2016-2017 Wyoming Basketball Articles/Videos/Tweets

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
Cosmic Cowboy
A Real Cowboy

POKE FAN wrote:Inside Wyoming Basketball (2016-17 Season - Episode 2) -- Wyo-Vision

The second episode of Inside Wyoming Basketball with Allen Edwards for the 2016-17 season. (Original Air Date: 1-11-17)

Awesome post and episode!!! Thanks POKE FAN, you do a lot of good posting on this site. Our fans need to see this. The interview with Dalton is great and totally believe him when he says he doesn't care if he starts. This team seems very unselfish which makes them even more dangerous. I think something good is brewing in Laramie.
Riding High!!!
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

Cosmic Cowboy wrote: Awesome post and episode!!! Thanks POKE FAN, you do a lot of good posting on this site. Our fans need to see this. The interview with Dalton is great and totally believe him when he says he doesn't care if he starts. This team seems very unselfish which makes them even more dangerous. I think something good is brewing in Laramie.
Thanks for the words, Cosmic. I know Dalton says that he and Justin don't mind coming off the bench, but I don't know of any highly competitive athletes who wouldn't want to start, given the opportunity. There are some of us who get a little edgy seeing those two sitting the first 4-6 minutes of each half with what they can bring to the table. Hayden is a rebounding machine and an unselfish offensive threat with the ball in his hands. Plus, he's an outstanding free throw shooter this year. More minutes = more good things happening for the Pokes.
Last edited by POKE FAN on Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

Cowboy Basketball defeats Utah State 95-87 (Wyo-Vision)

The Wyoming Cowboys defeated the Utah State Aggies on Wednesday night in the Arena Auditorium where five players scored in double figures.

LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

POKE FAN wrote:
Cosmic Cowboy wrote: Awesome post and episode!!! Thanks POKE FAN, you do a lot of good posting on this site. Our fans need to see this. The interview with Dalton is great and totally believe him when he says he doesn't care if he starts. This team seems very unselfish which makes them even more dangerous. I think something good is brewing in Laramie.
Thanks for the words, Cosmic. I know Dalton says that he and Justin don't mind coming off the bench, but I don't know of any highly competitive athletes who wouldn't want to start, given the opportunity. There are some of us who get a little edgy seeing those two sitting the first 4-6 minutes of each half with what they can bring to the table. Hayden is a rebounding machine and an unselfish offensive threat with the ball in his hands. Plus, he's a an outstanding free throw shooter this year. More minutes = more good things happening for the Pokes.
That's a crazy concept, but it just might work. Someone should tell the coaches ASAP!

Seriously, is it possible that the coaches can't tell who the best players are?
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

A good interview with a little towing the company line there. There is no way any elite athlete, any elite competitor is wants to sit instead of starting. They understand this is currently their roles on the team and are more than willing to do what helps, but guaranteed they want to start.

I view Dalton sitting the bench as absurd as sitting Josh Adams last season. I think Dalton is that vital to our success. At this point, with the struggles of some, I would start Dalton over Herndon and JJ over JMac. I know JMac is a senior but man he is struggling and in some instances hurting our winning chances. Just a thought.
Cosmic Cowboy
A Real Cowboy

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:A good interview with a little towing the company line there. There is no way any elite athlete, any elite competitor is wants to sit instead of starting. They understand this is currently their roles on the team and are more than willing to do what helps, but guaranteed they want to start.

I view Dalton sitting the bench as absurd as sitting Josh Adams last season. I think Dalton is that vital to our success. At this point, with the struggles of some, I would start Dalton over Herndon and JJ over JMac. I know JMac is a senior but man he is struggling and in some instances hurting our winning chances. Just a thought.
I know not starting our best is foreign and weird to me too but I still kinda of like this look. If the current starters can hang with who they play it doesn't seem like the end of the world. The team establishes itself and then poof you throw gas on the fire with our power bench :fuel: I trust the staff and just look at the minutes. Once Dalton//JJ hit the court they tend to stay on, it's not like the PT is just gone.
I agree on limiting minutes for anybody that is outta form. This team has enough talent that if someone is in a funk then limit their court time. With this much depth you need to earn PT. I'm a fan of the whole squad and am interested when anyone of them hits the court. Its nice having a trust factor if guys get in foul trouble or are in a funk that the next man up will cover to his best. I know we got some :hater: :hater: :hater:'s out there for certain guys and its not all unwarranted, but just look at eternal whipping boys Liebs and Kelly's last few games...those dudes have been bringing it too.
Riding High!!!
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Cosmic Cowboy wrote:
ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:A good interview with a little towing the company line there. There is no way any elite athlete, any elite competitor is wants to sit instead of starting. They understand this is currently their roles on the team and are more than willing to do what helps, but guaranteed they want to start.

I know not starting our best is foreign and weird to me too but I still kinda of like this look. If the current starters can hang with who they play it doesn't seem like the end of the world. The team establishes itself and then poof you throw gas on the fire with our power bench :fuel: I trust the staff and just look at the minutes. Once Dalton//JJ hit the court they tend to stay on, it's not like the PT is just gone.
I agree on limiting minutes for anybody that is outta form. This team has enough talent that if someone is in a funk then limit their court time. With this much depth you need to earn PT. I'm a fan of the whole squad and am interested when anyone of them hits the court. Its nice having a trust factor if guys get in foul trouble or are in a funk that the next man up will cover to his best. I know we got some :hater: :hater: :hater:'s out there for certain guys and its not all unwarranted, but just look at eternal whipping boys Liebs and Kelly's last few games...those dudes have been bringing it too.
I have been as hard on those two as anyone and have been really impressed by their improved play in conference. Their play has been a huge relief and has made the decreased minutes of Dalton and JJ sting a little less. Only a little. I would still never take either of them OVER JJ.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

To bolster your point, if you look at the advanced stats on sports-reference (lies, damn lies, and statistics I know, but still) they have categories for Win Shares and Adjusted Plus/Minus. These aren't perfect stats since they are just calculated from box scores (not like some of the analytics they have in the NBA with actual floor data), but they are interesting. Anyway, if you look at them you will see that Hayden Dalton shows up as our most important player (leads team in Win Shares and Adjusted Plus/Minus) with Justin James second behind him.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

I agree w/ ItSucks 100%. I just can't get over that fact that they don't start and play more. JJ is 6th and Dalton is 4th on the team in minutes during conference games. It just blows my mind that you would willingly handicap yourself like that. And what about Adams? He's either the third or fouth best player and he's getting bit minutes. OK I'll shut up about it for now, but damn. This isn't little league.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

NowherePoke wrote:

To bolster your point, if you look at the advanced stats on sports-reference (lies, damn lies, and statistics I know, but still) they have categories for Win Shares and Adjusted Plus/Minus. These aren't perfect stats since they are just calculated from box scores (not like some of the analytics they have in the NBA with actual floor data), but they are interesting. Anyway, if you look at them you will see that Hayden Dalton shows up as our most important player (leads team in Win Shares and Adjusted Plus/Minus) with Justin James second behind him.
GD. I'm getting all mad just reading this. This blows my damn mind. What a joke that JJ and Dalton don't play more. holy crap
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy

LanderPoke wrote:I agree w/ ItSucks 100%. I just can't get over that fact that they don't start and play more. JJ is 6th and Dalton is 4th on the team in minutes during conference games. It just blows my mind that you would willingly handicap yourself like that. And what about Adams? He's either the third or fouth best player and he's getting bit minutes. OK I'll shut up about it for now, but damn. This isn't little league.
I think Adams is a little bit different scenario. He has been hurt and less than 100%. Also, he is a bit of a wild card out there. His athleticism is exciting, but he is still figuring out who to work within the framework of this team. I understand him losing some minutes to steadier, if less talented, players like Aka Gorski.

James and Dalton need to be on the floor as much as conditioning/foul situation allows. They are our best players.

Edit: Following up on my advanced stats note, Adams actually grades out as one of the worst on the team, largely due to a high turnover rate combined with a high usage rate.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

NowherePoke wrote:
LanderPoke wrote:I agree w/ ItSucks 100%. I just can't get over that fact that they don't start and play more. JJ is 6th and Dalton is 4th on the team in minutes during conference games. It just blows my mind that you would willingly handicap yourself like that. And what about Adams? He's either the third or fouth best player and he's getting bit minutes. OK I'll shut up about it for now, but damn. This isn't little league.
I think Adams is a little bit different scenario. He has been hurt and less than 100%. Also, he is a bit of a wild card out there. His athleticism is exciting, but he is still figuring out who to work within the framework of this team. I understand him losing some minutes to steadier, if less talented, players like Aka Gorski.

James and Dalton need to be on the floor as much as conditioning/foul situation allows. They are our best players.

Edit: Following up on my advanced stats note, Adams actually grades out as one of the worst on the team, largely due to a high turnover rate combined with a high usage rate.
Adams passes the ''eye'' test for me. And Adams appears to be a fantastic defender and rebounder.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy

LanderPoke wrote:
NowherePoke wrote:

Adams passes the ''eye'' test for me. And Adams appears to be a fantastic defender and rebounder.
I like Adams and I can see him being a starter and top 3 scorer on the team next year. Having said that, the eye test can be misleading. Dalton doesn't pass the eye test (in fact, if he turns sideways you can't see him at all...), but the dude can play.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

LanderPoke wrote:
POKE FAN wrote:
Thanks for the words, Cosmic. I know Dalton says that he and Justin don't mind coming off the bench, but I don't know of any highly competitive athletes who wouldn't want to start, given the opportunity. There are some of us who get a little edgy seeing those two sitting the first 4-6 minutes of each half with what they can bring to the table. Hayden is a rebounding machine and an unselfish offensive threat with the ball in his hands. Plus, he's a an outstanding free throw shooter this year. More minutes = more good things happening for the Pokes.
That's a crazy concept, but it just might work. Someone should tell the coaches ASAP!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote:
POKE FAN wrote:More minutes = more good things happening for the Pokes.

They're both getting more minutes than the "starters," so why does it really matter? What's more important, the guys who start the game and the second half or the guys who finish the game?

It's not like they're barely playing...they're both playing quite a bit.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

Early stats through four conference games (minutes/game):

Aka Gorski 34.0 (Leader in threes made)
Herndon 32.2 (Blocks)
McManamen 31.8 (Assists)
Dalton 28.3 (Rebounds, total points, FTs made)
Lieberman 21.3
James 20.3 (Steals)
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

Alexander Aka Gorski has career night in Wyoming men's basketball's defeat of Utah State (trib.com)

"That’s not very smart to leave him open," junior Hayden Dalton said Wednesday after the Wyoming Cowboys beat Utah State 95-87.

"Swedish Sniper, baby," interjected redshirt freshman Cody Kelley.

"They were kind of baiting me a little bit," the junior guard from Lund, Sweden said. "They weren’t closing out hard on me or anything. And then once I hit a couple, I was really hunting the 3 and trying to look for it."

http://trib.com/sports/college/wyoming/ ... c93fa.html

FarmerPoke
Cowpoke

If Jmac can go back to where ever he left himself and bring himself back to the basketball team, that would be just dandy. He's the main guy that's been really struggling since conference started.
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

Pack takes hot streak to Wyoming in Saturday Mountain West matchup (nevadawolfpack.com)

Wolf Pack Layups: http://www.nevadawolfpack.com/sports/m- ... 17aaa.html

Nevada Game Notes (pdf file): http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/unv ... 113aaa.pdf

LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

joshvanklomp wrote:
LanderPoke wrote:
POKE FAN wrote:More minutes = more good things happening for the Pokes.

They're both getting more minutes than the "starters," so why does it really matter? What's more important, the guys who start the game and the second half or the guys who finish the game?

It's not like they're barely playing...they're both playing quite a bit.
Logic says that you should start the game with your best players and best chance to start the game off well.

They are getting the 4th most and 6th most minutes in conference games. They need to be playing more. Just my :twocents: