2016-2017 Wyoming Basketball Articles/Videos/Tweets

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

Bulldogs, needing surge, hit road, where wins have been hard to find (Fresno Bee)

“They have a lot of guys that can shoot the basketball,” Terry said. “James is their leading scorer right now and he’s a dual threat – he can drive the ball, shoot the basketball. We know McManamen can. He had 28 against us last year up at their place.

“It’s going to be a big shooter defense game for us. We have to get out there and close out with high hands on all those guys on the perimeter. We know Dalton can shoot it and drive it. We know (Alan) Herndon can shoot it. They have a team full of shooters over there, so it’s a huge shooter defense game.”

http://www.fresnobee.com/sports/college ... 06949.html

LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

joshvanklomp wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:34 am I thought turnovers weren't an issue?
They are an issue,but JJ doesn't turn it over any more than any other elite player in the MWC. Edwards is being too hard on him.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

POKE FAN wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:42 am
joshvanklomp wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:34 am I thought turnovers weren't an issue?
Who said they weren't an issue? James and Dalton need to clean that area up at times, but they both do MANY MORE things well on the court that do (and don't) show up in the stats. Both should be in the top three in average minutes per game.

Savvy?
Dalton is in the top 3 with James right behind him in 4th. Without foul trouble James would probably be in 3rd. That's for the season if we looked at conference season or the last 4 or 5 games I bet they would be up there. They have been getting more play as their bad TO's have gone down and that will continue as the season goes I think.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:05 am
They are an issue,but JJ doesn't turn it over any more than any other elite player in the MWC. Edwards is being too hard on him.
And keep the ridicule in the locker room. I personally don't think it is a good look to go to the press and dime your players like that.

Just one more example of Edwards being a young coach and has a ways to go before he has "arrived".
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:12 am
LanderPoke wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:05 am
And keep the ridicule in the locker room. I personally don't think it is a good look to go to the press and dime your players like that.

Just one more example of Edwards being a young coach and has a ways to go before he has "arrived".
I'd pissed if I were James. Maybe Coach Edwards should pick on JMac for sucking at everything? Or at Lieberman for being invisible? How many conference wins do we have without James? 2?
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:05 amThey are an issue,but JJ doesn't turn it over any more than any other elite player in the MWC.
Not true. Here's the list of the top ten scorers in the MWC (since scoring seems to be the main barometer of elite players around here):

Marcus Marshall: 24.1 minutes per turnover
Elijah Brown: 10.2 minutes per turnover
Brandon Clarke: 18.0 minutes per turnover
Tim Williams: 17.7 minutes per turnover
Chandler Hutchison: 11.6 minutes per turnover
Jalen Moore: 14.7 minutes per turnover
Justin James: 10.1 minutes per turnover
Koby McEwen: 13.1 minutes per turnover
Cameron Oliver: 12.5 minutes per turnover
Jordan Caroline: 16.9 minutes per turnover

James is the worst. And compared to most of the other nine, it's not even close.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

joshvanklomp wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:40 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:05 amThey are an issue,but JJ doesn't turn it over any more than any other elite player in the MWC.
Not true. Here's the list of the top ten scorers in the MWC (since scoring seems to be the main barometer of elite players around here):

James is the worst. And compared to most of the other nine, it's not even close.
As opposed to believing a low TO ratio is the only barometer of an elite player... Thank god we have Aka Gorski then...
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

You have to adjust that for tempo, since we play at a faster rate than most of those other teams. It doesn't change the overall fact that James has too many turnovers (and he definitely does), but on a tempo adjusted basis, his turnover rate is actually lower (16.5% of possessions used ending in TO's) than either Brown (17.5) or Hutchison (17.1).

Keep in mind, we are not even trying to argue that James should be First Team All-MWC or MWC POY (the conversation that BSU and UNM fans are having about Brown and Hutchison), we are only arguing that he should be playing. Tough to find much evidence that he should not be playing.

Your strong dislike for James (and Dalton) is just bizarre.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

NowherePoke wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:56 pm Your strong dislike for James (and Dalton) is just bizarre.
I don't dislike either of them. I've simply said I understand why the coaches don't give them 35 minutes a game. They aren't without fault in this situation.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

joshvanklomp wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:00 pm
NowherePoke wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:56 pm Your strong dislike for James (and Dalton) is just bizarre.
I don't dislike either of them. I've simply said I understand why the coaches don't give them 35 minutes a game. They aren't without fault in this situation.
YET You refuse to offer up a replacement. You've convinced yourself that they don't deserve 35 minutes a game so who deserves those extra minutes? Barnes? Moemeka? Marshall?
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

Wyoming men's basketball needs four overtimes to finish off Fresno State (trib.com)

"That was probably the craziest game I've ever been a part of," senior Jason McManamen said. "Four overtimes. So many big shots, making big free throws. It was fun tonight."

"That's the Jason that we know as a ball club," head coach Allen Edwards said.

http://trib.com/sports/college/wyoming/ ... 43df9.html

POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

Cowboy Basketball Defeats Fresno State in Exciting 4th Overtime Win (Wyo-Vision)

The University of Wyoming Cowboys defeated the Fresno State Bulldogs in 4th overtime on Wednesday night 102-100 in the Arena Auditorium.

POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

Wyoming vs. Fresno State highlights (WyoSports)

Second half highlights, including all four overtimes from Wyoming's 102-100 victory over Fresno State on Wednesday, Feb. 8, 2017 at the Arena-Auditorium in Laramie, Wyoming. The Cowboys improved to 16-9 overall and 6-6 in the Mountain West Conference. Video by Robert Gagliardi/WyoSports

POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

Allen Edwards -- Fresno State (WyoSports)

First-year Wyoming men's basketball coach Allen Edwards talks to the media after the Cowboys' 102-100 win in four overtimes over Fresno State on Wednesday, Feb. 8, 2017 at the Arena-Auditorium in Laramie, Wyoming. Video by Robert Gagliardi/WyoSports

POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

Wyoming players -- Fresno State (WyoSports)

From left to right, Wyoming's Jason McManamen, Morris Marshall and Hayden Dalton talk to the media after the Cowboys' 102-100 4OT victory over Fresno State on Wednesday, Feb. 8, 2017 at the Arena-Auditorium in Laramie, Wyoming. McManamen had a career-high 30 points, including seven 3-pointers. Dalton had 21 points and 20 rebounds, the first 20-20 game for a Wyoming player since 1991, and Marshall had six points, all from the free-throw line in the second overtime. Video by Robert Gagliardi/WyoSports

LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

As others have said: tempo. Pretty similar to the top players.

And, yes. That's the point of basketball. Score. It's by far the most important attribute of a basketball player. Even so James is a damn good rebounder and defender, too. He's the best player.
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

Inside Wyoming Basketball (2016-17 Season - Episode 4) -- Wyo-Vision

The fourth episode of Inside Wyoming Basketball with Allen Edwards for the 2016-17 season. (Original Air Date: 2-8-17)

POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

With fouls and overtimes mounting, Bulldogs finally fall at Wyoming (Fresno Bee)

Quotable – Terry: “We said going into this game that everybody that traveled was going to have to be ready to play tonight and everybody got an opportunity. The guys that got in the game late, they practice extremely hard. They give us a great look every day, so you’re not afraid to put those guys in the game. Tonight we needed those guys to play a little for us and we knew we would. You come up here, you play at altitude, you’re going to need everybody to compete.”

http://www.fresnobee.com/sports/college ... 25724.html