The budget is approved.

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

All it needs is a signature from the governor. That includes 20 million for the HATC, 8 million for Corbett, and 4 million(2 million a year) that they're trying to make permanent for the athletics budget.

http://trib.com/news/state-and-regional ... 071cc.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
PokeTransplant
Cowpoke
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 12 times

AFT!!!

Acronym Definition....ABOUT F'ING TIME!!!!

Wyoming has all the resources to be a big time program (aka Nebraska)...it's about time the state recognizes!!!
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 80 times

PokeTransplant wrote:AFT!!!

Acronym Definition....ABOUT F'ING TIME!!!!

Wyoming has all the resources to be a big time program (aka Nebraska)...it's about time the state recognizes!!!
Now the pressure will squarely fall on the coaches and AD. Few excuses remain, except for things that cannot change (weather in Laramie, location, etc.).
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

The boost in athletic budget would be a nice start. If it turns out to be a shot in the arm and not a sustained budget increase, then the impact will be positive but minimal. If it turns out to be a sustained increase in yearly budget, then that will be a good step.

The High Altitude Training Center is interesting. I don't know all the plans with it, but I would try to get top NFL and NBA position coaches (former) and host long summer camps for top high school recruits. Sales pitch = train all summer at 7000K feet with the best coaches and dominate your Senior year.

What is the ultimate plan for the Training Center? More Olympic sport-based? I haven't read the details about it.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

All right! This is great news.
jessejames02
Ranch Hand

Sweet. Now all we need is high speed rail from every small town in Wyo to Laramie so people will show up to Winter games.
52-56
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

I was under the impression the Corbett renovation was put on the back burner. It's good to see that get approved.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

at least we're good in improvements to the facilities...lol
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

I wonder where the vision is on some of this poop - again.

Why not build a better than first-class HATC, that incorporates a couple of Olympic size pools and dive tanks - for UW swimming & diving to use as their facility as well, and demolish Corbett?

So confusing.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

McPeachy wrote:I wonder where the vision is on some of this poop - again.

Why not build a better than first-class HATC, that incorporates a couple of Olympic size pools and dive tanks - for UW swimming & diving to use as their facility as well, and demolish Corbett?

So confusing.
That makes sense, but is there room for a swimming pool were the RAC is? I'm assuming they are just going to expand the RAC into the parking lot.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote:

So confusing.
That makes sense, but is there room for a swimming pool were the RAC is? I'm assuming they are just going to expand the RAC into the parking lot.
From what I've gathered, the RAC will be expanded to the north endzone stopping short of the War Memorial.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote:

So confusing.

I thought about that...we have the old tailgate park on Grand (next to Corbett) - and Corbett itself, that could be utilized better, and we have a huge piece of grass North of the RAC that just sits there and takes up water and mowing time (with a parking lot that is relatively useless space). There are other options as well, just not as "close" to the current facilities.
Dear Karma,

Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

My impression is that the high altitude training center will be more weight room/training table/medical facilities/technology/offices and if some swim team comes to train at altitude they'll use both that and Corbett.

I'm more excited about the budget money though. When Sternberg called Burman's b.s. and made him release a dollar amount to be competitive Burman said he needed 4 million to the budget. That was before full cost of attendance was passed by the NCAA. Now, full cost of attendance is needed in addition to the 4 million. That 4 million I believe is split up into 2 million chunks for each year of the budget and I believe it's matching funds. To me, it looks like 4 million will be the yearly amount added to the budget, which still leaves us short on what we need to be competitive.

It's a damn blessing to get that much from the state though. That should really help with recruiting budget and hopefully scheduling.

National Champions 1943.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

I do.
Cuttslam
WyoNation Addict

So confusing.
Amazing in one post you have more vision than the mindless AD department.
I BLEED BROWN AND GOLD.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

So confusing.
Because if any swimmers want to train at altitude, they will go to the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs that USA swimming utilizes for all such camps. Having a giant swimming complex here would go relatively unused. Alluding to what Cowboy Junky put, by renovating Corbett, those facilities will be nice enough that if anyone would want to come here, they can use that; put that money into other aspects of the HATC where it will be more useful in the future.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

WestWYOPoke wrote:

So confusing.
Because if any swimmers want to train at altitude, they will go to the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs that USA swimming utilizes for all such camps. Having a giant swimming complex here would go relatively unused. Alluding to what Cowboy Junky put, by renovating Corbett, those facilities will be nice enough that if anyone would want to come here, they can use that; put that money into other aspects of the HATC where it will be more useful in the future.
Not true.

I spoke with TJ more than 10 years ago about UW building a high altitude swimming & diving complex to replace the current Corbett - which would serve as the home of UW swimming (as well as a training facility for others), and his thoughts were that if it happened, the revenue from non-UW / off season training would pay for the facility, and then some, in a very short amount of time.

The cost to train at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, and the lack of availability, paired with rough accessibility to many...well...you get it.

An example: What if the Casper Natrona swim team wanted to spend a couple of weeks training at altitude...they would have that opportunity in Laramie, not in Colorado Springs.
Dear Karma,

cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

With the new high school being built as we speak, Corbett will be the 3rd best pool in Laramie. Something needs to get done quickly, it's embarrassing...
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

The plan for Corbett is pretty sweet. The photos are in the athletics plan. It looks great. I don't know if we need a full on aquatics center with a couple of pools. One full sized pool is enough. We need to spend that money elsewhere, like renovating the west side of the War and looking at possibly enclosing the end zone.

National Champions 1943.

I do.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Cowboy Junky wrote:The plan for Corbett is pretty sweet. The photos are in the athletics plan. It looks great. I don't know if we need a full on aquatics center with a couple of pools. One full sized pool is enough. We need to spend that money elsewhere, like renovating the west side of the War and looking at possibly enclosing the end zone.
Got a link to some photos?
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

Cowboy Junky wrote:The plan for Corbett is pretty sweet. The photos are in the athletics plan. It looks great. I don't know if we need a full on aquatics center with a couple of pools. One full sized pool is enough. We need to spend that money elsewhere, like renovating the west side of the War and looking at possibly enclosing the end zone.
Junky...I like you man, you are all Cowboy Fan - through and through.

But, from this post, I think that you are short-timing things. Meaning, "hey we only have so much to spend, so let's spend it here instead of here". I disagree with that that - I think we need to avoid half-assing something, just to afford half-assing something else. We need to raise the money, and do things right, the first time. A prime example...the Wildcatter. Why on god's green earth they didn't take that son of a bitch to the edges to gain 2 more suites is beyond me, and a travesty.
Dear Karma,