A good omen for NCAA tournament Cowboys,

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
Coeur d' Alene
Cowpoke

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:
Cosmic Cowboy wrote:Well I don't know about you guys but I wouldn't even be that disappointed if this team finished last in the MWC. I'm still HIGH off that NCAA and MWC tourney run we got last year. I know it takes time so I'm super patient with this squad, Shyatt & company have earned that patience from me for a good 3 to 4 years :twocents: .....I don't think that's gonna happen though we'll probably be at least mid tier this year. It's definitely like a mysterious brown n gold present just waiting to be opened.????????????? CAN'T WAIT! I hope we are a hard dunking team...I LOVE THAT poop.

f-word YES JOSH ADAMS senior year!!!! WYO LEGEND.
I too am stoked for this year coming off that huge run last season but I would be greatly disappointed if we finish anywhere south of 3rd. I am pour shots of cool aid for anyone who's thirsty!!! I don't think we see a drop off this season. I think we shift gears and run run run this season. We shoot butt loads of threes and play staunch defense. Josh Adams believes they can win again and so do I!!
I hope you're right and they speed up the pace this year. In terms of being physically advantaged athletically I think it will all come down to if they play Adams and Marshall as 1 and 2's or 2 and 3's. Justin James being a key player might be the key to this years team.
Coeur d' Alene
Cowpoke

Cowboy Junky wrote:The roster doesn't have many holes. You could see the need for a tall guard. Ill bet Parker Stewart will be a 2017 top priority.
Can you explain this kids connection to UW? Was his dad an assistant w bball or something else, and when did he live in Laramie. How old was the kid
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

Coeur d' Alene wrote:
Cowboy Junky wrote:The roster doesn't have many holes. You could see the need for a tall guard. Ill bet Parker Stewart will be a 2017 top priority.
Can you explain this kids connection to UW? Was his dad an assistant w bball or something else, and when did he live in Laramie. How old was the kid
Anthony Stewart is his father. He was an assistant basketball coach for Wyoming from 2008-2011. So Parker lived in Laramie when he was about 9-13 years old.

http://www.gowyo.com/sports/m-baskbl/mt ... ony00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

not to mention we'll have a POY in the MWC in one Mr. Josh Adams!!!! cmon Pokes
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

kansasCowboy wrote:
seattlecowboy wrote:Yeah we do look bigger and more muscular across the board. Even the guards look bigger. Conway looks even bigger than I thought he was in his arms and legs. The only one who looks thin really is Dalton but he is tall and can hit the 3 ball.

Think this will be a team that is extremely talented but young and they will be a team that you will notice gets a lot better with each game. Might be some growing pains here and there early in the season but as the season progresses they will get better and better and will be a tough out by MWC tournament time.
Conway was recruited for football at one point in his career. He just stopped growing in height, so he decided to go the basketball route. He's an athlete.

This team is REALLY talented, but we are also RAW. Just like the football team. We are going to have a bunch of first timers out there. We will still need to grow and bond as a team in game time experience.

But I agree that this team has massive potential.
Just like the football team lol you f-word kill me Kansas...
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

BeaverPoke wrote:
kansasCowboy wrote:
seattlecowboy wrote:Yeah we do look bigger and more muscular across the board. Even the guards look bigger. Conway looks even bigger than I thought he was in his arms and legs. The only one who looks thin really is Dalton but he is tall and can hit the 3 ball.

Think this will be a team that is extremely talented but young and they will be a team that you will notice gets a lot better with each game. Might be some growing pains here and there early in the season but as the season progresses they will get better and better and will be a tough out by MWC tournament time.
Conway was recruited for football at one point in his career. He just stopped growing in height, so he decided to go the basketball route. He's an athlete.

This team is REALLY talented, but we are also RAW. Just like the football team. We are going to have a bunch of first timers out there. We will still need to grow and bond as a team in game time experience.

Yep! Just like football.

You keep thinking that NCAA tourney or bust! Mantra.

I'll keep think Raw potential 14-17 wins this year.

And by the end of the year you'll probably have pissed yourself off with your lofty expectations. And I'll just continue to be excited!

I guess that's the way it is though.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

kansasCowboy wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:
kansasCowboy wrote:

Yep! Just like football.

You keep thinking that NCAA tourney or bust! Mantra.

I'll keep think Raw potential 14-17 wins this year.

And by the end of the year you'll probably have pissed yourself off with your lofty expectations. And I'll just continue to be excited!

I guess that's the way it is though.
Are you saying you'll be excited if this team only wins 14 games?

Personally, and I think a lot on this board would agree, 14 wins (anything less than 20 wins) would be not only a huge disappointment but a huge regression. Like you said, just like football.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

LOL 14 wins. Yep, Coach Shyatt is going to have a losing record with his recruits hahaha.

The guy who won 20 games a year for the 1st two years he was back with Schroyers guys, who won 10 games a year for the two years before Shyatt came back, is going to win 14 games with his own guys.

Guys that have been part of the Shyatt system their entire D1 careers. Guys that have been members of a MWC Championship team, guys that have been members of an NCAA Tourney team. Lead by Josh Adams, an All-MWC player, and likely candidate for POY. THOSE guys are going to have a losing record.

Gotchya!
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 142 times

I think, as Wyoming fans, we shouldn't get too excited. Seems to be when we're most disappointed. I am excited to see what the new kids can do.
W-Y, Until I Die!
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

laxwyo wrote:I think, as Wyoming fans, we shouldn't get too excited. Seems to be when we're most disappointed. I am excited to see what the new kids can do.
Fortunately, Shyatt is building a program that has actual expectations.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

I am probably closer to Kansas's expectations than Beaver's. I look at that schedule and I see 17-18 wins. I think this will be a BIG growing/learning year. If we progress more than I expect, we might tack on 3 or 4 more wins by the end of the season. I hope I'm wrong and Papa Shy has the boys in contention late, but I don't see us being at the top this season, BUT also not near the bottom either.
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

I think 20-24, depending on how many of the guys turn out to be ready to play and contribute now. The deeper we can go onto the bench the better off we will be.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

BeaverPoke wrote:LOL 14 wins. Yep, Coach Shyatt is going to have a losing record with his recruits hahaha.

The guy who won 20 games a year for the 1st two years he was back with Schroyers guys, who won 10 games a year for the two years before Shyatt came back, is going to win 14 games with his own guys.

Guys that have been part of the Shyatt system their entire D1 careers. Guys that have been members of a MWC Championship team, guys that have been members of an NCAA Tourney team. Lead by Josh Adams, an All-MWC player, and likely candidate for POY. THOSE guys are going to have a losing record.

Gotchya!
I see, we go to the NCAA and everyone is back on the bandwagon. Well that's all well and good but, and this is a big BUT, how many teams make it back to the NCAA tourney after losing 4 of 5 starters?
We have one baller- Adams, only guy comig back that avged double digit scoring.
One tall lanky shooter- Herndon, he has a lot of questions around him. Like, will he keep any weight on him? Will he ba able to bang for boards? Will his shot selection be a little better?
One tall bulky body- Barnes, played extremely sparingly last year. He is another unknown.
One average size sixth man- MCM, again average player. Won't be a star, unless he banks in threes all game long every game...
A couple sharp shooters- Leibs and Gorski, both showed some positives last year but both showed some handicaps as well. Again, lots on questions.
A group of unproven incoming Frosh- Conway, James, etc. Even Nance didn't become a star his Frosh year, what makes you think these guys are any better? I see A LOT of potential on this class, but also youth and inexperience.

And so with that coming back and coming in this year some of you think this very young team can even come close to matching last years results which we obtained with a VETERAN squad???

Not to mention, last years schedule was INSANELY WEAK in OOC play. This years is a bit stronger. Did any of you actually take anything listed above here under consideration?

20 wins, 20-24 wins, NCAA tourney, NIT tourney at the "very least"?!

Okay.

Yeah, I'll be excited if this young team grows together and gets 14 to 17 wins. And if I'm wrong... I guess I can be even more excited because we may be better.
But if I'm right, you all will be crying...
Everything I've seen from magazines to online has us predicted no higher than 7th in the league. So it's pretty obvious I'm not the only one to think this.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Our returning players played a total of 243 minutes in the Mountain West and NCAA Tournament games. Josh Adams played 160 of those 243 minutes.

I'll wait and see with this team.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

kansasCowboy wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:LOL 14 wins. Yep, Coach Shyatt is going to have a losing record with his recruits hahaha.

Gotchya!
I see, we go to the NCAA and everyone is back on the bandwagon. Well that's all well and good but, and this is a big BUT, how many teams make it back to the NCAA tourney after losing 4 of 5 starters?
One tall lanky shooter- Herndon, he has a lot of questions around him. Like, will he keep any weight on him? Will he ba able to bang for boards? Will his shot selection be a little better?
One tall bulky body- Barnes, played extremely sparingly last year. He is another unknown.
One average size sixth man- MCM, again average player. Won't be a star, unless he banks in threes all game long every game...
A couple sharp shooters- Leibs and Gorski, both showed some positives last year but both showed some handicaps as well. Again, lots on questions.
A group of unproven incoming Frosh- Conway, James, etc. Even Nance didn't become a star his Frosh year, what makes you think these guys are any better? I see A LOT of potential on this class, but also youth and inexperience.

And so with that coming back and coming in this year some of you think this very young team can even come close to matching last years results which we obtained with a VETERAN squad???

Not to mention, last years schedule was INSANELY WEAK in OOC play. This years is a bit stronger. Did any of you actually take anything listed above here under consideration?

Okay.

Yeah, I'll be excited if this young team grows together and gets 14 to 17 wins. And if I'm wrong... I guess I can be even more excited because we may be better.
Everything I've seen from magazines to online has us predicted no higher than 7th in the league. So it's pretty obvious I'm not the only one to think this.
Yep. Some of the same people that we're saying Wyoming's season was over last year when our post got mono are now expecting a team with three upper-classmen to win 20-25 games. I guess our lack of a "real offense" didn't keep us from winning the MWC tournament with two guys recovering from mono.

I know we have a lot of talent on the roster, but it's "undeveloped" talent in a developmental program. This team has potential but it's potential that's unrealized and will remain that way until it has significant game experience.

That's all right. Some of these same guys will jump ship as soon as Trey Washington posts something they don't like on twitter.

National Champions 1943.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

I do.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

Cowboy Junky wrote:
kansasCowboy wrote:

Gotchya!

Okay.

Yep. Some of the same people that we're saying Wyoming's season was over last year when our post got mono are now expecting a team with three upper-classmen to win 20-25 games. I guess our lack of a "real offense" didn't keep us from winning the MWC tournament with two guys recovering from mono.

I know we have a lot of talent on the roster, but it's "undeveloped" talent in a developmental program. This team has potential but it's potential that's unrealized and will remain that way until it has significant game experience.

That's all right. Some of these same guys will jump ship as soon as Trey Washington posts something they don't like on twitter.
:rofl: Bound to happen
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Haha you people are funny. Were going to grill Bohl because he wants "Cowboy Tough" and that means he should be winning games today, theres no excuse for losing and rebuilding. Even though he has no track record of success, he should be winning every game and as fans were not going to give him a break.
THEN, with Shyatt and basketball, after our most successful season in a decade, and its all, well, were gonna take it slow and temper expectations. Lets shoot for 14 wins and that will be good enough. This team is young and inexperienced and needs time to grow and meld (sounds a lot like the football team....) and that won't be this season. 14 WINS!!! That is worse than an 0-12 season in football. Any step back lower than 3rd is a wasted season and a huge disappointment. The people on this board sometimes really blow my mind.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:Haha you people are funny. Were going to grill Bohl because he wants "Cowboy Tough" and that means he should be winning games today, theres no excuse for losing and rebuilding. Even though he has no track record of success, he should be winning every game and as fans were not going to give him a break.
THEN, with Shyatt and basketball, after our most successful season in a decade, and its all, well, were gonna take it slow and temper expectations. Lets shoot for 14 wins and that will be good enough. This team is young and inexperienced and needs time to grow and meld (sounds a lot like the football team....) and that won't be this season. 14 WINS!!! That is worse than an 0-12 season in football. Any step back lower than 3rd is a wasted season and a huge disappointment. The people on this board sometimes really blow my mind.
I'm not grilling Bohl. I realize he's transitioning from a team that was small, slow, and not all that strong to a big, strong, and fast smash mouth football team. I realize that until we have guys that are big, strong and fast our smash mouth football team is going to get ass hammered by FCS teams. That's just reality.

Shyatt won 20 games every year he's been back, but he's had veterans to do it with. His first year back he had Adam, Jaydee, and Paco.....This year he's got ONE senior, although that one senior is a bad ass, I'm guessing he's going to be double teamed all year long.

I don't think anyone is shooting for 14 wins. We're just tempering our expectations to fit the roster we have. Right now we have one of, if not the youngest team in college basketball. There are 12 freshmen or sophomores on a roster of 15. That tells me that we might not have the time in the developmental program necessary to win 25 games.

I really do believe our roster is capable of winning NCAA tournament games, or I wouldn't have posted this thread. The last two teams we've had with talent and big physical post players won games in the big dance. I just think it would close to a miracle if it happens this year. Hopefully, I'm wrong, but I'm not going to scream and cry and insult Larry Shyatt if it doesn't happen. I believe in his system and that system is "developmental" with 12 players that have had very little of Shy's development to date. That's not anyones fault. It's just the situation we're in.

Even the Dembo team had to wait until they we're sophomores until they experienced post-season success and that success wasn't in the NCAA. It started in the NIT. Their junior and senior years was in the NCAA tourney. The same can be said with the Bailey/Davis/Uche squad. They didn't have post-season success until the majority of the roster was upper-classmen and Steve McClain wasn't a developmental coach: he was a quick fix, j.c. transfer, out-talent the other team type of coach.

Hopefully the players will prove me wrong, but I'm not going to stop supporting them or blow up social media when my 25 win, unrealistic expectations aren't met.

National Champions 1943.

I do.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:Haha you people are funny. Were going to grill Bohl because he wants "Cowboy Tough" and that means he should be winning games today, theres no excuse for losing and rebuilding. Even though he has no track record of success, he should be winning every game and as fans were not going to give him a break.
I view this years bball team very similar to this years fball team. A LOT of young raw talent that has the potential to grow into another winning effort in both sports.
Translation: ratio between upperclassmen to lower in football... There is a Gap

Translation: ratio. Between upperclassmen to lower in basketball... There is a Gap.

Why? Because most of Schroyers players jumped ship during the coaching change, add in attrition each year and you have a young unknown team on the court.

Why? Because a lot of key players under DC jumped ship during the coaching change, add in attrition the last two years and you have a young unknown team on the field.

Really people, it's not hard to add 1+1 and equal 2...
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Cowboy Junky wrote:
I'm not grilling Bohl. I realize he's transitioning from a team that was small, slow, and not all that strong to a big, strong, and fast smash mouth football team. I realize that until we have guys that are big, strong and fast our smash mouth football team is going to get ass hammered by FCS teams. That's just reality.

Shyatt won 20 games every year he's been back, but he's had veterans to do it with. His first year back he had Adam, Jaydee, and Paco.....This year he's got ONE senior, although that one senior is a bad ass, I'm guessing he's going to be double teamed all year long.

I don't think anyone is shooting for 14 wins. We're just tempering our expectations to fit the roster we have. Right now we have one of, if not the youngest team in college basketball. There are 12 freshmen or sophomores on a roster of 15. That tells me that we might not have the time in the developmental program necessary to win 25 games.

I really do believe our roster is capable of winning NCAA tournament games, or I wouldn't have posted this thread. The last two teams we've had with talent and big physical post players won games in the big dance. I just think it would close to a miracle if it happens this year. Hopefully, I'm wrong, but I'm not going to scream and cry and insult Larry Shyatt if it doesn't happen. I believe in his system and that system is "developmental" with 12 players that have had very little of Shy's development to date. That's not anyones fault. It's just the situation we're in.

Even the Dembo team had to wait until they we're sophomores until they experienced post-season success and that success wasn't in the NCAA. It started in the NIT. Their junior and senior years was in the NCAA tourney. The same can be said with the Bailey/Davis/Uche squad. They didn't have post-season success until the majority of the roster was upper-classmen and Steve McClain wasn't a developmental coach: he was a quick fix, j.c. transfer, out-talent the other team type of coach.

Hopefully the players will prove me wrong, but I'm not going to stop supporting them or blow up social media when my 25 win, unrealistic expectations aren't met.
Cant it be said that this is, hands down, the best roster (on paper) that Shyatt has had in his second stint here? Seniors or not? Outside of Nance, did we not add players at the skill level or higher at each position lost? I understand that we cannot replace "game experience" but shooting is shooting is shooting. These kids have been shooting the basketball their entire lives. Now its just finding their place in the flow of the game. I look at this roster and say for the first time since Shyatt came back, were not looking at a roster of guys that COULD be good in time and will have to adjust to the game but a roster that has GREAT basketball players who's only challenge will be adjusting to the speed at his level. :twocents:

I just don't see as big as a drop off as others do. I guess we'll just have to see in the next couple months.