Cowboy Wrestling Begins 2016-17 Season

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

UW wrestling back in Nevada for Reno Tournament of Champions (WyoSports.net)

Wyoming concludes its pre-holiday schedule by wrestling in the Reno Tournament of Champions on Sunday in Reno, Nevada. The individual tournament features three of the top six ranked teams in the country in No. 1 Oklahoma State, No. 3 Penn State and No. 6 Missouri. Also in the field are No. 14 Stanford and No. 15 Arizona State.

“Penn State’s bringing their full team, and they have been the big dog on the block for the last five years,” Branch said. “That’s exciting because it’s a team we don’t get to see very often. This gives us more opportunities to make a statement and make ourselves known.”

http://www.wyosports.net/university_of_ ... 27931.html

LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

The Reno TOC has gotten a lot tougher..
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

Cowboy Wrestling Looks to Continue Momentum Going into Reno Tournament of Champions (Wyo-Vision)

Head Coach Mark Branch & #12 Branson Ashworth (RS Sophomore, 165) talk about the recent Cliff Keen Invite and look forward to the Reno Tournament of Champions this Sunday.

POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

Current standings as of this tweet:

1. Wyoming 58.0
2. Okla State 53.0
3. Mich State 52.5

https://twitter.com/WyoWrestle/status/8 ... 4383240192
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

https://twitter.com/WyoWrestle/status/8 ... 3950895109 1. Wyoming 64.0
2. Okla State 61.5
3. Mich State 57.5
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

Damn. Wyoming is kicking ass. Go Pokes!!
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
Mtpoke89
Ranch Hand

Man thats badass. Go pokes. Do they stream the matches on gowyo? I see Stroh won.
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

Pretty cool pic of the wrestling lockers at UW:

OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 226 times

Good showing by the Pokes in Reno. Not quite as impressive as the Vegas tournament, but the team is rolling. A bit surprised that Meredith lost to an unranked wrestler in the finals. The Cowboys would have taken 2nd (and maybe won the tournament) had Ben Stroh not trasnferred. Stroh won his weight class for his new college (Montana State Northern).
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

OrediggerPoke wrote:Good showing by the Pokes in Reno. Not quite as impressive as the Vegas tournament, but the team is rolling. A bit surprised that Meredith lost to an unranked wrestler in the finals. The Cowboys would have taken 2nd (and maybe won the tournament) had Ben Stroh not trasnferred. Stroh won his weight class for his new college (Montana State Northern).
Penn state and Missouri didn't show up. Ok St beat us with their JV team. It was an ok showing, I guess. No one beat a ranked wrestler all day. Disappointing that some of the big dogs didn't make it there.
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

American, Army, North Carolina and Wyoming Square Off at AU Duals (theopenmat.com)

On Friday, January 6th, 2017, beginning at 3 pm eastern some NCAA wrestling teams that are unfamiliar with each other historically, American, Army, North Carolina, and Wyoming, will gather in Washington, D.C. to compete. Their head coaches are the common thread here with Teague Moore (American), Kevin Ward (Army), Coleman Scott (North Carolina), and Mark Branch (Wyoming) all having done their college wrestling at Oklahoma State. I’m sure there will be friendly greetings and some reminiscing before and after these duals, but there will be some serious competition during.

http://news.theopenmat.com/college-wres ... uals/61011

POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

UW returns from holiday break at American Duals (WyoSports.net)

“You can tell that people are wrestling me in a different way than they might wrestle other opponents,” Meredith said. “Like the Nebraska kid (Colton McCrystal), who stayed away and wouldn’t wrestle the whole match and wound up winning at the end.

“I have to learn different ways to wrestle people that are being more defensive and blocking me, because that really shuts me down.”

http://www.wyosports.net/university_of_ ... 0e403.html