2016 Wyoming Hoops Signees Notes

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

https://twitter.com/J_Mills78/status/823373793901117441 .
With fire code, tardy fans can be left in the cold at big-time Colorado Springs basketball games (gazette.com)

At 7 p.m. Wednesday, Sand Creek's gym will be the hottest venue in town when the Scorpions (14-1) meet Falcon School District rival Vista Ridge (11-4) in the first of two encounters in the 4A/5A Pikes Peak Athletic Conference schedule.

And with the star power of seniors D'shawn Schwartz of Sand Creek and Hunter Maldonado of Vista Ridge, the game is sure to pique the interest of far more than just those associated with the two schools.

http://gazette.com/with-fire-code-tardy ... le/1595013

POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

Champion Hornets keep rolling along (pinebluffspost.com)

Haize Fornstrom led Hornet scoring with 17 points, followed by Hunter Thompson with 14, Kyle Steger with 9, Tucker Norman with 8 and Alex Graves, Hesston Fornstrom, Chris Fronstrom and Wyatt Fornstrom each had 2 points.

Thompson led rebounds with 12, with Graves following with 5, Steger and Norman each had 4, while Haize Fornstrom, Hesston Fornstrom, Andrew Fornstrom and Ishmael DePaulitte had 1 each.

http://www.pinebluffspost.com/story/201 ... /5331.html

Hornets sweep the competition in Yoder (pinebluffspost.com)

http://www.pinebluffspost.com/story/201 ... /5301.html
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

David Ramsey: Hunter Maldonado dominates Round One of basketball rivalry with D'shawn Schwartz (The Gazette)

The appreciation was thunderous. Vista Ridge students roared as Maldonado took his seat.

Maldonado, who will play for Wyoming next season, earned the applause. This was his night. He scored 29 points, including 15 in the decisive third quarter, to lead Vista Ridge to a 68-53 win over Sand Creek and Schwartz. The score is deceptive. At one point, Vista led 45-17.

Round One in the Maldonado-Schwartz rivalry goes to Maldonado, and it wasn't close. Schwartz finished with 17 points, but, again, the number is deceptive. He scored four points in the first half while surrounded by a host of Vista Ridge defenders. He warmed up late, but it was too late.

http://gazette.com/article/1595204

ABC News 13 video: http://www.krdo.com/sports/vista-ridge- ... /293519021

POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

Vista Ridge takes show on the road, dominates rival Sand Creek (The Gazette)

Meanwhile, Hunter Maldonado showed why he's also considered one of the best in the state, scoring a game-high 29 points in what was a rout until the final moments.

"Points don't matter to me - I'm just out here doing whatever the team needs me to do to win," Maldonado said.

"There's nothing sweeter than beating your rival on the road," Maldonado said. "This was a fun experience. A lot of people in the state might not have thought we could do this, but rankings don't matter."

http://gazette.com/article/1595205

LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

Hunter Maldonado is going to be so good. So he pretty much owned Colorado commit D'Shawn Schwartz.
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

Mack and Thompson received most of the attention with their impressive load of D-1 offers and 3-/4-star ratings, but Maldonado has a chance to be a pretty damn good player for the Pokes as he matures within the program. The cavalry is coming.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 144 times

POKE FAN wrote:Mack and Thompson received most of the attention with their impressive load of D-1 offers and 3-/4-star ratings, but Maldonado has a chance to be a pretty damn good player for the Pokes as he matures within the program. The cavalry is coming.
He looks like the big surprise for sure. I was slightly disappointed when I first heard his commitment because there wasn't much hype, but man, this kids looks really really good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
W-Y, Until I Die!
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

I can't wait for the new troops to get here.

Ask yourself the last time Wyoming had a recruiting class this well balanced:

Nairres Redding
Buddha Jones
Hunter Maldonado
Anthony Mack

Hunter Thompson is one of six getting a scholarship in 2018.

To me, it looks like Anthony Mack and Hunter Maldonado have a chance to be just as good as the two four stars: Buddha Jones and Hunter Thompson.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

laxwyo wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:41 pm He looks like the big surprise for sure. I was slightly disappointed when I first heard his commitment because there wasn't much hype, but man, this kids looks really really good
Yes, it looks like the staff did a nice job evaluating Hunter early on.
Cowboy Junky wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:55 am To me, it looks like Anthony Mack and Hunter Maldonado have a chance to be just as good as the two four stars: Buddha Jones and Hunter Thompson.
This certainly looks like a problem for opponents moving forward. I can already see the "minutes debate" brewing. ;)
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

POKE FAN wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:52 am
laxwyo wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:41 pm He looks like the big surprise for sure. I was slightly disappointed when I first heard his commitment because there wasn't much hype, but man, this kids looks really really good
Cowboy Junky wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:55 am To me, it looks like Anthony Mack and Hunter Maldonado have a chance to be just as good as the two four stars: Buddha Jones and Hunter Thompson.
This certainly looks like a problem for opponents moving forward. I can already see the "minutes debate" brewing. ;)
I'd like to see every single freshmen redshirt.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:56 am
I'd like to see every single freshmen redshirt.
I would love that too, but I would be surprised if that actually happened. I think Mack will see playing time as a freshman.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:02 am
LanderPoke wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:56 am I'd like to see every single freshmen redshirt.
I would love that too, but I would be surprised if that actually happened. I think Mack will see playing time as a freshman.
As of right now, I'd expect Mack to be starting on opening night.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

It's exactly what Edwards offense needs to run efficiently, more long bodies that can knock down open shots, and attack the rim when the jumper's not falling.

It will take time to develop some of those guys, but pieces are coming.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

Cowboy Junky wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:12 pm
It's exactly what Edwards offense needs to run efficiently, more long bodies that can knock down open shots, and attack the rim when the jumper's not falling.

It will take time to develop some of those guys, but pieces are coming.
More (unselfish) players with the ability to ATTACK the glass effectively and then play tenacious defense at the other end. That's all I'm asking for as this roster evolves. Hopefully, that's where we're headed. :popcorn:
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

joshvanklomp wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:27 pm As of right now, I'd expect Mack to be starting on opening night.
But you're forgetting who the coach is. From what I've come to expect from Edwards, if Wilt Chamberlain (God rest his soul) walked on the court next fall, he wouldn't start under Edwards.
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

Hornets beat Broncs, Tigers to continue streak
13-0 on the season; last loss was 12/18/2015 vs. Greybull (37 straight wins)

Hunter Thompson led Hornet scoring with 22 points, followed by Haize Fornstrom with 15, Tucker Norman with 9, Paul deManigold with 6, Andrew Fornstrom with 4, Kyle Steger, Brian Steger and Jaiden Fornstrom each had 3, Hesston Fornstrom and Chris Fornstrom each had two.

http://www.pinebluffspost.com/story/201 ... /5354.html
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

Lewis-Palmer boys basketball overcomes foul trouble to beat Vista Ridge (chsaanow.com)

COLORADO SPRINGS — Lewis-Palmer had two major problems on Wednesday night: Josh Scott and Angelo Battistelli found their way into foul trouble and Hunter Maldonado was on the other team.

Maldonado was limited to only six points in the quarter, with Billy Cook doing everything possible to slow down the Wyoming commit.

"It's definitely tiring," Cook said. "He's one heck of a player, but it gives me good experience. I've guarded these guys, Hunter and D'Shawn (Schwartz) so the guys I have to guard in the future, it's a little easier."

Maldonado would go on to score a game-high 29 points. But that was about the best news of the night for the Wolves.

http://chsaanow.com/2017-02-01/lewis-pa ... sta-ridge/

POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

Blair Beats St. Benedict’s as Junior Point Guard Junub Char Shows Out (.zagsblog.com)

Blair suffered the loss of starting forward and Wyoming commit Anthony Mack, who left with an ankle injury early in the first quarter. Miami-bound center Deng Gak also suffered a slight blow to the face late in the game, but expects not to miss any time.

“I think [Anthony] will be out at least a couple of weeks with a pretty high level ankle sprain,” said Coach Joe Mantegna.

https://www.zagsblog.com/2017/01/27/bla ... har-shows/