2016 Wyoming Hoops Signees Notes

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

That writer thinks our 2018 recruit Kountz is one spot better than Hunter.

Was Hunters handle TherealHunter before we gave Thompson so much message board love while the hype train for Maldonado was tepid at best? If so, I like him more and I think he may be the best basketball player in this class by the time he's a senior.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

Maldonado seems to ooze with potential. Very excited to see him in action next year,
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

Cowboy Junky wrote:That writer thinks our 2018 recruit Kountz is one spot better than Hunter.

Was Hunters handle TherealHunter before we gave Thompson so much message board love while the hype train for Maldonado was tepid at best? If so, I like him more and I think he may be the best basketball player in this class by the time he's a senior.
Yes, plucking Kountz would be another feather for this staff.

It'll be fun watching how these three signees grow over the next 4-5 years.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

I watched Hunter play last night against a fast paced Wyo Indian in Burns Winter Classic last night, he had 2 dunks, and overall scored 30 of their 61 points last night, man oh man was that fun, he still has a good shot from the outside and will be just fine this season, needs to put on about 15 or more pounds and take the ball down low a bit more, but HT is AOK
pokecountant
Ranch Hand

A buddy of mine is coaching at the Winter Classic and was watching Hunter today. Said he's never in all his years around the game, a kid with that size, shoot the ball so smoothly and effortlessly. He said it almost catches you off guard because a guy that big (and that young) typically is going to look like Barnes when he's on the perimiter. Not Hunter. I'm excited to see him suit up for the pokes.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

The matchup between Vista Ridge and Fountain-Fort Carson had been fairly even heading into the fourth quarter Thursday night, with Vista Ridge holding a 38-37 lead. Both teams had solid spells of play, with neither able to gain a clear advantage.

But then senior Hunter Maldonado and the Vista Ridge defense said enough was enough, and the Wolves (2-3) ran away to beat Fountain-Fort Carson (0-1) 63-49.

"He was ticked (going into the fourth quarter)," Vista Ridge coach Joe Hites said of Maldonado. "And he takes it on his shoulders."

Sixteen of Maldonado's game-high 27 points came in the fourth quarter. But for Maldonado, it's all about getting that defense to kick in sooner.

"We need to lock down on defense sooner in the game," he said. "If we get a stop on defense then the offense will take care of itself."

http://gazette.com/vista-ridge-boys-bas ... le/1591937
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Cowboy Junky wrote:Was Hunters handle TherealHunter before we gave Thompson so much message board love while the hype train for Maldonado was tepid at best? If so, I like him more and I think he may be the best basketball player in this class by the time he's a senior.
Yes, Maldonado has had the same Twitter handle since before he committed to the Pokes in June. Not related at all.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 144 times

Maldonado looks like a great get. When he first committed, I was a little disappointed but man oh man does he look like the real deal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
W-Y, Until I Die!
wyo 1
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 4 times

Seeing that each one of theses guys has gone off for 30+ this season has me pretty excited to see them in Laramie.
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

wyo 1 wrote:Seeing that each one of theses guys has gone off for 30+ this season has me pretty excited to see them in Laramie.
Adding athleticism and scoring ability. Personally, I like the reports that at least a couple of them will get in your jock defensively. Need to play great defense.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

POKE FAN wrote:
wyo 1 wrote:Seeing that each one of theses guys has gone off for 30+ this season has me pretty excited to see them in Laramie.
Adding athleticism and scoring ability. Personally, I like the reports that at least a couple of them will get in your jock defensively. Need to play great defense.
Defense wins ball games and eventually championships.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

A few more tweets and video highlights of Mack within the last week:
https://twitter.com/HOOPTALK_GREENE/sta ... 3724484608 https://twitter.com/CoachMantegna/statu ... 0350723072 https://twitter.com/CoachMantegna/statu ... 3784341504 Some video of Anthony here against Linden: http://www.fios1news.com/newjersey/hs-s ... F1vTX04mIG

Video interview and more highlights with Player-of-the-Game Mr. Mack: http://www.fios1news.com/newjersey/hs-p ... F1xJ304mIE
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict