Cowboy Basketball Productivity Stats

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

Here are some stats concerning the productivity of individual Cowboy basketball players based upon their actual time on the floor. This is something I used to calculate on the other board. The stats are calculated on a per minute basis of actual court time and then projected to a full 40 minutes (full game) to more easily understand. Top five players are listed in each category who also average double-digit minutes per game. I'll try to update throughout the season as time permits:

All games through 12/28/2016:

Points/40
James 26.0
Adams 20.1
Dalton 19.3
McManamen 17.1
Naughton 15.0

Rebounds/40
Naughton 13.0
Dalton 13.0
Herndon 7.8
James 7.6
Adams 7.6

Assists/40

Dalton 4.8
Kelley 4.5
Aka Gorski 4.5
Lieberman 4.4
Adams 3.7

Turnovers/40
Adams 5.5
Kelley 3.8
James 3.6
Dalton 3.5
Lieberman 3.1

Blocks/40
Herndon 2.6
Dalton 1.6
Naughton 1.3
James 1.1
Adams 0.5

Steals/40
Lieberman 1.5
Kelley 1.4
Adams 1.3
Aka Gorski 1.1
Dalton 1.1

Fouls/40
Kelley 6.4
Adams 5.5
Naughton 5.4
Lieberman 4.1
Aka Gorski 4.0
wyopig
Ranch Hand

Those stats put Lieberman's play into perspective. I was shocked to see that his numbers are better than Kelley's in every stat (for which both made the top 5), but maybe I'm harder on Jeremy becasuse he's a junior and Kelley is a freshman walk-on.

Lieberman had a moment last season where he turned it around and started playing pretty well. He limited his turnovers, didn't try to do more than he could, and contributed a little more in the scoring and assist columns. He hasn't done it yet this year, but I'm hopeful that we see last season's late-season Lieberman show up again soon.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

wyopig wrote:Lieberman had a moment last season where he turned it around and started playing pretty well. He limited his turnovers, didn't try to do more than he could, and contributed a little more in the scoring and assist columns. He hasn't done it yet this year, but I'm hopeful that we see last season's late-season Lieberman show up again soon.
This is what I was thinking as well. Last year he struggled early but I remember him playing really well later in conference season. I think the same will happen this year. I think he is about to turn it around. I also think people are harder on him than they should be looking at those stats.
wyopig
Ranch Hand

TSpoke wrote:
wyopig wrote:Lieberman had a moment last season where he turned it around and started playing pretty well. He limited his turnovers, didn't try to do more than he could, and contributed a little more in the scoring and assist columns. He hasn't done it yet this year, but I'm hopeful that we see last season's late-season Lieberman show up again soon.
This is what I was thinking as well. Last year he struggled early but I remember him playing really well later in conference season. I think the same will happen this year. I think he is about to turn it around. I also think people are harder on him than they should be looking at those stats.
I know I am
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

wyopig wrote:Those stats put Lieberman's play into perspective. I was shocked to see that his numbers are better than Kelley's in every stat (for which both made the top 5), but maybe I'm harder on Jeremy becasuse he's a junior and Kelley is a freshman walk-on.

Lieberman had a moment last season where he turned it around and started playing pretty well. He limited his turnovers, didn't try to do more than he could, and contributed a little more in the scoring and assist columns. He hasn't done it yet this year, but I'm hopeful that we see last season's late-season Lieberman show up again soon.
Let's hope Jeremy can kick it into gear as the season progresses. Job #1 right now is to take care of the ball. An inordinate amount of passes getting picked and then he finds himself on the bench. He hits that last second shot in Vegas against USC and he's a hero.

These stats can be slightly tainted by things like garbage time numbers, but they should give a pretty good indication of who is really the most productive while on the court. One player who had some eye-popping stats (good and bad) in different categories was Moemeka. He just hasn't played enough quality minutes to qualify for the list. I had to laugh at some of the stats I was seeing for Andrew.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

This only confirms my thinking on Lieberman and Kelly.

Lieberman's shot is too flat. It's like a damn laser. He could instantly be a better shooter if he would put some dang arc on that ball.
wyopig
Ranch Hand

LanderPoke wrote:This only confirms my thinking on Lieberman and Kelly.

Lieberman's shot is too flat. It's like a damn laser. He could instantly be a better shooter if he would put some dang arc on that ball.
That made a huge difference for Josh Adams as well
kdwrightuwyo
A Real Cowboy

wyopig wrote:
LanderPoke wrote:This only confirms my thinking on Lieberman and Kelly.

That made a huge difference for Josh Adams as well
The problem with Josh Adams was that he jumped so dang high, he would shoot down into the hoop. I'm pretty sure my vertical is just about as high as Liebs. He shoots up directly at the rim.
wyo 1
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 4 times

wyopig wrote:Those stats put Lieberman's play into perspective. I was shocked to see that his numbers are better than Kelley's in every stat (for which both made the top 5), but maybe I'm harder on Jeremy becasuse he's a junior and Kelley is a freshman walk-on.

Both Lieberman and Kelly are 3 years out of high school right?
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

wyo 1 wrote:

Both Lieberman and Kelly are 3 years out of high school right?
Both HS seniors in 2013-14. Kelley went to prep school in 2014-15 and redshirted last year.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Shoot the ball Jeremy can't score if you don't shoot it, hope they are focused tomorrow in Vegas, win the game 1st then go party and have fun later on, but be safe and smart out there. GO POKES
FarmerPoke
Cowpoke

Thanks for posting those poke fan, they do indeed cast lieberman in a little better light. It will be interesting to look at these again once conference season is over, and just focus on numbers from conference games, to see if he turns his game around when things matter moving forward here.

I pulled up some advanced stats, and Liebs and Kelley have the lowest player efficiency ratings on the team and its not even close. Liebs has the lowest true shooting % on the team, and second lowest effective field goal % behind Averbuck. That 15% from 3 for Liebs is an absolute killer. Liebs is a team worst -0.3 in offensive win shares, Kelley is right behind him with a -0.2. They are the only players on the team who are negative.

Essentially those numbers tell me that with either of them on the floor, offensively they are a net negative. I would rather have Kelley on the floor at this point simply because he brings more ability to stretch the floor, more than double Liebs %. However the numbers show, that at this point, either of them on the floor is a net negative on the offensive end.

Our top 5 players in terms of performance efficiency rating
Dalton
James
Naughton
Herndon
Jmac
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

FarmerPoke wrote:Thanks for posting those poke fan, they do indeed cast lieberman in a little better light. It will be interesting to look at these again once conference season is over, and just focus on numbers from conference games, to see if he turns his game around when things matter moving forward here.

I pulled up some advanced stats, and Liebs and Kelley have the lowest player efficiency ratings on the team and its not even close. Liebs has the lowest true shooting % on the team, and second lowest effective field goal % behind Averbuck. That 15% from 3 for Liebs is an absolute killer. Liebs is a team worst -0.3 in offensive win shares, Kelley is right behind him with a -0.2. They are the only players on the team who are negative.

Essentially those numbers tell me that with either of them on the floor, offensively they are a net negative. I would rather have Kelley on the floor at this point simply because he brings more ability to stretch the floor, more than double Liebs %. However the numbers show, that at this point, either of them on the floor is a net negative on the offensive end.

Dalton
James
Naughton
Herndon
Jmac
I did a facepalm when I read your post. Not because of what you wrote, but because Lieberman and Kelly...
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

FarmerPoke wrote:Thanks for posting those poke fan, they do indeed cast lieberman in a little better light. It will be interesting to look at these again once conference season is over, and just focus on numbers from conference games, to see if he turns his game around when things matter moving forward here.

Dalton
James
Naughton
Herndon
Jmac
Yeah, my background includes a lot of statistical analysis, so I guess I find it interesting to look at hard numbers/stats to go along with the "eye test" (which I prefer). Some sets of statistics are more valuable than others, obviously, but they can paint a picture nonetheless. I was planning on doing a separate set of stats for MWC play, if I can find a quality split. One defensive stat I'd like to see -- but the numbers don't seem to be readily available -- is "charges drawn per 40". I'm big on good defense. As posted in another thread, McManamen has been pretty good at that in his time at UW, among others.
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

Updated the spreadsheets for all games played and MWC-only (four weeks). Calculated on a per minute basis of actual court time and then projected to a per 40-minute block (to better show separation).

All games through 1/21/2017:

ALL GAMES:

Points/40
James 25.4
Adams 21.1
Dalton 20.4
Naughton 15.5
Aka Gorski 14.8

Rebounds/40
Dalton 13.4
Naughton 10.6
Herndon 8.0
James 7.9
Adams 7.3

Assists/40
Kelley 5.1
Dalton 4.4
Lieberman 4.3
Aka Gorski 3.3
McManamen 3.2

Turnovers/40
Adams 4.8
Dalton 4.1
James 3.8
Kelley 3.1
Lieberman 2.8

Blocks/40
Herndon 2.6
Dalton 1.6
Naughton 1.4
James 1.1
Adams 0.4

Steals/40
Kelley 1.8
Lieberman 1.6
James 1.6
Dalton 1.1
Aka Gorski 1.0

Fouls/40
Kelley 6.4
Naughton 5.7
Adams 5.2
James 4.2
Lieberman 4.1

MWC-ONLY:

Points/40
James 24.1
Adams 23.7
Dalton 23.1
Aka Gorski 17.3
Naughton 15.2

Rebounds/40
Dalton 13.6
James 9.7
Herndon 8.7
Adams 6.7
Naughton 6.3

Assists/40
Kelley 5.9
McManamen 4.6
Dalton 3.7
Lieberman 3.6
James 3.2

Turnovers/40
Dalton 5.3
James 4.1
Adams 3.0
Kelley 2.7
Lieberman 2.3

Blocks/40
Herndon 2.8
Dalton 1.6
Naughton 1.5
James 1.2

Steals/40
James 2.6
Kelley 2.3
Lieberman 1.6
Dalton 1.2
Aka Gorski 1.0

Fouls/40
Kelley 6.8
James 6.8
Naughton 6.3
Dalton 4.9
Adams 4.4
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

James and Dalton compared to some of the other top players in the MWC through the first four weeks of MWC play (scoring and rebounding):

Points/40
Brown (UNM) 27.0
Marshall (UNR) 25.5
James (WYO) 24.1
Dalton (WYO) 23.1
Hutchison (BSU) 21.6
Clavell (CSU) 20.8
Omogbo (CSU) 20.3
Williams (UNM) 19.7
Moore (USU) 19.1
Caroline (UNR) 17.6
Watson (FSU) 16.1

Rebounds/40
Omogbo (CSU) 13.9
Dalton (WYO) 13.6
Hutchison (BSU) 11.7
Caroline (UNR) 10.8
James (WYO) 9.7
Williams (UNM) 8.3
Clavell (CSU) 7.8
Brown (UNM) 7.0
Moore (USU) 5.5
Watson (FSU) 5.0
Marshall (UNR) 3.1

Minutes
Williams (UNM) 294
Marshall (UNR) 268
Caroline (UNR) 263
Watson (FSU) 263
Moore (USU) 260
Clavell (CSU) 256
Brown (UNM) 253
Hutchison (BSU) 230
Omogbo (CSU) 221
Dalton (WYO) 173
James (WYO) 136
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

f-word incredible
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

Means they won't be dead legs towards the later part of the conference season and should be to our teams benefit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

Wyo2dal wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:27 pm Means they won't be dead legs towards the later part of the conference season and should be to our teams benefit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
What kind of silly argument is this? These are college athletes, not a bunch of 40 year old recreation league players. Josh Adams didn't seem to have an issue with dead legs and he played over 36 minutes a game his senior season.
CowboyJoe
Buckaroo

All arguments against James and Dalton (especially James) can be put to rest by looking at the score every time they check into/out of the game. This team simply can't put points on the board/get stops without them in the game.

I did this for a few of the most recent games and it really puts things into perspective.