Nevada Game

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

NowherePoke wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:40 am
pokecountant wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:19 am Who would have guessed that J-Mac hit his peak 2 seasons ago? I guess it was a function of his only real responsibilities when Nance & Co. were there was to catch it, shoot it and take the occasional charge. Now he's asked to do WAY more than he has the tools to accomplish. Coaches loyalty often blinds them.
I agree with the concept that he is being asked to do more than he is capable/comfortable doing, but hitting his peak 2 seasons ago? No way. By far his best season was last year. 44% from 3, 14 ppg, etc. One of the best perimeter shooting seasons in the history of UW basketball. He was only a bit player (7th guy) that shot a respectable percentage 2 years ago. He was very good last year when he could play off of Josh Adams.

His decline this year is partially the fact that he is being asked to do too much, but I think it is also the fact that we no longer have an offense with consistent ball and player movement that generates quality looks. Our current strategy is too push the ball up the floor quickly and look for quick offense in transition or before the defense is settled. If we have to work it in the half-court, we set a couple of predictable/half-hearted screens and launch a 3. We are so easy to defend. Players like Naughton (inside) and JMac (outside) would be so much better in a Shyatt offense, but they aren't really equipped to "go get their own" like this offense requires.

Of course, that makes the rotations particularly interesting. We have a strategy that places a premium on individual playmaking, but then we give significant minutes to players that function better in a controlled/designed offense. I think you have to go one way or the other. If we are just going to turn them loose, then play James/Adams/Dalton the bulk of the minutes and tell them to go to work. If we are going to play Gorski/JMac/Lieberman, then we need to be prepared to execute in the halfcourt.
The offense is nearly identical to Shyatt's offense with taking threes being the focus instead of passing it around and running down the clock. McManamen has been bad because he's trying to do too much. He's a role player without Josh Adams to take care of him. He needs to accept that and stop trying to force the senior leader crap.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

I'm seeing too many of our players hurrying their shots - taking (3 point) shots while still moving sideways. There is a little too much hurry up in this hurry up offense.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

not impressed with this one at all!!!!