basketball season than I've ever been (and I was in college in the Uche/Bailey/Davis years).
Agreed. Hope I like my new seats, as much as I think I will. :)
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
WyoExpat
Cowpoke

WestWYOPoke wrote:

I think the point POKE FAN was trying to make was that the trend in 2012-2013 pointed to 9,700 being less than the attendance at future games.

Those of us who are worried about losing so much seating base our concerns on the fact that the Pokes have such a wide distribution in attendance from the mean depending on how good the team is. Bad teams will still draw horribly. Sadly, the best teams will not be able to draw as many fans to the big, late-season games to offset the low attendance numbers that bad teams and early season games put up.
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

WyoExpat wrote:
WestWYOPoke wrote:

I think the point POKE FAN was trying to make was that the trend in 2012-2013 pointed to 9,700 being less than the attendance at future games.

Those of us who are worried about losing so much seating base our concerns on the fact that the Pokes have such a wide distribution in attendance from the mean depending on how good the team is. Bad teams will still draw horribly. Sadly, the best teams will not be able to draw as many fans to the big, late-season games to offset the low attendance numbers that bad teams and early season games put up.
I found it a little ironic that around the same time we were having this discussion, WNIT put out a tweet with picture acknowledging the 2007 WNIT championship Cowgirls who played in front of 15,462. That was a great atmosphere, also. Gotta give some props to the Cowgirls for outstanding attendance figures in post-season play, too.
https://twitter.com/WomensNIT/status/499955782822014976
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

that sell out against Utah in 2002 to win at the buzzer, man oh man that was a good good day
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster

I'm fortunate, The only games I ever attended at the AA were during up years. It was always referred to as the Dome of Doom and rarely if ever the AA. I'm not sure how well I would have taken the last 20 years of games if I was attending them in person because an empty Arena is really crushing to the players.