@Fresno St

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

stymeman wrote:Gorski was but then disappeared as well, Edwards is a good motivator but somewhat a cry baby when things aren't going his/their way I've noticed. I'm hoping his ways of motivation change over the year(s) Bullying them isn't always the option, get creative and try new things at times.....Utah St isn't great Jalen Moore is really their only option, and Nevada truly scares me next week.
It's hard to maintain any kind of rhythm when you're hot and then get benched for 15 game minutes then thrown back in when the game is already out of hand and you have to chuck prayer the rest of the game. I don't mind Edwards so far but am very concerned with the way he manages his lineups. I don't understand why you would pull Naughton in the UNLV game when he was dominating to never play him again and then last night Gorski was HOT and he sat him and didnt bring him back until the game was out of hand. I just don't understand it.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:
stymeman wrote:Gorski was but then disappeared as well, Edwards is a good motivator but somewhat a cry baby when things aren't going his/their way I've noticed. I'm hoping his ways of motivation change over the year(s) Bullying them isn't always the option, get creative and try new things at times.....Utah St isn't great Jalen Moore is really their only option, and Nevada truly scares me next week.
It's hard to maintain any kind of rhythm when you're hot and then get benched for 15 game minutes then thrown back in when the game is already out of hand and you have to chuck prayer the rest of the game. I don't mind Edwards so far but am very concerned with the way he manages his lineups. I don't understand why you would pull Naughton in the UNLV game when he was dominating to never play him again and then last night Gorski was HOT and he sat him and didnt bring him back until the game was out of hand. I just don't understand it.
I'm with you. I thought he would quit messing around with the lineups so much when conference started. IMO the #1 most important thing when you're a coach is playing the right players the right amount of minutes at the right times.

Edwards is completely overthinking things right now. Start your best players! Play your best players as much as possible while not grinding them down. . Damn, it's not rocket science.

And FFS, don't pull hot players from the game! If Naughton has it going leave him in. Same with Gorski.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

I'm sure happy as hell none of you are coaching this team. Edwards isn't Shyatt forget everything you saw during his time things are changing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Wyo2dal wrote:I'm sure happy as hell none of you are coaching this team. Edwards isn't Shyatt forget everything you saw during his time things are changing.

Why? Because we think the best players should see the lions share of the playing time? What an outlandish thought.

And as far as change, thank god for many of the changes Edwards is bringing. I love the uptempo play and the emphasis on defense turning into offense. Shyatt at times would sacrifice good offense for great defense. It does you no good to keep a team to 45 points if you can't score 46.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote:
Adv8RU12 wrote:How about starting the best for a change: Herndon, James, Dalton, JMac, Adams.
DIng Ding Ding Ding we have a winner!! What the hell is Edwards thinking?

Edwards has got to find a way to get James, our best player, more minutes. It blows my mind. f-word start him!!
Whether he starts the game or stays on the bench for the first five minutes, if you pick up two fouls in two minutes, you're going to be sitting on the bench for the rest of the half.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Wyo2dal wrote:I'm sure happy as hell none of you are coaching this team. Edwards isn't Shyatt forget everything you saw during his time things are changing.

lol. Do you think it's a good idea to play Lieberman and Kelly more than James? And play Dalton ~25 min per game?
Last edited by LanderPoke on Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

joshvanklomp wrote:
LanderPoke wrote:
Adv8RU12 wrote:How about starting the best for a change: Herndon, James, Dalton, JMac, Adams.
DIng Ding Ding Ding we have a winner!! What the hell is Edwards thinking?

Edwards has got to find a way to get James, our best player, more minutes. It blows my mind. f-word start him!!
Whether he starts the game or stays on the bench for the first five minutes, if you pick up two fouls in two minutes, you're going to be sitting on the bench for the rest of the half.
You pick up 3 fouls you sit. You can play with two just fine you just have to be smart. James still only got 12 min the second half. He should have gotten 18.

And concerning starting, every known coach on the planet starts his two best players each half.. except for Edwards.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote:And concerning starting, every known coach on the planet starts his two best players each half.. except for Edwards.
I'm not certain they are our two best players. Dalton yes, but not ready to say that about James yet. He's one of our most talented players, but the mental mistakes prevent him from consistently being one of the best.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

joshvanklomp wrote:
LanderPoke wrote:And concerning starting, every known coach on the planet starts his two best players each half.. except for Edwards.
I'm not certain they are our two best players. Dalton yes, but not ready to say that about James yet. He's one of our most talented players, but the mental mistakes prevent him from consistently being one of the best.
I can agree with your sentiment about Dalton but the problem is, for me, that Kelley, Lieberman, Gorski, JMac and Herndon make just as many, if not more, mistakes than JJ does. Side by side, all things held constant, I would prefer JJ starting and making those mistakes (especially over either Kelley or Liebs).
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

joshvanklomp wrote:
James is the best and most talented player.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 15 times

Edwards has a lot to learn as a head coach still. I'll give him sometime to figure it out. Hopefully he does. I do think if Shyatt was coaching we would have never lost to Pacific or UNLV.

Not sure about USC or Fresno though. We may have still lost both of those games.

I am basing this mainly on the fact that Shyatt teams rarely ever got blown out unless he was missing his star player or players. He didn't really ever lose to a bad team and Pacific and UNLV are both bad.

So Shyatt coached teams win both of those games.

Fresno was on the road in conference so we may have lost it anyways and USC not sure what would have happened. May have been close as it was or may have been completely different if Shyatt played the slow down game and we lose by more than 1 point in overtime.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

Basketball 101 you play your best players, unless they are in trouble somehow or foul trouble or injured. Right, score more points than your opponent and such. That's really all I want, not asking for much there, right?????
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

joshvanklomp wrote:
Opportunity cost. How many fewer mistakes does Lieberman/Kelley make when they are taking those minutes compared to JJ and is that enough to offset the loss of productivity by playing them instead of JJ.

Edwards seems to be hardest on JJ of all the players and I understand why. If he gets it together he can be an all-conference level performer. Teaching time is over however. It's conference play. Every possession counts. You do whatever it takes to win now.

Having said that, in terms of last night, foul trouble changes things.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

NowherePoke wrote:
joshvanklomp wrote:
Opportunity cost. How many fewer mistakes does Lieberman/Kelley make when they are taking those minutes compared to JJ and is that enough to offset the loss of productivity by playing them instead of JJ.

Edwards seems to be hardest on JJ of all the players and I understand why. If he gets it together he can be an all-conference level performer. Teaching time is over however. It's conference play. Every possession counts. You do whatever it takes to win now.

Having said that, in terms of last night, foul trouble changes things.
You say that as if Lieberman and Kelly don't make a poop load of bone headed mistakes. And we need to take defense into account, too. James is far and away the better defender.
Last edited by LanderPoke on Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster

1-2 in conf and 11-5 total isnt' looking as stellar as that loss to USC (which was a "great" loss), it's conference time it's time to show em what we wanna be, Utah St shouldn't be an issue but that Nevada game on the 11th, whew they are the real deal
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

LanderPoke wrote:James is the best and most talented player.
Well, at least he appears to be the most "take charge" player. A budding leader that should be groomed for that role, similar to what Adams was. Of course, Dalton is not far behind.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster

now hopefully once Adams comes off his injury he can be a go to player as well, something we TRULY need
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

seattlecowboy wrote:Edwards has a lot to learn as a head coach still. I'll give him sometime to figure it out. Hopefully he does. I do think if Shyatt was coaching we would have never lost to Pacific or UNLV.

Not sure about USC or Fresno though. We may have still lost both of those games.

I am basing this mainly on the fact that Shyatt teams rarely ever got blown out unless he was missing his star player or players. He didn't really ever lose to a bad team and Pacific and UNLV are both bad.

Fresno was on the road in conference so we may have lost it anyways and USC not sure what would have happened. May have been close as it was or may have been completely different if Shyatt played the slow down game and we lose by more than 1 point in overtime.
Ft. Lewis might qualify as a bad team.....................
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

CowboyNV wrote:
seattlecowboy wrote:Edwards has a lot to learn as a head coach still. I'll give him sometime to figure it out. Hopefully he does. I do think if Shyatt was coaching we would have never lost to Pacific or UNLV.

Ft. Lewis might qualify as a bad team.....................
I've never understood the blind eye this board turned to Shyatt.... His record was nothing to brag about. He pulled us out of the Shroyer hole but anyone who can tie their shoes and hold a basketball could have done that... Shyatt leaving was no big loss. He was 1 lucky weekend away from 4 straight CBI appearances.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

LanderPoke wrote:
joshvanklomp wrote:
James is the best and most talented player.
He is certainly talented, but there is so much more than that that matters. Maybe he is a total asshole, and doesn't listen to the coaches or do what they ask of him at practice, so he is benched as punishment. Maybe he asks not to start because he feels he is better off the bench than starting. Maybe he is sick or injured and his playing time is restricted to a only a set number of minutes per game.

All of these factors could be happening, but since we aren't a part of the program, we don't know. You act like talent and skill are the only thing that matters, but there is a LOT more that goes in to making play decisions than that.