2/21 Games

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

UNLV, although talented was very young this year. I think Rice will have another one or two years to prove he can win at his alma mater.
Neal, everybody knew UNM was going to rebuild this year, they just didn't know at what cost. Is there a chance of a losing season there this year? Yeah, does that mean they let Neal go in year two, not so much.
Shoot, Fresno's coach has a better chance of losing his job than these two do.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Neal, yeah he'll get another year or two. Rice (UNLV), despite have highly rated recruiting classes each year, his number of wins continues to slide down. He also cannot seem to hold on to some of his best players for more than a year or two before they declare.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

I doubt Neal will get fired - at least until after his son graduates. D. Rice needs to rethink his recruiting strategy. He gets good recruits, but are they team players? Maybe it's just the way he coaches them.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

cali2wyo wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:
cali2wyo wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:I don't think Rice or Neal make it past this season.

Maybe I am too quick on Neal but I just don't think he is ready to lead a program like New Mexico.

They haven't had a losing streak this bad since 1970-1971. 44 seasons. New Mexico hasn't played this bad in literally, almost half a century.

And Rice, we all know the issues there.
You're referring to Dave, correct? Not Leon?
Nope, I think Leon is getting fired. :whistle:
No need to be an ass. All you said was you think they were leaving. That could mean getting fired, it could mean finding a new landing spot. Is there a chance Dave rice gets fired? Sure. Is there a chance Leon rice is coaching somewhere not called Boise next season? I think so.
You're right Leon could be moving on to a better job, but in all fairness I did say "And Rice, we all know the issues there".

Hell, if I was UNLV I would fire Dave and try to hire Leon. Or Alford if he gets fired from UCLA after year 2.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

I wouldn't be so quick to assume Leon Rice will leave after this season. He turned down his alma mater at Washington State last spring, and he's got two top recruits coming in next fall. Not saying it is for sure he stays, but I don't think Leon will be easily lured elsewhere. Rumor is he's holding out until the Gonzaga job comes open.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

J-Rod wrote:I wouldn't be so quick to assume Leon Rice will leave after this season. He turned down his alma mater at Washington State last spring, and he's got two top recruits coming in next fall. Not saying it is for sure he stays, but I don't think Leon will be easily lured elsewhere. Rumor is he's holding out until the Gonzaga job comes open.
Interesting. Where did you hear that rumor?

I wonder what his ceiling at Boise in the MWC is? If the MWC gets back to where it was a couple years ago, Boise might become a very good basketball school, instead of a football school with a couple good years of hoops.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

BeaverPoke wrote: Interesting. Where did you hear that rumor?

I wonder what his ceiling at Boise in the MWC is? If the MWC gets back to where it was a couple years ago, Boise might become a very good basketball school, instead of a football school with a couple good years of hoops.
Rice came to Boise from Gonzaga as an assistant. He's from the eastern part of Washington, and rumor is his dream job is to take over for his mentor Mark Few in the next 3-6 years.

Boise landed Paris Austin, which is looking like a shock commit now. Some people get lucky with that early signing period. Boise should be pretty good in basketball going forward, but I think "how" good depends on whether New Mexico and UNLV reemerge as powers soon. And the Cowboys of course...

Getting Drmic back as a 9th-year senior will help the blow of losing Marks next season.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

J-Rod wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote: Interesting. Where did you hear that rumor?

Rice came to Boise from Gonzaga as an assistant. He's from the eastern part of Washington, and rumor is his dream job is to take over for his mentor Mark Few in the next 3-6 years.

Boise landed Paris Austin, which is looking like a shock commit now. Some people get lucky with that early signing period. Boise should be pretty good in basketball going forward, but I think "how" good depends on whether New Mexico and UNLV reemerge as powers soon. And the Cowboys of course...

Getting Drmic back as a 9th-year senior will help the blow of losing Marks next season.
Don't worry, we will have our own 9th year senior in Adams. Pretty sure the rest of the MWC will be saying the same thing about Adams as we are about Drimic. "He's STILL in college???"

But with an 18 game MWC schedule, does that allow the MWC to have 5 or 6 NCAA Tourney type teams?
Let's say in a good year that Wyo, SDSU, NM, Boise, CSU, and UNLV all go between 11-2 and 13-0 in OOC play, but after 18 games, where we all play eachother twice (for the most part), can we get 5 or 6 teams in the Dance? Or will there be too much beating up on eachother? A MWC team that goes 13-0 in OOC play will have to have some pretty big wins to make the dance as a 10-8 team in conference play.

I think the 16 game schedule allows for the most success simply because the teams aren't beating eachother up in conference play, and can get more wins out of conference.

With that said, can the MWC become a real power in hoops or will we be freaking out about getting a 7th loss on the season every year from now on?
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

We can and probably win beat UNM at the Pit for the 1st time in quite awhile, they are a trainwreck, and I think we should get UNLV as they are struggling as well. Can't wait for the Fresno game but wouldn't you know Feb has been so nice the end is where the weather comes into play...darn it
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

Personally I think to many of you think about Wyoming when you consider how good a HC is doing and where they might be next year. Most of these are the if he doesn't fix it in 3-4 years get rid of him thoughts and that's how Wyoming is but not how everyone is.

I don't think any coach is out the door yet but the closest is definitely Carter he has been there for a while and done nothing. 1-2 more years for Rice and Terry ad Wojcik got a total poop show team I don't think they get rid of him after 1-2 years.