Source "95% certain" transfers will soon be allowed to play immediately

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 75 times

Been thinking a lot about this since this report surfaced yesterday. The people I've talked to who are in favor are also fans of major P5 schools who stand to benefit from a free-for-all situation where players jump from smaller schools after one good season. I'm of the opinion that this will very much hurt schools like Wyoming. The system as it stands is by no means perfect, but this alternative could mean the complete destruction of competitive balance in college athletics, basketball especially. Thoughts?

https://twitter.com/ESPN_Schick/status/ ... 3866277888
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

The only way I see this being positive is if they limit it to coaches leaving. I have always been a proponent if a recruiting class shows up on campus only to see in a week that the staff who recruited them has left for a different opportunity, the kids should not be held to their commitment and can transfer with no sitting period.

This, as it is explained, will be awful for teams like Wyoming and conferences like the MW. JJ has a monster year and gets poached by Florida. Big name school, big name conference, bigger opportunities, closer to home. It will happen. Big schools "miss" on guys all the time and this will now give them an opportunity to cut "dead weight" schollys and recruit guys they undervalued.

THIS WONT BE GOOD
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 75 times

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:01 am The only way I see this being positive is if they limit it to coaches leaving. I have always been a proponent if a recruiting class shows up on campus only to see in a week that the staff who recruited them has left for a different opportunity, the kids should not be held to their commitment and can transfer with no sitting period.

This, as it is explained, will be awful for teams like Wyoming and conferences like the MW. JJ has a monster year and gets poached by Florida. Big name school, big name conference, bigger opportunities, closer to home. It will happen. Big schools "miss" on guys all the time and this will now give them an opportunity to cut "dead weight" schollys and recruit guys they undervalued.

THIS WONT BE GOOD
Couldn't agree more. I've been running through all the players Wyoming could have lost over the years under this scenario. And you know that legal or not, the big schools will be recruiting players from smaller ones under the table and making all kinds of promises about playing time to convince them to transfer. The G5/Mid -Major schools will have become a de facto farm system for the big dogs.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Poke in New England wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:11 am
ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:01 am The only way I see this being positive is if they limit it to coaches leaving. I have always been a proponent if a recruiting class shows up on campus only to see in a week that the staff who recruited them has left for a different opportunity, the kids should not be held to their commitment and can transfer with no sitting period.

THIS WONT BE GOOD
Couldn't agree more. I've been running through all the players Wyoming could have lost over the years under this scenario. And you know that legal or not, the big schools will be recruiting players from smaller ones under the table and making all kinds of promises about playing time to convince them to transfer. The G5/Mid -Major schools will have become a de facto farm system for the big dogs.
I think you'll see the big guys stashing guys at schools too. You'll see teams tell players, "go play a year, 2 years at a G5 School and then your junior year we'll have a spot for you." This cannot end well.
Wicks
Blog Team
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

There has been a lot of talk about this but I don'y know how the Group of 5 conferences could let this rule change pass. It would be an absolute disaster for a school like Wyoming. A player could come here be productive for a year or two and then jump ship to a power school. This would be terrible for college football even if they put a grade point requirement on it as it currently rumored.
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

I think the only way this can work well for everyone is to allow "trading." If a player wants to leave Wyoming for Cal, then Cal needs to provide a replacement to Wyoming. Then the transfer can be okay'd.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

How about if a player can't stand where he is an wants to leave he is putout as a "free agent" and other teams have the option to "bid" for him. He just doesn't go where he wants or to his best option of who will accept him. The NCAA would have to work out what the bidding terms are. Of course he may end up worse off than he was.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

On a side note, Jordan Caroline may be one of the best players I’ve ever seen... he’s legit

Ooops sorry wrong thread