Nevada Game

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
FarmerPoke
Cowpoke

Beyond frustrating game to watch. Why the hell does Naughton get no burn? When we lost to USC, we made huge runs every time he was on the floor. When he was taken out with 6 minutes left we lost our inside presence and rebounding edge and Naughton never saw the floor again in that game. Tonight the ESPN announcers on multiple occasions wondered why Naughton was taken out of the game since our only decent run was made with him on the floor. Without him on the floor, we have zero.... ZZEEEERRRROOOOOOOOOO interior presence. Sigh.............. rant over..... I'm not the coach.
FarmerPoke
Cowpoke

Also, Jmac has been a waste of space so far in conference.
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

While Nevada looks good now, by the time the tourney rolls around I think their starting five will be completely out of gas. Their starters played 178 minutes, while their bench played 22 today. This is a recipe for disaster for them.

Pokes flat got whipped today, but you can't play your starting 5 that much and expect them to be around in March. It isn't going to happen. I have no idea what Edwards is thinking in the rotation, but our guys should not be gassed come March. :lol:
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 144 times

FarmerPoke wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:03 pm Also, Jmac has been a waste of space so far in conference.
Mostly this. We really miss his production
W-Y, Until I Die!
davidwyo
Ranch Hand

We will lose a lot more games if we solely rely on 3 point land. If the 3's are not falling then work the ball inside. Agree that Jason hasn't done poop, he is not the same player he was his sophomore and junior year. Its as if he's tired and just wants his degree and that's it.

Regarding Coach Edwards - what the F@ck, quit yanking guys in an out every damn game. Play your best players for as long as possible. That means figure out your match ups before the game and stick with it. Guys can't even get in a rhythm or create any chemistry if they play 2 minutes here 3 minutes there.

Conference play is going to SUCK if we keep this crap up. Need some discipline, Shyatt Discipline ASAP. We are so inconsistent. I will say our two best players that hustle and work their butts off are Dalton and James. Regarding the point guard position, we keep splitting time between Cody and Lieberman, pick one like Shyatt did and play them most the game. You can't have two CEO's and you can't have two point guards or two quarterbacks. Its cute, but its stupid.

Frustrated like everyone else.
davidwyo
Ranch Hand

FarmerPoke wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:03 pm Also, Jmac has been a waste of space so far in conference.
Completely agree, JMac is seeing way to much playing time and not producing. JMac, loved you and still know you can be an asset to the pokes, but you NEED TO STEP IT UP my friend.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

wyocowboy2014 wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:24 pm Why is Jason still on the floor? He has made one bucket and been lazy on defense.
Jmac had some of the laziest, poop defense I've ever seen. How bad does he have to suck before we sit him?
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Wyo2dal wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:45 pm For all of you constantly bitching about why James doesn't play 35+ mins a game after this game you should quit asking why because this has been a prime example of why.

Now Dalton has added a perfect example as to why he also doesn't play 35+ mins a game. Those bad decisions when a pass wasn't even needed we're already down by double digits and those fouls and turnovers are exactly what we don't need.
Uh, did you notice none of those last three fouls were actually fouls? Did you also notice we went on a run every time he was in? Weird how that works, huh? We got absolutely f-word slaughtered whenever he wasn't in.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

wyocowboy2014 wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:51 pm
Vapoke wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:47 pm James and Dalton are the only guys playing hard for this team every game. Jason has quit since conference and aka Gorski is so pathetic to watch on defense he looks like a marshmallow he plays so soft
I would say Andrew has played very hard when Allen has actually put him out there. Kelley is always hustling even if the talent isn't always there. I think Lou has also continued to hustle.
+1. Jmac is the only one I see sulking and not trying on defense.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Cosmic Cowboy wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:02 pm They need to involve Naughton more on O. He was dangerous out there tonight, gives us more inside/outside in some games.
I agree. He was a force in the middle.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

LanderPoke wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:42 pm
Wyo2dal wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:45 pm For all of you constantly bitching about why James doesn't play 35+ mins a game after this game you should quit asking why because this has been a prime example of why.

Now Dalton has added a perfect example as to why he also doesn't play 35+ mins a game. Those bad decisions when a pass wasn't even needed we're already down by double digits and those fouls and turnovers are exactly what we don't need.
Uh, did you notice none of those last three fouls were actually fouls? Did you also notice we went on a run every time he was in? Weird how that works, huh? We got absolutely f-word slaughtered whenever he wasn't in.
You're clueless about Basketball that's quite obvious so I'm done responding to your asinine posts enjoy watching the rest of the year.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Wyo2dal wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:33 pm

You're clueless about Basketball that's quite obvious so I'm done responding to your asinine posts enjoy watching the rest of the year.
:rofl: What was the prime example of why JJ doesn't get more minutes? His great rebounding? Awesome defense? Maybe his awesome ability to get to the rim and draw 2-3 defenders with him? i'm seriously missing your point. Go back, watch the game and let me know how the team did when he was in vs. when he was out
Cosmic Cowboy
A Real Cowboy

LanderPoke wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:37 pm

:rofl: What was the prime example of why JJ doesn't get more minutes? His great rebounding? Awesome defense? Maybe his awesome ability to get to the rim and draw 2-3 defenders with him? i'm seriously missing your point. Go back, watch the game and let me know how the team did when he was in vs. when he was out
Big problem is he fouled out. JJ has TO's too and needs to up his FT%. I agree that he is a big force for the team on the court, he went hard today. I'm not gonna hate on his performance other then I wish he didn't foul on that last play. Team needs as many minutes as they can out of him. I think he should start over J McMan for a game at least now. Maybe McMan needs to learn how to spark the bench.
Riding High!!!
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Cosmic Cowboy wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:21 pm

Big problem is he fouled out. JJ has TO's too and needs to up his FT%. I agree that he is a big force for the team on the court, he went hard today. I'm not gonna hate on his performance other then I wish he didn't foul on that last play. Team needs as many minutes as they can out of him. I think he should start over J McMan for a game at least now. Maybe McMan needs to learn how to spark the bench.
What I saw on the play that JJ fouled out on was Dalton's legs were so tired that he completely let his man go right around him which caused JJ to have to try to cut him off from the basket. That is why some players on this team can't play for 35 minutes.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
Cosmic Cowboy
A Real Cowboy

WYCowboy wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:44 pm What I saw on the play that JJ fouled out on was Dalton's legs were so tired that he completely let his man go right around him which caused JJ to have to try to cut him off from the basket. That is why some players on this team can't play for 35 minutes.
He needed to not foul there and just give up that bucket. If he stays in the Pokes score more and maybe he takes a Nevada player or 2 with him in foul trouble. He'd be a little of a defensive liability down the stretch that you get to take your chances with or other players helping out. Dalton did get scorched there...not sure if it was conditioning or what. He was in a long spell there.

Man the more I think about this game the more disappointed I am. We got out everything'ed today...is that even a word? Thought we got out coached, out matched, out played, and out executed. Like we were weeks behind Nevada at home. Just a bummer :punch:
Riding High!!!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

James was +2 in case anyone was wondering. In a game where you otherwise get your ass kicked that's a big deal.
pokecountant
Ranch Hand

Who would have guessed that J-Mac hit his peak 2 seasons ago? I guess it was a function of his only real responsibilities when Nance & Co. were there was to catch it, shoot it and take the occasional charge. Now he's asked to do WAY more than he has the tools to accomplish. Coaches loyalty often blinds them.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

pokecountant wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:19 am Who would have guessed that J-Mac hit his peak 2 seasons ago? I guess it was a function of his only real responsibilities when Nance & Co. were there was to catch it, shoot it and take the occasional charge. Now he's asked to do WAY more than he has the tools to accomplish. Coaches loyalty often blinds them.
I agree with the concept that he is being asked to do more than he is capable/comfortable doing, but hitting his peak 2 seasons ago? No way. By far his best season was last year. 44% from 3, 14 ppg, etc. One of the best perimeter shooting seasons in the history of UW basketball. He was only a bit player (7th guy) that shot a respectable percentage 2 years ago. He was very good last year when he could play off of Josh Adams.

His decline this year is partially the fact that he is being asked to do too much, but I think it is also the fact that we no longer have an offense with consistent ball and player movement that generates quality looks. Our current strategy is too push the ball up the floor quickly and look for quick offense in transition or before the defense is settled. If we have to work it in the half-court, we set a couple of predictable/half-hearted screens and launch a 3. We are so easy to defend. Players like Naughton (inside) and JMac (outside) would be so much better in a Shyatt offense, but they aren't really equipped to "go get their own" like this offense requires.

Of course, that makes the rotations particularly interesting. We have a strategy that places a premium on individual playmaking, but then we give significant minutes to players that function better in a controlled/designed offense. I think you have to go one way or the other. If we are just going to turn them loose, then play James/Adams/Dalton the bulk of the minutes and tell them to go to work. If we are going to play Gorski/JMac/Lieberman, then we need to be prepared to execute in the halfcourt.
pokecountant
Ranch Hand

NowherePoke wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:40 am
pokecountant wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:19 am Who would have guessed that J-Mac hit his peak 2 seasons ago? I guess it was a function of his only real responsibilities when Nance & Co. were there was to catch it, shoot it and take the occasional charge. Now he's asked to do WAY more than he has the tools to accomplish. Coaches loyalty often blinds them.
I agree with the concept that he is being asked to do more than he is capable/comfortable doing, but hitting his peak 2 seasons ago? No way. By far his best season was last year. 44% from 3, 14 ppg, etc. One of the best perimeter shooting seasons in the history of UW basketball. He was only a bit player (7th guy) that shot a respectable percentage 2 years ago. He was very good last year when he could play off of Josh Adams.

His decline this year is partially the fact that he is being asked to do too much, but I think it is also the fact that we no longer have an offense with consistent ball and player movement that generates quality looks. Our current strategy is too push the ball up the floor quickly and look for quick offense in transition or before the defense is settled. If we have to work it in the half-court, we set a couple of predictable/half-hearted screens and launch a 3. We are so easy to defend. Players like Naughton (inside) and JMac (outside) would be so much better in a Shyatt offense, but they aren't really equipped to "go get their own" like this offense requires.

Of course, that makes the rotations particularly interesting. We have a strategy that places a premium on individual playmaking, but then we give significant minutes to players that function better in a controlled/designed offense. I think you have to go one way or the other. If we are just going to turn them loose, then play James/Adams/Dalton the bulk of the minutes and tell them to go to work. If we are going to play Gorski/JMac/Lieberman, then we need to be prepared to execute in the halfcourt.

Just using a bit of hyperbole to illustrate my point that his role has changed while his skill set has not. ;)
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

NowherePoke wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:40 am

Of course, that makes the rotations particularly interesting. We have a strategy that places a premium on individual playmaking, but then we give significant minutes to players that function better in a controlled/designed offense. I think you have to go one way or the other. If we are just going to turn them loose, then play James/Adams/Dalton the bulk of the minutes and tell them to go to work. If we are going to play Gorski/JMac/Lieberman, Kelly, then we need to be prepared to execute in the halfcourt.
In other words players that are borderline D-1 athletes that need a system to hide the fact that they have only one positive basketball skill - a supposed ability to shoot from three point range.

At this point it's obvious that we need to stop shooting so many threes. We need to let players that can drive and create do it (Dalton, James, Adams, and sometimes Herndon) or work it inside to our semi-capable post scorers (Naughton, Herndon). We need to abandon the strategy of living and dying by the three. Maybe get Moemeka in there more to get offensive rebounds?